Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RC Chime as a line tester?  (Read 7034 times)

RCaddict

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
    • My Hobby Site
RC Chime as a line tester?
« on: August 22, 2007, 04:32:38 PM »

I used my RC Chime to test X10 signal distribution in my home. I walk around the house with Chime and RC switch, plugging chime to all plug sockets in my house and pressing RC switch. It chimed all the time. Does this means I have no signal problem with my 3-phase wiring at the moment so I don't have to install any repeater/coupler/amps?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 09:17:05 AM by RCaddict »

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: RC Chime as a line tester?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 04:49:31 PM »

I used my RC Chime to test X10 signal distribution in my home. I walk around the house with Chime and RC switch, plugging chime to all plug sockets in my house and pressing RC switch. It chimed all the time. Does this means I have no signal problem with my 3-phase wiring at the moment so I don't have to install any repeater/coupler/amps?

By RC Chime, is that the X10 Chime module triggered via a RF link back to your primary controller?  Or is it a wireless doorbell chime?

Even if it is the "palmpad -> RR501/TM751/CM15A -> X10 Chime" link, it just says you have adequate signal to activate the chime module at that time of day.  It does not say whether the signal is 50mVpp (marginal) or 1Vpp.  Only a X10 signal tester like the ESM1 or equivalent can give you real meaningful data.

A wireless doorbell chime tells you nothing other than there is AC power on that receptacle.

Jeff
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 04:52:00 PM by JeffVolp »
X-10 automation since the BSR days

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 11:09:56 PM »

Well Yes and No. Had it not chimed somewhere it would of indicated a problem. However as Jeff pointed out, it doesn't indicate signal strength. e.g. It maybe fine now but not when you plug in the laptop in another room or turn on the TV.

You never know when Murphy is going to sneak in your house and have your luck run out. e.g. The signal in my house was find one day and the next it went poof. I never did find one thing I could blame. I went through and put filters everywhere that they should of been before and boosted my signal and things have been good for a while now.

A signal meter like the ESM1 is a great investment. There is even a company that will lend you one. Trust me once you use it you'll want to keep it, however.

Read some of Jeff's links. He a wealth of info. Also many of us like myself recommend his products also.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

RCaddict

• My Hobby Site
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 09:13:10 AM »

You never know when Murphy is going to sneak in your house and have your luck run out.

Thanks for the reminder. If thought of using this system to prevent good ol' Murphy entering my house.  ;)

If I choos to do one thing one thing only to ensure adequate signal levels throughout the house what would be it?
I thought of using repeater/coupler/amplifier module XPCR which boost, repeat and pass it to other phases of electrical wiring. To me this looks like the logical best choice. If so since X10 has lot of devices is XPCR the best device to do this?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 09:14:42 AM by RCaddict »

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 10:06:14 AM »

If I choose to do one thing one thing only to ensure adequate signal levels throughout the house what would be it?
I thought of using repeater/coupler/amplifier module XPCR which boost, repeat and pass it to other phases of electrical wiring. To me this looks like the logical best choice. If so since X10 has lot of devices is XPCR the best device to do this?

Repeaters often cause more problems than they solve.  I would install passive couplers, then check the signal level with a tester like the Elk ESM1.  If the signal is too low, add a signal booster like Jeff Volp's XTB unit to your transmitter.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 10:12:39 AM »

The XPCR will certainly help, but like most repeaters, it only transmits at standard X10 signal levels.  That worked fine years ago, but some homes are running into problems due the the proliferation of electronic devices that can attenuate X10 signals levels.

I hate to toot my own horn, but If I was going to do "one thing only" I would install a XTB-II at the distribution panel, and plug the main automation controller into that.  If you use other wired controllers around the home, you might want to wait for the XTB-IIR, which will include an enhanced repeater capability.  More info here:

http://jvde.us/xtb_index.htm

You might want to read some of the user feedback.

Jeff
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 11:20:09 PM by JeffVolp »
X-10 automation since the BSR days

RCaddict

• My Hobby Site
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 11:12:06 AM »

Thanks, I will definitely consider it.

I loaded every thing I got and tested again still chimer sounded indicating all the outlets receive X10 signal. I have a new home and most of my equipments are new energy efficient type, may be that's why! May be I am not far from power distribution transformer! I will test at different time of the day to see any change due to external interference.

X10 should have a compact plug in signal tester, simple 3 LED kind :-[  :)  ;D.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 11:25:15 AM by RCaddict »

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 02:26:42 PM »

...X10 should have a compact plug in signal tester, simple 3 LED kind...
X10 markets with the idea that every works out of the box. That may of been true once but in today's world where almost every electrical item has a plug in component, it rarely is the case. The ESM1 is the best value for a tester. It does 90% of what some testers do that are twice its price .
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

RCaddict

• My Hobby Site
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 03:18:52 PM »

Is there any reason why X10 company don't improve this 30 year old technology?
Can't they at least boost the signal level of the new transceivers without major R&D effort?

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 04:02:53 PM »

Is there any reason why X10 company don't improve this 30 year old technology?...
$$$

...Can't they at least boost the signal level of the new transceivers without major R&D effort?
Again their approach is sell, sell, sell and only patch and fix if absolutely necessary for the bottom line.
e.g. I don't expect to see drivers to make the video work with Windows Vista till a substantial number of people using Vista complain.

This approach, while extremely frustratingly at times, keeps X10 affordable. It also requires a bit of DIY work arounds. Any other automation approach would likely to have an astronomical price tag.

RCaddict

• My Hobby Site
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 04:24:51 PM »

This approach, while extremely frustratingly at times, keeps X10 affordable. It also requires a bit of DIY work arounds. Any other automation approach would likely to have an astronomical price tag.

I tend to agree now. My X10 stuff beginning to stabilize as I gain more and more knowledge about them. Thanks for helping me to keep my interrest up to the point I started to enjoy the challenge. Without the support of this forum I would have quit. I think I found another hobby beside making and flying RC aircrafts.  :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 07:17:10 PM by RCaddict »

RCaddict

• My Hobby Site
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 04:28:55 PM »

X10 education continue.
I received lamp modules and stick-on switches today. Plug the lamp modules to outlets tested with remote chime. NO Show  ??? Chime works but not lamp modules !!! So different modules have different signal threshold levels! But Lucky me when I found one receptacle when plugged transceiver all modules receive signal even across different phases.  ;D I think I need coupler soon.

Well no response from kitchen circuit at all. Big boys there must be sucking the signal big time. I see now why X10 is not for faint hearted.  :D'

Reliability improved sooo much after moving main transceiver right next to distribution box.
Well I should have read Jeff's troubleshooting guide first. But I did not have trouble then  ;)
This is fun. I feel like in the lab after long time!  ;D
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 12:52:50 AM by RCaddict »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.