Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: *ONE* THREAD for Unsigned VA11A Driver and Windows Vista!  (Read 429761 times)

bnocturnal

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Re: Windows Vista & Unsigned X10 Drivers [D]
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2007, 11:38:17 PM »

Guys,

I found a way to get the VA11A working in Vista... at least it worked for me.  Some of this may need to be done as the administrator.  I have UAC turned off, so I am not sure. ;-)

1.  After installing the drivers along with ActiveHome/Iwitness or Vanguard or with X10Drivers.exe, plug in tha VA11A
2. Vista will attempt and fail to install the drivers.
3. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\X10\DriverInstall\VA11A Video Capture"
4. Open the file CA506AV.inf in Notepad and find the following section:

[SPCA506AV.CopyDrivers]
CA506AV.SYS
STREAM.SYS

[SPCA506AV.CopyCodec]
IYUV_32.DLL
MSH263.DRV

5.  Change that section as shown below... (add semicolons in front of 3 lines...

[SPCA506AV.CopyDrivers]
CA506AV.SYS

;STREAM.SYS

[SPCA506AV.CopyCodec]
;IYUV_32.DLL
;MSH263.DRV

6. Save the file, and close notepad
7. In the device manager (Right-Click on "My Computer" and choose Manage) Expand the USB section and find the VA11A that should show up there as a non-working device.
8. Open the device, and chooose "Re-install driver".  Tell vista you want to locate the driver yourself, and browse to the folder above.
9.  Vista should warn you the driver is unsigned, but allow you to install anyway.

------------------------
As an option, you may want to edit the .inf file *before* plugging in the VA11A...  I suspect that would work also, but did not try it myself.   You would still get a "install failed" message when vista attempts to install the "audio" portion of the capture device.  That shouldn't matter, as the VA11A doesn't support audio anyway.

Dave
bnocturnal

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2007, 05:34:12 PM »

Guys,

I found a way to get the VA11A working in Vista... at least it worked for me.  Some of this may need to be done as the administrator. 

Change that section as shown below... (add semicolons in front of 3 lines...

[SPCA506AV.CopyDrivers]
CA506AV.SYS

;STREAM.SYS

[SPCA506AV.CopyCodec]
;IYUV_32.DLL
;MSH263.DRV

Dave
bnocturnal

AWESOME!!!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

jdolina

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2007, 09:40:06 PM »

:D This worked except when I first did it I had no video. I uncommented ;IYUV_32.DLL and reinstalled and it then asked me to reboot, it didn't the first time, then I had video? So I don't really know which actually helped. Also I edit the line SPCA506AV.DeviceDesc=  "X10 VA11A Video Capture MODIFIED" that way it is easier than seeing to driver descriptions the same. Also when (wishful thinking)  the real driver comes out it will be easier to distinguish.

J.B.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2007, 09:58:36 AM »

Hi,
This still does not appear to work for me. Was there anything else done that may be the reason it has worked for a few of you? It is still showing that the device cannot start, or not showing the VA11A at all. It appears that even though I point to the modified file it uses the original.
Thanks
NVM my bad, something I missed, works fine now Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 10:21:23 AM by J.B. »

richbutler1

« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2007, 12:51:07 PM »

BTW, by remarking as described by 'bnocturnal' / Dave I was able to get video in Vista.  Be sure to uninstall unknown devices first (HINT: The one with this info if you go into Device Manager, Right click on Unknown Device, click driver Properties, Details Tab ..."VID_0733&PID_0430&MI_00" is the bad video driver.  Also tries to install an audio driver...same process as above...shows similar to this "USBVID_0733&PID_0430&REV_0090&MI_01"  I haven't tweaked the install for this, but as I understand it the VA11A has no audio function.  Not sure what the purpose is for this?  Possibly other webcams with audio support using same drivers???

Hope this helps...

Rich

PS: When performing multiple updates, you want to be sure the 'inf' file you edit is saved each time you try to re-install.  I think windows sniffs the files time/date stamp to determine if a new version is true, then update proceeds.  Not sure, just remember seeing 'you have the latest version once when trying to re-install driver

PPS:  All of this was done with UAC turned ON and under and account in the Administrators group.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 12:56:49 PM by richbutler1 »

memac259

« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2007, 09:28:42 AM »

When I make the changes and try to save them in the CA506AV.inf I get a message that Cannot create the file, make sure path and file are correct.........................any suggestions?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2007, 11:01:34 AM »

MichealC: While I have no idea why you left X10 and it's none of my business anyway, I do appreciate your frequenting this forum and sharing your knowledge,
As do I and many others! ;) :D ;D
MichealC: it is nice to see you back! Do you use any home automation personaly?
bnocturnal:Awesome![/size] Users here have continued to blow me away with work arrounds Your is the latest! ;) :D ;D
You get a BIG helpful from me! ;) :D ;D
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

DNO

« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2007, 07:44:31 PM »

I'm helping my father get his new AHP system setup on a computer with Vista Ultimate.  As this community knows, there are fundamental problems with Vista/VA11A (of course I didnt know this until we were faced with them).  I used the INF file hacks found on one of these threads and I have the camera running now.  The problem that persists is that I cannot use both the CM15A and the VA11A at the same time.  I can unplug the camera, start AHP and I get controls... I unplug the CM15A, plug in VA11A, restart AHP and I get pictures.  Device Manager shows no conflicts when both are plugged in.  Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance,

DNO

Network8888

« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2007, 09:20:38 PM »

Every Things WORKS GREAT NOW

the driver Workaround for the VA11A works great.

pictures, video, automatic switching between cameras, iWitness, MyHouse Online.

all working great.

email will not send but minor compared to the video not working before.

