Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What switch do I need?  (Read 3347 times)

drounds67

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
What switch do I need?
« on: August 13, 2007, 10:51:01 AM »

Hi,
I'm looking to add some wall switches to control my lights in my house.  I have two problems.  The first is not sure what switches I need.  I have two lights in the living room.  One that is a fan/light combo(fan motor is on seprate switch is controled by two switches in different gang boxes.  I have looked at the switches and they have three wires going to them.  Am I going to need a three way switch to make this light operate correctly?  The other light is a standard switch so know problem there.  Also The kitchen light has two switches that control it.  I have not looked at the wiring for this but suspect it will be the same as the other light.  Just looking for a little guidance on what I need to buy to control these lights.  Thanks

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
Re: What switch do I need?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 11:58:06 AM »

Actually, the biggest question, is if you have an active neutral wire (usually white) in the switch boxes.

And by "lights", you mean permanently mounted lights, and not a light fixture plugged into a wall outlet, right?
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 12:15:23 PM »

...I have looked at the switches and they have three wires going to them....
What color are the wires?
As I was typing this message, Walt2 brought up the question do you have a neutral wire? The non dimming switch that you should use for the fan will need one.
Are both the fan and the light controlled from more than one place? If so, you'll need an X10 switches for 3-way use.
Is your kitchen light fluorescent?
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

drounds67

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 02:15:44 PM »

I'll have to check on the color of the wires?  I think black, white and another color.  But I will check.  Yes the kitchen light is fluorescent.  The fan is controlled in only one place.  It is just the lights.  Yes they are permantley mounted.  Hope this helps.  I will find out what colors the wires are and post them.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 04:34:54 PM »

... I think black, white and another color....
I'm betting the 3rd wire is bare or green and is the ground wire. Maybe red going to the load.

...Yes the kitchen light is fluorescent....
Start a search here for fluorescent lights to get an idea as to what you'll need to control the fluorescent light. An XPFM inline switch may  be your best solution.

:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

drounds67

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 12:36:06 AM »

I check the switch it has one black and two reds.  There is a black and red on one side and red on the other.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 02:57:23 AM »

No white wires?

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 07:09:05 AM »

I check the switch it has one black and two reds.  There is a black and red on one side and red on the other.

That sounds like a 3-way, where the black is the common, and the two reds are the two switched.  All three are "loads".

Not having a white wire, a neutral, anywhere in the box will limit your choices of replacement switches.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

drounds67

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 09:37:01 AM »

What switch can I use if it is a three way switch?

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.