Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

GUESTS/LURKERS: Why Don't You Register (and Become NEWBIEs)?

I Don't Want X10 SPAMMING My E-Mail!
- 0 (0%)
I'm Too Lazy to Exert That Much Effort.
- 1 (10%)
I'm Logging in from Work and Don't Want to Get Caught.
- 1 (10%)
I'm Just Visiting / Not Sure If I'm Interested in X10.
- 1 (10%)
I Just Want to Read The Posts - Leave Me Alone!
- 2 (20%)
TBD #1 (Allow for future options)
- 4 (40%)
TBD #2 (Allow for future options)
- 0 (0%)
TBD #3 (Allow for future options)
- 1 (10%)
TBD #4 (Allow for future options)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: GUESTS/LURKERS: Why Don't You Register (and Become NEWBIEs)?  (Read 135071 times)

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
Re: GUESTS/LURKERS: Why Don't You Register (and Become NEWBIEs)?
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2006, 06:59:09 PM »

BTW: Welcome home TTA

Thanks!  ;D

Being in the hospital for a week was a mixed blessing:

• Not having internet access, only having a "limited channel" TV, and not being allowed to leave the bed for the first few days actually cleared my head and relieved a LOT of tension.
  • Not having internet access, especially GOOGLE, was a PITA (addiction withdrawal symptoms!) when I wanted to look up all the new terms the medical staff was introducing me to.
  • Getting woke up every few hours for: a pill, a needle, blood pressure, pulse, blood oxygenation wasn't much fun
  • The food was kind of bland and repeated often.
  • The electric bed was NICE!  Micro adjustments to the head and foot were the "Cat's Meow"! :)
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2006, 07:21:03 PM »

"Did the fact that there were no other NEWBIEs, but LOADs of the "Cheers" Gang, participating tend to initially discourage you from posting? "

The answer to that question is no. It was always a matter of just doing it.

Seeing the "Cheers" Gang having fun was also an incentive.

There's certainly a great bunch of guys here in the "Cheers Gang " (and you won't believe how many of them are "Old Geezers " like me!  :o ;) ). After a week or so of "learning " personalities, you'll feel like you've been friends with some of them for YEARS.  8) [Of course, with my "unusual " personality, it took *ME* quite a bit longer!  :o ]

...When you started this topic a couple weeks ago, it provided a nice entry point to become a member without having a question. Maybe having a thread for new member intoduction may help others as this one has for me.

But, you're still the *ONLY* GUEST/LURKER turned NEWBIE participating...  ???  How do we get more folks to "convert "?

mackie1604

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2006, 09:43:08 PM »

Born and raised in the Seattle area......

I used to be into X10 equipment when I was in high school but fell out of it.......recently I've been building my home theater and wanted a good way to automated my lighting downstairs so I could setup the stage to enjoy my projector from the comfort of my seats....

I picked up a started kit plus 5 appliance modules/5 light switches.  I am having some issues getting the signal around my house, that's why I first posted.

Currently working at Microsoft as a Support Engineer.

[TTA Edit: Combine posts - Oops!! ]
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 02:02:17 PM by TakeTheActive »

mince

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2006, 10:26:35 PM »

Hello All,

I did post 3 postings because I had a few questions before deciding to buy.  I received by software (AHP, smart macros, iWitness and my home online) today and I am awaiting a lamp module, an appliance module, and a motion detector.  I am starting small and if I get this system to work, then I will continue to upgrade.

From what I have read in the fourms so far, it appears that I will need help from the experienced users to get my system running the way it is supposed so you all will see me here again.  ;D

As for my background, I am actually in the nursing field--nurse anesthetist to be exact.  I am currently practicing in the Army.  I am not very technical, but I did manage to build a couple computers.  Still waiting impatiently for my modules to arrive, anxious to get it started.  :)

Cheers.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 08:06:44 PM by TakeTheActive »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2006, 08:12:11 AM »

I am not new to X10...but new to the forum. I started out wanting to dim or turn off lights in my home theater with a remote control. I really had no idea how much could be done through home automation at that time. Now not only does the lights automatically turn themselves off as the movie starts (and a few on after the movie stops) I also send the movie to the bathroom and my office (in case I want to sneak a smoke during a chick flick). Plus I send the IR remote signals BACK the equipment all using X10.

Well after the theater was finished... I couldn't stop there. I don't know if X10 has become a hobby, or an addiction. But I really enjoy it.

