💬General Category > General Discussion

Revamp X-10

(1/3) > >>

nklght:
X-10 needs to revamp their current offering,
They need to offer modules which do not require user modifications inorder to get them to work the way an user wants to work, they need to listen to the users of the products.  We all agree that the CM-15A needs some sort of range modification, create a CM-20 that is backwords compatible, and will give users the range they desire.  That will answer many problems that users currently have.

X-10 should also sell phase couplers and filters, a person can purchase everything they need to create a home automation system, except for one or two items that are neccessary to make it work. 

They should also create new modules so a user can do some new age items without spending thousands, for the hardware.  If a person already has a controller, then X-10 should have modules which a user can use, instead of having to purchase modules from a different company and modifying them to work with X-10. 

Dan Lawrence:
All good ideas.

I would add:  X10USA must mass market.  (Right now, it doesn't.)

arf1410:
May be a good suggestion, but odds of it happening are very small.  X10 as a company appears to do minimal developmental work, as their goal seems to be low prices, rather than quality or function.  Lets be honest : X10 as a protocol is a dieing technology for a variety of reasons, yet X10 the company does not want to invest in the future, and I don't think things will change...

HA Dave:
I wonder if these posts should have been posted in the RANTS thread.

--- Quote from: nklght on September 03, 2007, 03:58:08 AM ---
They need to offer modules which do not require user modifications in order to get them to work the way an user wants to work

--- End quote ---

X10 offers a wide variety of devices.... many are sold through other company's. Most were cutting edge at the time they were introduced. I have read of many amazing things people have accomplished using X10. Most of these impressive setups are one-of-a-kind user ideas. I am just glad X10 can be so easily modified and is flexable.

--- Quote from: Dan Lawrence on September 03, 2007, 09:25:31 PM ---
All good ideas.

I would add:  X10USA must mass market.  (Right now, it doesn't.)

--- End quote ---

I don't think there is a MASS out there for X10 to market to.

--- Quote from: arf1410 on September 04, 2007, 10:58:20 AM ---
 X10 as a company appears to do minimal developmental work ..................

--- End quote ---

X10 is BOTH the mother and father of home automation. X10 has been (not on... but) THE cutting edge of home automation since the beginning. Just try to find a better interface then X10's. The current state-of-the-art is the CM15A. X10 has even made the SDK available for anyone and everyone that wants to do more (see: third party software) than can already be done with a suite of available software (all for $50).

I only wish I had the imagination needed, to be disappointed with the progress of HA.

arf1410:

--- Quote ---
--- End quote ---

The current state-of-the-art is the CM15A....

--- Quote ---
--- End quote ---

That quote basically proves my point...along with the fact that filters are needed, flourescent lights don't work well with the system, power strips and battery backups can suck signals, and circuits must be "bridged."  These are all work arounds because the X10 protocol is just not robust enough for modern houses.

While Z-wave and Insteon may not be perfect yet, at least some other companies realize that X10 protocol will go the way of the typerwriter, and are making an attempt to move forward.

And I do not believe the X10 Company actually developed the X10 protocol.  Can someone verify that?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version