Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

GUESTS/LURKERS: Why Don't You Register (and Become NEWBIEs)?

I Don't Want X10 SPAMMING My E-Mail!
- 0 (0%)
I'm Too Lazy to Exert That Much Effort.
- 1 (10%)
I'm Logging in from Work and Don't Want to Get Caught.
- 1 (10%)
I'm Just Visiting / Not Sure If I'm Interested in X10.
- 1 (10%)
I Just Want to Read The Posts - Leave Me Alone!
- 2 (20%)
TBD #1 (Allow for future options)
- 4 (40%)
TBD #2 (Allow for future options)
- 0 (0%)
TBD #3 (Allow for future options)
- 1 (10%)
TBD #4 (Allow for future options)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: GUESTS/LURKERS: Why Don't You Register (and Become NEWBIEs)?  (Read 135072 times)

teez67f

• Helpful Post Rating: 7
Re: GUESTS/LURKERS: Why Don't You Register (and Become NEWBIEs)?
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2007, 11:55:48 PM »

Thanks for the link TTA was confused as to where to do intro. ???
Not sure what to put here but looking at other intros just the basic seems alright.
I'm a 40 year old Industrial Automation geek on a sabbatical right now. 8)
Life is simple for me like many.Family,work,work,and some play in that particular order. :D
Always intended to but never had the time until now to get into smarthome stuff.
Started with X-10 in september 2006 with AHP and assorted X-10 stuff. ??? :P >:( ;D
Took time,frustration and lots of time here to get X-10 working almost perfect. ;)
Since then have been doing mods to all including CM15A (range is now 150FT. all around)
Been playing with AHP and changing some internal software with the help of friends and posters here.
Now in the middle of designing grounds up a touchscreen PC(below$500.00) for home use.
I've worked at many jobs since high school like most here I'm sure.
This forum is a great plus and a must for anyone getting into home "lose your hair" x10 setups.
Been looking into ZWAVE,Insteon and homeplug hybrid setup for the past two months.
Will be posting once my work is done (hopefully May 2007  :P ) with pictures.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2007, 08:11:09 PM »

Welcome to the forum  teez67f![/size]

[I am] Looking forward to the pictures in your future posts. It's always great when people figure out new ways to modify X10 (and other) products to expand the use of X10, and home automation in general.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2007, 09:29:28 PM »

Okay, 44 years old.  Been doing something with computers since I was about 16.  Started working for the Federal Civil Service under the Department of Military Affairs when I was 18. Working with administration, computers and soldiering.

Accident in 1997 left me with partial paralysis and a heap load of problems.  Medically retired in 1998.

On a very low Government pension.  But I still find a few bucks for the automation fix.  I'm on so much medication that if I forget something please remind me.

The reason I didn't join till lately is that I can still read.  Most of all my problems were the same problems everyone else has.  So essentially I read, found the problem, fixed the problem.  I joined now because I enjoy reading more and more to try and broaden my skills, not only to automate my house but to maybe start a new business in my very small town.

The information in this forum is just amazing.  There is so much to read and learn, that sometimes I get lost in it.

I live in a very little town called Locust Grove Ok.  Moved here from Colorado.

I love to tinker, but always scared a little bit of ruining the thing and then have to buy a new one.(low income again)  I guess I better leave some space for someone else.  I appreciate all the help and hopefully I can help someone else.
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

HA Dave

« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2007, 12:53:36 PM »

Welcome to the forum hawk1

Always nice to have a new contributor!

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2007, 01:59:53 PM »

thanks for the welcome in, Dave_x10_1
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2007, 03:03:49 PM »

thanks for the welcome in, Dave_x10_1

Dave's our "OFFICIAL GREETER" because he's always so upbeat and cheerful!
:D
To the tune of: Dance, Dance Little Sister, Dance - The Rolling Stones ;)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 03:07:50 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

HA Dave

« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2007, 11:27:28 PM »

Welcome to the forum MeThinks! I only joined so I would NOT be thought of as a "LURKER". I'd rather be a newbie than a lurker... anyday.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 11:28:20 AM by Dave_x10_L »

nodoze

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2007, 07:55:31 PM »

Hello,  Just wanted to be polite and introduce myself. 

If you are curious as to my login, when I was in the service my pilot call-sign is/was Nodoze and my ground job was IT (I guess because I have a BS in Comp Sci and like to mess with computers).   