I recently entered the X10 contest to win the $500 of free merchandise by entering a movie at YouTube.  I am the DoorCam movie. 1st and only contest I ever entered. The guys at X10 where great! Send stuff I got to select myself (I just Emailed a list).....it was awesome. Check out the contest for yourself

Thank-you for the invite, TakeTheActive. I found it helpful.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 07:15:55 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2006, 03:43:05 PM »

Dave_x10_L,mince,& mackie1604: [/color] Welcome aboard!
I'm surprised more aren't jumping in ::) A newbie always spurs me to learn something new. ;) :D ;D And many times Just asking a question which hasn't been answered before or in a long time helps us all!
 If no one has the answer there are many on here that will dig & or experiment untill we find the answers ;) :D ;D[/b]
For those who feel posting is a lot of work or to difficult check out my posting walk through:
Even registered users may find something useful there! ;) :D
For those interested MMallari has started a Topic: Meet the Community Organizers   in which he posts a link to interviews  with Community Organizers  so far he has posted 3 interviews with more to come!
You can find mine here: Meet Tuicemen
To All Newbies,Regulars & Oldtimers: Cheers And Have fun! :) ;) :D
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 05:30:19 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2006, 09:24:28 PM »

Welcome mince, mackie1604 and Dave_x10_L. Glad to have you on our side. Looking forward to reading your posts and sharing ideas.
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

galstaf

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2006, 07:53:07 AM »

Hey folks,

To answer the question... I went from a guest to a newbie to get my question answered on this forum.... as it will affect my buying decision.

Can you guys check it out and let me know what you think. Posts by non-X10 employees giving me their experiences with the stuff are of main interest... and to know why X10 doesn't seem to care about what I regard as RELEVANT posts about their annoying spam like email policy and those godawful popups.

http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=10627.0

if anyone has recommendations for other products that work better, I would be very grateful also.

All the best!

RH

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2006, 08:23:01 AM »

Hey folks,

To answer the question... I went from a guest to a newbie to get my question answered on this forum.... as it will affect my buying decision.

Can you guys check it out and let me know what you think. Posts by non-X10 employees giving me their experiences with the stuff are of main interest... and to know why X10 doesn't seem to care about what I regard as RELEVANT posts about their annoying spam like email policy and those godawful popups.

http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=10627.0

if anyone has recommendations for other products that work better, I would be very grateful also.

All the best!

RH

You call this an introduction:o

It's just an "ad", pointing to your other questions.  :-[

Come on now, RH - you can do better than this!  :-\

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Welcome to the "Community"!  :)

Check out how QUICKLY Dave_x10_L went from a NEWBIE to feeling like a member of our "Cheers Gang ".  8)

(i.e. Give it another shot!  ;) )

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2006, 11:04:17 PM »

So heres the rub. What the heck should I "do" with the activehome. Anybody have any ideas?

If you mean Active Home Pro (with the CM15A interface)... you can stop joking...

I joke that I can just say "computer...lights off" and they go off

... and make it happen with (Caution shameless plug ahead!  :-[ ) my BXVC (Bill's X10 Voice Commander) program!  Found here:  http://www.wgjohns.com/bxvc.htm   ;D

Oh, yeah... and Welcome Aboard!   :D
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2006, 10:45:14 AM »

TTA (et al): Thanks for making me feel like part of the "CHEERS Gang" :)  (Re: "Outsanding Bugs and Software Issues")

Tuicemen: Nice work on the The Finer Art of Posting to the Forums thread. I reference it regularly as I'm becoming familiar with the forum. But one thing I couldn't find was... How do you create a link to another post by using the name and not the HTTP address? But as you can see, I did figure it out (although I'm sure there is an easier way.) :D

To Dave_x10_L, mince, mackie1604 and all other new members like myself, welcome and I look forward to reading your posts.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2006, 03:34:26 PM »

Tuicemen: Nice work on the The Finer Art of Posting to the Forums thread. I reference it regularly as I'm becoming familiar with the forum. But one thing I couldn't find was... How do you create a link to another post by using the name and not the HTTP address? But as you can see, I did figure it out (although I'm sure there is an easier way.) :D

Thanks glad you enjoyed reading it!
It looks like you did just fine with the links!  The easiest way I fine is cut and past the address! ;) :D ;D
I'm sure I mentioned the how to link, 
The globe with the paper sheet allows you to insert a web link it creates url & /url in square brackets arround the text in the url brackets type"= then the address"
but not the cut and paste bit! ::) :-[ ;)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 03:37:06 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2006, 01:00:30 AM »

