Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Can Wireless cameras be converted to wired ?  (Read 200708 times)

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: Can Wireless cameras be converted to wired ?
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2008, 01:24:26 PM »

I have Vanguard, I assume that that will do it

I have never used Vanguard so I can't confirm that it will work. But it will need to have the ability to receive X10 signals (from sensors or whatever you are using to determine which camera to activate) and be able to execute macros for controlling the power to the wireless video receiver.

stevegipson

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2009, 02:24:24 PM »

bronco: I just use the one modulator. I actually have 7 cameras that have all their videos tied together, as well as their audios tied together, to create just the one input to the modulator. I use motion sensors & AHP macros to control them so that only one camera will be on at any one time.

Since I use my dedicated home automation PC's TV card to record (via a VCR Commander), I needed all camera signals to appear on just one channel.

That modulator works so good, I plan on getting another to transmit the currently tuned digital TV channel to all the analog TV's as well.

Puck - Do you have an example of the Macro you are using to turn on one camera at a time via appliance modules?

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2009, 03:34:46 PM »

I got these neat little passive? units from a local tv guy call diplexors. They have one cable input that comes from your digital cable system, in my case a dish and multiswitch. Then it provides two outputs. One output goes to the sat input of the receiver box and the other output goes to the antenna in on the sat receiver. Then while the remote has focus on the sat box you can hit input and there is the modulated video you are jamming back into the same line as the digital is running on. For example. I can unplug my sat drive going to my sat receiver in the basement, plug in the output of an RF modulator and the diplexors upstairs allow the tvs to see the analog camera connected to the rf mod in the basement.

Big deal, I just thought someone could use this info.

BTW, Thanks for the wired pinout Puck. I'm going to convert one proto.
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2009, 03:56:53 PM »

Big deal, I just thought someone could use this info.

It IS a big deal!

How we collect, review and use the cameras and video is important. I ran my own "internal cable system" using auto switching modulators so if a camera is triggered ON.. while I have a TV on.. It is automatically displayed on the TV. After all... we call this automation.

Of course... being a big BVC fan.. my HA computer announces when a camera is turned ON. In some cases the detection and camera is announced on an OUTSIDE speaker also.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 02:53:56 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2009, 08:34:11 AM »

Puck - Do you have an example of the Macro you are using to turn on one camera at a time via appliance modules?

Welcome to the forum stevegipson. There are a couple of ways you can handle the camera switching macros when using just appliance modules for power:

The simplest method: When you turn one on, you also send the commands to turn each of the others off.

Using Flags: Designate a status flag for each camera. When you trigger a macro to turn one on, you use "else conditions" to check if any other camera is currently on (looking at each designated flag). If another status flag is set, then the macro will turn just that camera off, turn the new camera on, clear the old flag & set the new flag. If no flag is set, then you just turn on the camera and set its status flag.

The flags method is more complicated, but I recommend using flags if your cameras are controlled by motion sensors. This way when a camera switches, the previous motion sensor's off signal can be ignored so the camera that is currently on does not get turned off until its dedicated motion sensor sends an off signal.

I originally had my macros set up this way and when I factored in all the various action combinations based on daytime/nighttime - home/away, the number of the else conditions per macro was enormous. At that point I purchased some auto-switching camera power supplies from X10 to use instead of appliance modules. However, I still use dedicated flags for each camera to make sure another zone doesn't turn off the wrong camera.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 08:45:21 AM by Puck »

stevegipson

« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2009, 02:16:48 PM »

Welcome to the forum stevegipson. There are a couple of ways you can handle the camera switching macros when using just appliance modules for power:

The simplest method: When you turn one on, you also send the commands to turn each of the others off.

Using Flags: Designate a status flag for each camera. When you trigger a macro to turn one on, you use "else conditions" to check if any other camera is currently on (looking at each designated flag). If another status flag is set, then the macro will turn just that camera off, turn the new camera on, clear the old flag & set the new flag. If no flag is set, then you just turn on the camera and set its status flag.

The flags method is more complicated, but I recommend using flags if your cameras are controlled by motion sensors. This way when a camera switches, the previous motion sensor's off signal can be ignored so the camera that is currently on does not get turned off until its dedicated motion sensor sends an off signal.

