Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: *ONE* THREAD for Unsigned VA11A Driver and Windows Vista!  (Read 429770 times)

david_l

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Windows Vista & Unsigned X10 Drivers [D]
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2007, 12:40:33 AM »

Well, the new DST schedule forced me to get this puppy going on my new Vista x64 system.

Here's What I did:

Create a restore point (always a good idea when "experimenting" with legacy
hardware on a Vista system.

Plugged in CM15 first - let it pull drivers off windows update.

Installed Active Home pro using original .exe (download program).
(had a run.dll error - when trying up update other x10 programs - might be better to say "no" when it asks).

Restart the computer (run.dll errors make me nervous).

Ran Active Home - It sees the interface ok.
Loaded my old .ahx file.
Works, but program doesn't remember the settings after a restart.
Also - There's an update, but Active Home Pro is unable to get it.

Must right-click on the ActiveHm.exe (or the start menu link) and select "properties"
Select the Compatibility Tab, and Check "run as administrator".  It must be trying to write to the "c" drive which is a no-no with the new security.

You now have to run from an admin account and authorize the program each time it runs.

darkstarz

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • USMC - Semper Fi - Once a Marine, Always a Marine
    • Darkstarz World
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2007, 03:59:19 PM »

I am about to install Windows Vista.  In the readiness section it advised me that I would have to find a new driver for Active Home Pro after installation.  I cannot find it on the website.  Can you help.

Windows Update will automatically update the CM15A for you with the newest driver, no issues there. Just can't use the VA11A Video Capture adaper is all, which still seems to be an ongoing issue. I've been checking X10's website daily and still see no mention of the issues that exist with Windows Vista and Active Home Pro, and it's Plug-in's. I've been waiting patiently for over a month now, and am begining to think there isn't going to be any solution for thos of us that have upgraded to Vista, making our "purchased" products totally useless. Yet they continue to sell to the unsuspecting and refuse to put any notice ont heir websites or emails in regards to Vista and X10 products. After being a loyal customer for over 5 years, I'm starting to look elsewhere for things that actually work. Kind of sux really.
Larry S.
http://www.darkstarz.com
The impossible we do immediately,
Miracles may take us a day longer.

darkstarz

• Darkstarz World
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2007, 12:37:30 PM »

Well it seems things are moving right along here at X10 folks! Just got an update on the latest and greatest as follows;

"Greetings!

We do not expect to have VA11A drivers for Vista until May 1st at the very earliest. Other X10 hardware should work OK. Remember, a Microsoft operating system is not really trustworthy until the first Service Pack comes out. If you have any more questions, please reply to this email. Thanks for choosing X10!

X10 Email Support
http://kbase.x10.com/"

Pretty nice huh!   >:(  NOT!

Larry S.

webscott

Re: Unsigned VA11A Driver and Windows Vista [B]
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2007, 09:13:51 AM »

A friend of mine updated to Vista and uses AHP and the CM15A. When he reinstalled AHP and plugged the CM15 to the usb port and rebooted, Windows saw the interface and reported it properly in the Hardware.

In short, AHP and the CM15A WILL work with Vista.

??? How did it setup? I am aware that the best option is to wait for an update but I just thought I would ask the following.

Can you explain a step by step so that I can reattempt for the 7th time on my new Vista computer?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 12:35:52 PM by webscott »

memac259

Problems Installing Multiview (VA11A) Under Windows Vista [E]
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2007, 09:06:00 PM »

"x10 va11a usb capture adapter install error-code 10"......................I keep receiving this message while attempting to install the capture adapter.  I am using microsoft Vista--------apparently that will be a problem???  Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Mike

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Unsigned VA11A Driver and Windows Vista [B]
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2007, 11:22:25 PM »

Exactly like you would under WindowsXP if it lost the interface.