From a geekiness perspective I played with TRS80s when they came out and had most of the early Apple lines.  By way of education I programmed in basic, Pascal, C, C++, machine code, assembly, and VMS.  Professionally, back in the day, programed in ADA then moved into UNIX scripting, Oracle RDMSs, and PL/SQL.   I also learned Java and J2EE but at that point in my career I was more of a Solutions Architect and less hands on so don't really consider myself a strong Java programmer.

After getting out of the service I quickly knocked out an MBA/MIS to transition to the civilian workforce.  I was a consultant for many years in the Oracle communities and helped drive the move toward Linux, Apache and Java (after being a Linux and Apache hobbyist, I saw the light and was an RHCE and J2EE Architect before Oracle moved to support those tech stacks and worked to help them move that direction).  While I mainly enjoyed being a Solutions Architect, I got pushed more and more into project management and then program management and currently am a CTO (was CIO but hated budgets and such so took a CTO job).  At some point I may go back and get a PhD in Management Science with a concentration in MIS so I can give back by teaching and research.

From an X10 perspective I first started with some lamp modules and serial firecracker about 7-10 years ago.  I helped a friend of mine build an awesome AV/Media room where everything was automated via X10.

I currently am playing with a Webview and Multiview 4 camera system and don't want to recreate the wheel.  That is what lead me to this forum.

Cheers !
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 09:31:22 PM by nodoze »

MeThinks

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2007, 10:47:07 PM »

Sorry all, I didn't mean to be rude.  I didn't realize there were rules and regulations to be apart of this forum, thought I could just pitch in and start asking questions and giving advice...silly me  :P :-[

Anyways, I'm not sure what anyone would like to know about me, and I don't have much information that I'd like to share about myself but if you have a question I may be more than happy to answer it....or not.  ;)

However, I WILL participate in this forum how I see fit, and offer any suggestions or advice I can offer about X10 products.  :-*

I too am a frustrated yet semi-pleased X10 customer who is very thankful that I do not have any of the major issues that some people are having. 

One piece of advice or suggestion I have for all now is:

If you have a fix that can be seen on a computer screen, please try to post pictures of it, they are very helpful and very easy to do, please ask if you don't know how.  ??? As they say pictures are worth a thousand words.

Good days to all!!!

8)

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2007, 06:16:13 AM »

Welcome aboard nodoze and MeThinks

I'm sure we all look forward to reading your posts and sharing in the fun and ideas as we do with everyone.  :)

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

HA Dave

« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2007, 11:32:06 AM »

Welcome to the forum nodoze!

Wow... with a resume like yours ..... you might be able to improve on that wheel you don't want to recreate.

tinnman357

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2007, 12:53:22 PM »

Hello All,
      I apologize as well for not getting to this thread sooner. About me, just a dumb ol tinknocker (42) that likes to tinker. I had bought some x10 cams about 7 years ago when we bought this house to monitor the pool. After about a year after didn't really need them so I thru them in a closet. Anyway have had some vandals move in the neighborhood recently and needed to call on x10 again! Unfortunately the little $hits figured out that the cams I have,have limited ability in the dark. After still having problem I jumped in with both feet bought a Sentinel, AHP & plugins, Alarm system, more wireless cams, and the best deal was my Fed Ex guy sold me 4 ninja bases, and a VR36A for 40 bucks (they didn't feel warm) . Well got most of it working still have a lot of tweaking to do. In due time. One thing I have learned with this experience is MY HOUSE! Some folks can live in the same place forever and not know a thing about it other than the address. As frustrating as it gets sometimes its all worth it in the end when that lamp comes on and turns off when its supposed to. A special thanks to all of you folks that pitch in! I know that there is no way that I could have gotten as far as I have without your knowledge and advise. Unfortunately at this time I will only be a student but one day maybe one of the MASTERS!
                                                                                                                                                                                               Tom

this stuff will drive you crazy, but I love it!!!!!

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2007, 03:03:06 PM »

Hey tinnman357 welcome to the club :)  As far as students and masters....  well you can't really tell them apart much. We have all learned things here and the fun part is the stuff still to be learned. ($40 bucks is a great deal)

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

MeThinks

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2007, 04:44:26 PM »

If someone does master x10 I hope they buy the company and turn its potential into reality!  Or at least make it so us numbskulls can use it too! ;D (and maintain it inexpensiveness ;) )

8)

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2007, 08:13:04 PM »

Welcome to the forum nodoze, MeThinks and tinnman357.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.