TTA (et al): Thanks for making me feel like part of the "Cheers Gang " :) (Re: "Outstanding Bugs and Software Issues")

Isn't that the way it SHOULD BE when new members:

• JOIN
  • FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS, and are
  • SO PLEASANT & POLITE! :)
[/font][/size][/b]
From my perspective, this "Community" should be a place where:

• KNOWLEDGE is freely shared (and ACCURATE! :o )
  • EVERYONE can "Feel at ease " and get to know one another  :-*
  • EVERYONE demonstrates the proper manners (i.e. This SNIPING via the "Unhelpfuls" *HAS* to STOP!  >:( )
  • LAUGHTER is not only allowed but ENCOURAGED!  :D
  • Everybody Knows Your Name...  ;D

IMHO, these forums were pretty "STERILE " before I arrived. :o

Yeah, I know that I'm the "Short-Timer " here [Date Registered: 2006-06-23, 00:44:18], the *NEWEST* Community Organizer, (aka the one with the BIGGEST MOUTH!  :o ), yet I'd *STILL* like to have the opportunity to turn this "X10 Community" around, from one of (mostly, IMO) NEGATIVITY (i.e. the majority of the posts COMPLAINING ABOUT X10, or asking for HELP ME! - for situations that have ALREADY been answered / addressed  :o ) into one of (at least some) POSITIVITY (is that a real word?) where there are *ALSO* posts of "Here's What *I* Did With X10!".

In other words, IMHO, Folks should come here to SHARE IDEAS :) as well as ASK FOR TECHNICAL HELP and/or COMPLAIN.  :(

[TTA: Yeah, I took a SHORTCUT by moving the end QUOTE - I didn't have the energy to play with all the SIZE commands...  :P ]

"Here's What *I* Did With X10!".

In other words, IMHO, Folks should come here to SHARE IDEAS :) as well as ASK FOR TECHNICAL HELP and/or COMPLAIN.  :(

I agree with TakeTheActive.  I have a couple of X10 related write ups in the FAQ I've written for my wife and family about all the equipment I've installed in, and mods I've made to, our home.  I'd be happy to post these...

TakeTheActive and I have had several exchanges about the negative content of a lot of posts on the Forum and what to do about it.  He encouraged me to post some of my success stories in the hope they would inspire others to do the same.  I have found that X10, properly used, is a very powerful tool but it can't do the whole job by itself, as these stories will show.

...But one thing I couldn't find was... How do you create a link to another post by using the name and not the HTTP address?

This is fairly easy under IE, and EVEN EASIER under Firefox.

• Under IE, I used to start out by typing:

{URL=

Cut-N-Paste of HTTP from IE Address Window goes here

}Cut-N-Paste of TEXT to be displayed goes here

{/URL}

and then just DELETING all of the WHITESPACE.
  • THEN, this "Old Geezer " *FINALLY* broke down and TRIED Firefox. WOW!!!  :o

When you RIGHT-CLICK on a LINK, you get the option to "Copy Link Text and Location As"

- HTML Link
     - Plain Text
     - Custom Format 1 (BBCode)
     - Custom Format 2 (FuseTalk)
     - Custom Fomat 3 (Wikipedia)

Choosing Custom Format 1 (for the LINK just above) results in:

{url=http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=10565.0]Members Sharing Their Original X10 Home Automation Ideas [Updated: 2006/10/15] (Read 77 times) - Posted: « on: 2006-10-14, 15:46:49 »[/url}

Tuicemen and I are ?trying? ::) to "Standardize " (and "tone down ") our formatting on certain actions (Fellow Community Organizer Charles Sullivan *CONSTANTLY* complains that he has to put on his SUNGLASSES when he reads our posts!?!  :o ). So, we regularly make LINKs BOLD BLUE, and then usually add (Read xx times). In some places, I like to also add Posted: « on: YYYY-MM-DD, HH:MM:SS » so that I can keep my "List of LINKs" in chronological order.

As they say, HTH. ;)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2006, 07:35:38 PM »

Thank You Bill

That looks like what I've been looking for!

P.S. Nice Site!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2006, 09:32:57 PM »

Thank You Bill

That looks like what I've been looking for!

P.S. Nice Site!

You're welcome Dave and thanks!   ;D

I hope you enjoy it as I and many others do.  Please feel free to PM or email me with any questions, comments or suggestions.  Many of the best features were suggested by users (many of whom hang out here  ;)  ).

Most of all, have fun!   :D
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.