Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can wall switch override motion sensor?  (Read 9665 times)

RCaddict

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
    • My Hobby Site
Can wall switch override motion sensor?
« on: August 17, 2007, 04:25:57 AM »

I have a Zenith RF wall switch inside and RF motion sensor outside controlling my main entrance lights.
Lights respond to motion sensor if the switch is OFF but ignore the sensor if the switch is ON.
I need to do the same for my rear deck.
I wonder I can do the same with X10 or will OFF command from outside motion sensor switch off the lights even they have been turned on by switch from inside?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 04:29:21 AM by RCaddict »

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: Can wall switch override motion sensor?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 08:23:41 AM »

You can do it, but its a requires more overhead than your Zenith system.

You would need software (I.E. ActiveHome Pro), and a light switch that also transmits its own X10 ON / OFF address when activated manually (E.G. Insteon ICON). Status flags within ActiveHome Pro macros would control the logic.

A similar set up I did in my garage, using an X10 WS467 switch is posted here (Garage Light & Motion Sensor Set-Up) to do the same thing. However this only works if the area is dark when the light gets turned on manually, and the motion sensor sees the light and transmits its UnitCode + 1 signal.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 08:25:59 AM »

I wonder I can do the same with X10 or will OFF command from outside motion sensor switch off the lights even they have been turned on by switch from inside?

X10 can, but it would need the added intelligence of a CM15A.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

RCaddict

• My Hobby Site
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 11:13:34 AM »

Thanks.  I will go with Zenith for now. They are very reliable and inexpensive too. I have a House alarm system made by Everspring Ind. China I guess. Inexpensive and very reliable too. Circuit board are all surface mount components optimised to fewest components , very neat and beautifully designed. All had plugged in shielded miniature RF modules.  I ordered few X10 items to have a look. All made of discreet components. Terrible circuit design wit RF components packed in with rest of  interfearing components that make them unreliable. I have not seen such messy circuits in few years. I wish X10 improve its manufacturing process. If Chinese do better circuits themselves why they do a bad job for X10?

I really love the whole X10 concept but modern manufacturing methods could have improved reliability like the rest of electronics industry. It is a shame they are  not getting the message even after RadioShack dump them! You guys are doing a great job in this forum helping X10 to prolong its life but they should have paid more attention to customer complains than waiting for customers to get used to workarounds. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 01:35:54 PM by RCaddict »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 01:57:40 PM »

Thanks.  I will go with Zenith for now. They are very reliable and inexpensive too. I have a House alarm system made by Everspring Ind. China I guess. Inexpensive and very reliable too. Circuit board are all surface mount components optimised to fewest components , very neat and beautifully designed. All has plugged in shielded miniature RF modules.  I ordered few X10 items to have a look. All made of discreet components. Terrible circuit design wit RF components packed in with rest of  interfearing components that make them unreliable. I have not seen such messy circuits in in few years. I wish X10 improve its manufacturing process. If Chinese do better circuits themselves why they do a bad job for X10?

Much of X10  (design, PCB's, components, etc) date back to 1978, with little change since then. If X10 were to come out with a new system I am sure it would be manufactured with poly boards and SMD components. However since X10 PLC transmission is showing it's age, I doubt you will see any changes unless they would bring about an instant reduction in manufacturing costs.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 04:04:46 PM »

Some of the modules are being made with more modern parts. The WS467 is now changed as is the AM486. Seems the original parts are now obsolete.
I have not see any yet; so I can't say if they went all the way to surface mount yet.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 05:25:30 PM »

Some of the modules are being made with more modern parts. The WS467 is now changed as is the AM486...

The AM486 or the LM465?
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 06:06:25 PM »

Have seen a post on the AM486 and a completely different layout and problem finding the Local Control Sensing parts. LM465 I have not seen or remember anything.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 06:41:53 PM »

Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

RCaddict

• My Hobby Site
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 08:14:59 PM »

I really hope they do something because if X10 bite the dust there is no other product line like that in the market. I am I correct to say that? I think their is good demand for this product line as long as they are reliable so they can justify the R&D for improved product. Using SMDs will reduce production cost a lot because fewer components involve and process can be made completely automated.

I was wondering wheather HF RF signal is much more reliable now than X10 signal. So what if they go completely RF for communication between modules with high power transceiver. Will that make product more reliable like security modules? More and more professional security system vendors are joining in wireless bandwagon and using this method.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 08:22:52 PM by RCaddict »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 06:33:43 AM »

??? Major Brain fade last night on the LM465 :-[

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007, 01:40:04 PM »

I really hope they do something because if X10 bite the dust there is no other product line like that in the market. I am I correct to say that?

X10 will live forever on eBay.   ;D

Plus, there are other (true not rebranded) manufacturers who make X10 compatible stuff.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

RCaddict

• My Hobby Site
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 04:03:30 PM »

X10 will live forever on eBay.   ;D

Yeah, @ $5 a piece I can live with them ;D

Great teaching tool for kids. I am thinking of getting USB setup for my 10 year old son to automate his room.
Anything to get him off video games  :(
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 04:08:08 PM by RCaddict »

RCaddict

• My Hobby Site
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 11:08:57 AM »

How about this arrangement? Normal rocker switch parallel to X10 switch so normal SW override X10 off signal. Will this cause any problem to X10 electronics as this arrangemet sometimes apply power to X10 output line even when it is OFF? I can hide the X10 SW inside the SW box.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 06:16:40 PM »

How about this arrangement? Normal rocker switch parallel to X10 switch so normal SW override X10 off signal.

Maybe Iam rusty (and therefore wrong) ....but in the arrangement in the drawing... If ether switch is ON... so is the light.
Home Automation is an always changing technology
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.