I originally had my macros set up this way and when I factored in all the various action combinations based on daytime/nighttime - home/away, the number of the else conditions per macro was enormous. At that point I purchased some auto-switching camera power supplies from X10 to use instead of appliance modules. However, I still use dedicated flags for each camera to make sure another zone doesn't turn off the wrong camera.

Thanks Puck - I can see where flags would be a better way to go and that I need to do some additional research on the sue of flags.  BTW do you know the part number for the auto-switching power supplies that you ended up going with?  Thanks agian for your help!!

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2009, 12:30:35 AM »

BTW do you know the part number for the auto-switching power supplies that you ended up going with?

ScanCam Addressable Power Supply (XM10A)

Flippedkaos

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2009, 09:48:18 PM »

I dont understand if you use a phone wire tto connect the video and audio how do you convert that back to rca jacks please help

Craer

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2009, 05:22:24 PM »

so ya im still confused... i have a old wireless cam that i want to make wired. so not on the cam i have a 8V power a ground and a video going to a transmiter and power and neg going to cam for power. i dont no how to make the leads to the wifi to rca some one help

cockbubi

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2009, 03:50:35 PM »

I have a couple of questions regarding using the original x10 power supply. 

Is it ok to run the power through a Cat5 Cable with the audio and video?  It would be nice if all the power supplies were in the same location rather then finding a plug close to the camera

Is there any limit to distance a distance the power supply?

If i have Cat5 with 8 wires, what should i do with the two power wires (Red and White) from the addressable power supply?

Thanks

HA Dave

« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2009, 04:53:33 PM »

Is it ok to run the power through a Cat5 Cable with the audio and video?  It would be nice if all the power supplies were in the same location rather then finding a plug close to the camera.

Yes I did it the other day testing for a new camera/location... sorta. In my case the camera remained wireless... but I was extending the power using CAT5. See HERE.

Is there any limit to distance a distance the power supply?

I am sure there is some limit... a few hunderd feet maybe. I have read the wired cameras can be extended (using CAT5) as far as 1000 feet. I have a wireless that I've extended the power supply on by about 60 feet. It's always best to test your setup before mounting.

If i have Cat5 with 8 wires, what should i do with the two power wires (Red and White) from the addressable power supply?

On the wireless camera: the Red and White wire are both Pos (+)... you can twist them together for that matter. The Black wire is the Neg (-). If you don't see the Black wire... you may be back to the point where it is the shielding around the Red and White.

jlo

« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2009, 10:25:49 AM »

i have two wired and two wireless cams also and want to convert them over to wired.
i have the two wired anaconada's plugged into the back of a  dvr with 320g hd. which is easy cause they came with the adaptor from rj11 to rca.
so i need to know once i join the phone wires from the camera to a longer phone wire with the rj11 plug @ one end where can i get the adaptor to convert it to rca or can that be made also.
and the power supply that came with the camera do i still need to use this
and can i just get rid of the whole thing inside the camera once i take it apart and cut the wires.
thx jlo

HA Dave

« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2009, 01:55:36 PM »

i have two wired and two wireless cams also and want to convert them over to wired.

I think Puck did the 1st wireless to wired conversion... but others have followed his lead. 

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2010, 01:12:11 PM »

Thanks Puck for doing all the footwork.
Today I finally got around to replacing a B/W Remingtom security camera in the studio with the color cam from a ninja. Xcam2 I think it is.

Anyway it all was very simple and I now have living color.

One helpful for you from me.

:Ron
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

fastplymouth

« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2011, 07:17:43 PM »

Hey all,

Just to wrap up this thread I thought I'd post my photos from this mod. This was performed on an xcam2.

I left the power and ground wires intact as I still wanted to be able to use the addressable supplies.

Note that I punched one of the holes out covered by the sticker on the bottom of the camera housing in order to get the A/V wires into the housing. This will definitely alter the weather resistance of your camera - make sure you seal up any new holes with silicone caulk if you will be using it outside.

Also, your best bet is to tin the camera wires you will be connecting to as they are very small gauge.

>*<
Good Luck!

EDIT: Yeah, I guess it would help if I posted the photos...  :'

http://img23.imageshack.us/g/imag0344y.jpg/
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 11:50:48 AM by fastplymouth »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.