Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 10 cameras, multiplexor & have had problems continuously  (Read 17771 times)

sashaeagle

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
10 cameras, multiplexor & have had problems continuously
« on: August 31, 2007, 12:28:37 PM »

:-\  I've been in the process of setting up a security system on my 6 acres for over 4 years now.  I have cameras located outside, all wired because there is too much interference for wireless to transmit a clear picture.  At x10s suggestion, I bought a multiplexor (expensive) in order to see all 10 cameras.  I've been working with this for over 6 months now, have returned (at my expense) two multiplexors as they were determined by tech support to be defective, and now with the third piece of equipment I can see 7 of the 9 cameras connected.  Whoopee...  before I could only see 4, then 5.  I'm stumped.  I've been told it's the camera, and yet when those cameras are connected directly to the VA11, they work fine, clear picture.  Anyone with any ideas?  I'd sure appreciate it.  The techs are nice enough to talk to, understand the frustration, but I haven't gotten this blasted thing up and running yet.   I do have other things to do with my life, other than sit here in frustration trying one thing after another.  Thanks for listening, and here's hoping you're enjoying your day.  Viki

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: 10 cameras, multiplexor & have had problems continuously
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 02:06:45 PM »

I've been told it's the camera, and yet when those cameras are connected directly to the VA11, they work fine, clear picture.

During this test, when the cameras are working, are you connecting them to the VA11 one at a time?

Are they X10 cameras, and are you using addressable power supplies?
Are you cameras intended to be always on or controlled via software or motion detectors?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 03:54:21 PM »

I do have other things to do with my life, other than sit here in frustration trying one thing after another. 

Yes.... but everyone needs a hobby.

10 cameras, spread out over 6 acres, into one multiplexor... is a very professional setup... and a big project. The camera(s) not working.... are they the longest wired distance, or the shortest? If you change the camera(s) postion on the multiplexor does that make a difference?

The more info you can provide, the quicker/easier the solution will be found.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

sashaeagle

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 04:49:51 PM »

Hi.  Thanks for the input.  Yes, I've been connecting them one at a time to the VA11 to check the camera out, when it doesn't show up on the multiplexor's screen.  I only have x10 cameras, and yes I'm using addressable power supplies, I've checked that out too.  Right now the cameras are always on.  I haven't gotten to the motion yet.  I just want to get them all visible on the screen.  Again, thanks for any thoughts you might have. 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I've been told it's the camera, and yet when those cameras are connected directly to the VA11, they work fine, clear picture.

During this test, when the cameras are working, are you connecting them to the VA11 one at a time?

Are they X10 cameras, and are you using addressable power supplies?
Are you cameras intended to be always on or controlled via software or motion detectors?

sashaeagle

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 04:54:53 PM »

Hi Dave.  Right on "everyone needs a hobby"!  I'm really ready for the next step in this one to work.  The distance, let's see the two that aren't showing up are the medium distance cameras.  I moved them to different spots this morning.  If I shut everything down, and move the cameras, bring it up and the cameras are different.  The real frustration here is that it's not "consistent".  With all the time I've been working on this, I've been taking notes, and it's the inconsistency that's driving me nuts.  I sure appreciate your input.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts. 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I do have other things to do with my life, other than sit here in frustration trying one thing after another. 

Yes.... but everyone needs a hobby.

10 cameras, spread out over 6 acres, into one multiplexor... is a very professional setup... and a big project. The camera(s) not working.... are they the longest wired distance, or the shortest? If you change the camera(s) postion on the multiplexor does that make a difference?

The more info you can provide, the quicker/easier the solution will be found.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 05:59:31 PM »

The distance, let's see the two that aren't showing up are the medium distance cameras.  I moved them to different spots this morning.  If I shut everything down, and move the cameras, bring it up and the cameras are different.  The real frustration here is that it's not "consistent".  With all the time I've been working on this, I've been taking notes, and it's the inconsistency that's driving me nuts.  I sure appreciate your input.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts. 

Let me make sure I understand this:

It is the same two cameras that don't show up on the multiplexor.

It doesn't matter in which position they are on the multiplexor (the multiplexor passes them up) they don't show up.

It isn't due to too weak of a signal... due to distance, as both cameras fall in the middle for run length.

You have pulled the cameras directly off the multiplexor when they aren't working.... and without changing anything... checked them on the VA11. So you know they are ON, and working.

If all of the above is correct..... I would switch one of the working cameras, with one of the non-working cameras. By this I mean: take down (up-plug) a non-working camera from its extended run. Replace with a working camera removed from a working extended run. Put the non-working camera in place of the working camera.

If the (previously) working camera is now NOT detected by the multiplexor.... but the (previously) non-working camera IS: It is that extended run... not the camera.

If the (previously) working camera STILL works... and the (previously) non-working camera still does NOT: you have a camera that doesn't put out enough signal.... for even a medium run, you may want to try moving it closer.

If nether camera works... check to make sure your power supplies are compatible.

If BOTH cameras now work... it was very likely loose and/or dirty connectors. Try unplugging, cleaning, and replugging the remaining non-working camera.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 08:52:26 PM »

I only have x10 cameras, and yes I'm using addressable power supplies, I've checked that out too.  Right now the cameras are always on. 

I was concerned that the X10 addressable power supplies might be turning off when another gets turned on, if 2 or more are addressed within the predefined groups of 4 addresses. But it does sound like you are aware of this and verified they are all on.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.