If you have a brand new Vista computer, just install AHP and the CM15A just like you first did on XP. The install directions came in the e-mail when you first ordered AHP/CM15A from X10USA.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

memac259

« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2007, 08:53:25 AM »

So I'm taking it from this discussion that when I called customer service before I ordered Multiview and asked about it working with Vista, they gave me bad information.  Now I have it and I can't get it to work.........I guess the same issues you all have been discussing and I won't be able to use it till May 1st when they update.  Is this correct???

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2007, 01:38:18 PM »

So I'm taking it from this discussion that when I called customer service before I ordered Multiview and asked about it working with Vista, they gave me bad information....
I believed the correct term would be "lied to you" unless they keep marketing and customer service in the dark for "plausible deniability". Then the term would be deception.

Unlike previous releases of Windows, Vista has been in beta plenty long enough for companies to have at least preliminary drivers. It amazes me as to how many software companies including X10 that haven't written drivers yet.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Microsoft Vista Problems
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2007, 09:34:15 PM »

« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 01:31:49 PM by Puck »

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Problems Installing Multiview (VA11A) Under Windows Vista [E]
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2007, 11:40:25 PM »

Right now there is no Vista driver available for the va11a.

This has been discussed here, a search for VA11A problems in Vista would be helpful. There is a possibility a VA11 Vista driver from X10 may released in May.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

darkstarz

• Darkstarz World
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2007, 01:03:16 PM »

I would definitely let them know you are not a happy customer, as this is something I have been saying and commenting on to them and others hear about for weeks on end now and have asked that they put something on their website ASAP in regards to compatability issues with Vista. But NNNNnnoooooooo........ They just don't get it. All they see is the damn $ sign.
  But they do have a money back gaurantee, so I'd take advantage of it now. Don't waste your time with complaining to them, they won't listen even though they like to make you think they are.
Larry S.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2007, 02:38:33 PM »

Unlike previous releases of Windows, Vista has been in beta plenty long enough for companies to have at least preliminary drivers. It amazes me as to how many software companies including X10 that haven't written drivers yet.

Never mind Microsoft's commitment that their "new" (for ME and XP) WDM format was suppose solve this issue by creating a standard that would ensure basic compatibility with future versions of Windows.   ::)
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

MichaelC

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2007, 07:15:09 PM »

Microsoft has not required anyone to write new drivers for Vista, and unless a company wants it to be certified "Works with Vista" or "Vista Premium" there's no need to even get an existing driver signed again. Any driver signed for Windows 2000 or XP is supposed to work fine under Vista. So, the WDM model does work in this case, with one exception: unsigned drivers.

Unfortunately, that one exception is where the problem with the VA11A falls. X10 never had the VA11A driver signed by Microsoft (for a couple valid reasons) and the VA11A driver can't be signed in its current form. In order to submit it for signing, X10 will need to rewrite parts of it.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2007, 01:28:43 AM »

...X10 never had the VA11A driver signed by Microsoft (for a couple valid reasons) and the VA11A driver can't be signed in its current form....
And those "valid reasons" would be? Inquiring minds want to know.

BTW... Why couldn't X10 of told us this instead of their BS excuse?

MichealC: While I have no idea why you left X10 and it's none of my business anyway, I do appreciate your frequenting this forum and sharing your knowledge,
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

MichaelC

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2007, 01:45:46 PM »

And those "valid reasons" would be? Inquiring minds want to know.

The main one had to do with the device ID conflict with the Intel PC Camera Pro. That conflict -- not X10's fault, and something that wasn't supposed to happen according to the USB specifications and system as it was supposed to work  -- is the reason that when you plug in a VA11A to an XP system it first shows up as the Intel device. For a while the conflict didn't allow us to sign the VA11A driver, based on Microsoft's driver signing rules. Last year, I think, we talked with Microsoft and they gave us some guidelines for what we could do to sign the driver. We had plans to make the changes, but they were always lower priority than new plug-ins, the Icon Remote, etc.

As for why X10 hasn't explained this in recent communication with them, I'd have to guess that the people communicating with customers don't know the information (and don't know that it's something that they could know), and don't have contact with the developers who could have told them.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.