Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wireless vs Wired  (Read 4810 times)

unofornaio

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Wireless vs Wired
« on: August 04, 2007, 10:45:16 AM »

Hi all,
I recently trenched to do sprinklers and was thinking of running wires for 2 cameras on my entry gates, about 125 feet from the house. My question is if I go with the wired cameras:
1. Can I still view them in say Iwitness and my house on line? I already have them both.
2. Do I have to use x-10 wired cameras or can I use another brand and still have them work with the above software?
3. I have ScS Cable that I got from a computer friend of mine (it has a light blue sheathing) several boxes will this work?
4. I will also have 110 wire in this trench. Will the 2  be ok together (interference, etc.)? the 110 is underground cable made for direct burial and it will serve the gate openers and some lights.
5. I guess I should ask also if I can mix cameras I already have 3 wireless?

My thoughts here are to be able to see all the cameras from the comp when I'm home or when I'm out of town. Actually what would be really cool would be to have a mini LCD screen by the front door that I could look at instead of going to the office to look but still having that option. Is this crazy thought? Is it possible? ...I know I know  ::) anything is possible for the right price but seriously would it be too much to do something  like that. I'm completely remodeling the house so access is wide open.

Lots of questions sorry, but you guys are the best on this stuff.
Thank for you help
J.Palmisano

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: Wireless vs Wired
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 09:14:13 PM »

Actually what would be really cool would be to have a mini LCD screen by the front door that I could look at instead of going to the office to look but still having that option. Is this crazy thought? Is it possible? ...I know I know  ::) anything is possible for the right price but seriously would it be too much to do something  like that.

How about a cheap LCD Pocket TV for the door monitor?
Assuming you buy one that has a direct audio/video input (not just off-air antenna) you could use a cheap push-button manual audio/video switch box to select cameras!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

unofornaio

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 09:24:41 PM »

There you go.. great idea, it could work. Thanks for the reply I appreciate it.

I'm hoping others will reply as well, I really need the other questions answered but I'm not holding out much hope at this point. There was another thread about this but it just didn't answer the questions I have.

Thanks again

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 10:47:24 PM »

Hi all,
I recently trenched to do sprinklers and was thinking of running wires for 2 cameras on my entry gates, about 125 feet from the house. My question is if I go with the wired cameras:

1. Can I still view them in say Iwitness and my house on line? I already have them both.

Yes. 125 feet isn't a problem for wired X10 cameras. Using CAT5 I have read of test lengths up to 1000 feet.

2. Do I have to use x-10 wired cameras or can I use another brand and still have them work with the above software?

It would depend on which camera you select... and with other brands... your guess is as good as mine.

3. I have ScS Cable that I got from a computer friend of mine (it has a light blue sheathing) several boxes will this work?

I don't know what ScS is.... you could do a test. It is best to test your setup BEFORE you bury wire anyway.

4. I will also have 110 wire in this trench. Will the 2  be ok together (interference, etc.)? the 110 is underground cable made for direct burial and it will serve the gate openers and some lights.

It should be OK.... but you could use the cheap flexiable conduit for the camera cables just to be sure. P.S. I buired an EXTRA cable wire my camera wires.... just to be sure.

5. I guess I should ask also if I can mix cameras I already have 3 wireless?

X10 wired and wireless...... YES. I also use BOTH.

My thoughts here are to be able to see all the cameras from the comp when I'm home or when I'm out of town. Actually what would be really cool would be to have a mini LCD screen by the front door that I could look at instead of going to the office to look but still having that option. Is this crazy thought? Is it possible? ...I know I know  ::) anything is possible for the right price but seriously would it be too much to do something  like that. I'm completely remodeling the house so access is wide open.

I like Bill's hand-held TV idea. But you could also use the 7" screens used with car DVD players. And I re-broardcast my video using video sender/receivers. You can also use the VGA video sender.

Sounds like you have the makings of a GREAT project. Please keep us informed.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

unofornaio

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 12:06:24 AM »

Thank you, thank you, thank you I believe your post answered all my questions.

On the front of the Cable box it reads:
SYSTIMAX - SCS Cable
AVAYA
On the sheathing it reads:
1061c= 4/24 cm verified cat 5E
There are 4 sets of wires inside green-blue-orange and brown and all have a white twisted with them. Looks like 4 phone wires to me but they are pretty heavy duty. AL I know is I have about 8 boxes of this stuff. I hope its good.

This might as well be in Geek Greek, it means nothing to me. What other cool stuff that I would have no clue how to do can I use this cable for?...stick to electronic related uses please. ::)

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 01:00:21 PM »

On the sheathing it reads:
1061c= 4/24 cm verified cat 5E

There are 4 sets of wires inside green-blue-orange and brown and all have a white twisted with them.

Sounds (reads) to me like you have a few thousand feet of CAT5. If you look closely at the wires you should see that the "white wires" also have a color stripe on them (matching the color wire they twist with).

You not only have a treasure trove of wire there...... you have a potential hobby. Do some reseach... then pick youself up a tool for installing the (different) ends on the wire.

CAT5 can be used for: cameras, hardwire ethernet, phones, hardwire alarm systems, door bells, intercoms, long range video displays, microphones, and some (small) speaker setups. It also makes an excellent Christmas or Birthday gift for the do-it-yourselfer.

unofornaio

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 10:56:28 PM »

Hey thanks again Dave most of the cool stuff I want to do at the house is on that list. Hey I might not have the hardware to do it now but while I have the walls apart I might as well run the @#$ out of the cable and rough it in.  I love stuff like this (technology) I can do most anything related to building and I'm a mason by trade so the hands on part is not a problem it the brain work that gets me. I see all of these post on here where you guys take stuff and re-wire it or add this or that and it just gets me excited that all of this is possible and most of the time with just off the shelf stuff.
I really envy you guys and when I post here its because I KNOW that I will get good reliable information. In todays world of "pretend customer service" and my favorite "Home Depot pro" talk about an oxy moran, it feels good to ask for help and actually get it.

Thanks again
J.Palmisano

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 11:16:31 PM »

Hey thanks unofornaio for the kind words! This forum really is all about customer service.... but only when you consider.... we are just customers too. Like myself, almost everyone here [at the forums] are volunteers.

Like yourself we like the futuristic home automation stuff. By the way.... have you checked out the BXVC and BVC threads? Your going to love this stuff!!!

« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 09:59:11 PM by Dave_x10_L »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.