Great workaround

KUDOS to the x-10 community and the great USERS

network8888

mhopper

« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2007, 09:32:33 AM »

Hi. I have tried to make the changes to the inf file as bnocturnal instructed, but I still get the error code 10 driver cannot start. I must be missing something or doing something wrong. Can anyone give me some help with this ?
Thanks much.
Mike

DNO

VA11A and CM15A Conflict Under Windows Vista - Please HELP [F]
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2007, 04:48:30 PM »

I'm helping my father get his new AHP system setup on a computer with Vista Ultimate.  As this community knows, there are fundamental problems with Vista/VA11A (of course I didnt know this until we were faced with them).  I used the INF file hacks found on one of these threads and I have the camera running now.  The problem that persists is that I cannot use both the CM15A and the VA11A at the same time.  I can unplug the camera, start AHP and I get controls... I unplug the CM15A, plug in VA11A, restart AHP and I get pictures.  Device Manager shows no conflicts when both are plugged in.  Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance,

DNO

scojo

« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2007, 04:36:09 PM »

I tried 3 times to get it to work by carefully following the instructions and still get the error 10.  Guess I must be doing something wrong as well.  Does this have to be done before the plugin installation perhaps?  Otherwise, I'm not getting it and hate having a separate tv next to the computer just to see the cams.  :'(

Thanks to anyone that can provide some insight.

darkstarz

• USMC - Semper Fi - Once a Marine, Always a Marine
    • Darkstarz World
Re: VA11A and CM15A Conflict Under Windows Vista - Please HELP [F]
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2007, 10:02:08 PM »

Since no one else has, I'll bite, and ask myself, when you have the VA11A video capture (camera) working, open Device Manager and then open the Device and see what driver it is using. I can't see how it's possible for the VA11A video capture device to work with the driver for the CM15A device driver as they are quite different. I have tried the "swap" you mention and have not been able to replicate the same results myself, but I am running Vista Home Premium, which is why I am curious as to what drivers your computer seems to be using.
I've tried every device driver, combination of device drivers and dang near everything else, as I am sure many other's have tried as well, and have yet to make any progess on it.

Hey, if I'm not mistaken(and I'm not), I have an email from X10 Tech Support from weeks past saying they would have a "FIX" or an update for us by the 1st of May, anyone else hear anything different, or more on this?

CAUTION: Do NOT, I say again, DO NOT hold your breathe for this to happen. If it does, I'll give them a pat on the back and say thanks, but, past experience says not to bet the farm on it.  ::)
Larry S.
http://www.darkstarz.com
The impossible we do immediately,
Miracles may take us a day longer.

darkstarz

• Darkstarz World
Re: VA11A and CM15A Conflict Under Windows Vista - Please HELP [F]
« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2007, 09:42:54 AM »

Someone has figured a simple solution to the Inf file, which does work, as I am using it as I type this. You may need to uninstall the VA11A in Device manager, reboot, and have it redetect the driver for it to work as mentioned below, as I did, but it does work. Make sure you edit the Inf file first, be safe and save a copy of it somewhere else after you edit it. When you save the file, make sure it does not save it as a ".TXT" file, very important.

[TTA Edit: Replace verbatim COPY of information with LINK to original post.]
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 03:01:17 AM by TakeTheActive »
Larry S.

darkstarz

• Darkstarz World
« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2007, 09:56:50 AM »

Everones computer is going to be a bit different. But.....
 It WORKS !   ;D
But I also had some issues getting it to work and finally had to uninstall the device inside Device Manager, close everything and reboot. Let windows redetect the devices when it starts back up and don't do anything until after it's done with start up. When it's done, go to Device manager and you should have 2 unknown devices. One for the VA11A and one for the Audio Capture (which still doesn't work yet). Just open the one for the VA11A (it'll have an entry under RESOURCES similar to this:  "USB\VID_0733&PID_0430&REV_0090&MI_01") And you'll finally see the REINSTALL driver option on the front General tab. Then follow the instructions to manually select / install the driver for it as mentioned in the instructions and when the Red Warning box appears, click on Do it anyways, and it'll finally isntall the driver.

Think I'll play around with a few other things and see what happens with the Audio. I've toyed with my first install of Vista for well over a month and even managed to get the Blue Screen of Death! I was impressed!  ;D But Vista is built much more better and stable than any other Windows OS so get the Blue Screen was not easy. If anyone needs to know how to logon without having to enter a password everytime, yet still have a password for your main account, let me know, it's quite simple. Even with UAC disabled, which I have all the time, there are some security issues you have to have.

Larry S.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.