Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Keep them outside - better than a sign  (Read 103370 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Keep them outside - better than a sign
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2008, 01:48:35 PM »

I did find these Home Security Tips from "Big Lou". Sure it's all in humor... but the idea is the same.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2008, 04:26:29 PM »

Say Dave jump in here and tell me what you think as you know we both agree the first line of defense is to keep them outside but in the rare chance they do make it past your perimeter  defenses and actually gain entry what do you think about attacking the sences with a small strobe light seems like this would be extremely disorientating experence and the strobe is relatively inexpensive. see like below.

tom j

http://www.amazon.com/Zenon-Strobe-Light/dp/B000NBL2XA/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1205358564&sr=8-13

I like the idea of strobes... I have one similar... to the one you linked to.

The wife and I decorate for all the holidays... including halloween. The strobes tend to be on sale for halloween. We have picked up several over the years. For trick-or-treat night... I place the strobes, pointing at the windows, in each room that faces the street.. as well as under a front yard pine tree. The result is very attention getting. These things would also wake the dead if triggered by a fire alarm.

However I like the outside mounted strobes as well. As they will also help serve as a deterrent.

I haven't NOT planned for a forced entry. If my wife and/or I are at home... the perimeter detection should give us plenty of time to call the police... and even escape if need be. Of course the most comman break-in occurs during daylight (morning) when family members are away (work and school). This also happens to be when sirens, bells, flashing lights and strobes are less effective. The alarms phone-dialer will call the police, the lights and sirens might scare away the intruder(s). The insurance adjuster will determend damage... and we will receive a check.

Of course... that isn't where it ends. I don't know if a burglar would "take" anything that can't be replaced... or if living in the home would ever feel as-safe again.

That's why I continue to look at... and for.. NEW deterrents.

Say Dave take a gander at this to seen similar units on "It Takes A Thief" don't want to over do it but it seems like it might be extremely effectice.

Tom j

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_MI/104-6865869-4848707?url=search-alias%3Dmi&field-keywords=Fog++Machine&x=12&y=16

HA Dave

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2008, 07:08:41 AM »

Wow... I just saw this device at Sam's Club yesterday and I am impressed. A floodlight with motion sensor, built-in video camera and recorder (SD card), AND voice announcements to warn away trespassers. All for under $100 . It can be hardwired or use the included plug-in cord.

This little device could completely back-up the system I have now.

dahur

• Helpful Post Rating: 10
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2008, 10:08:53 AM »

I'm impressed also. That looks like a great device. Helpful to Dave.
 I wonder how much it costs to become a member of Sam's Club?

I like that the recording also has a date/time stamp.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 11:12:21 AM by dahur »

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2008, 12:39:48 PM »

...A floodlight with motion sensor, built-in video camera and recorder (SD card), AND voice announcements to warn away trespassers....
I wonder how long a recording the 1GB SD card will hold as well as if it will support a larger card.

... I wonder how much it costs to become a member of Sam's Club?...
$40 or $45 a year.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

dahur

• Helpful Post Rating: 10
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2008, 01:50:45 PM »

[..
I wonder how long a recording the 1GB SD card will hold as well as if it will support a larger card.

Each activation records a 20 second clip, and the a 1g card will hold 500 clips. They say you can also use a 2g card/1000 20 second clips.
After the card is filled, it just overwrites itself, starting with the oldest file first.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2008, 06:04:44 PM »

3 AAA batteries for back up?
Can't see that lasting long, but it may prove to be a good investment for of grid locations! ::)
Nice find Dave_x10_L to bad the cam won't work in battery mode ::) !
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 06:13:10 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2008, 06:23:52 AM »

Great find Dave. Please keep us informed if you do get this device. Hopefully it will work better than the X10 flood cam.  ;)

+1
_ _ ...  ..._ _

HA Dave

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2008, 02:25:29 PM »

Each activation records a 20 second clip, and the a 1g card will hold 500 clips.

Yes even if it recorded me each morning on my way to work (5 days a week, 50 weeks a year = 250) that would still be 2 years... and thats IF I had a job.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2008, 08:16:52 PM »

Each activation records a 20 second clip, and the a 1g card will hold 500 clips.

Yes even if it recorded me each morning on my way to work (5 days a week, 50 weeks a year = 250) that would still be 2 years... and thats IF I had a job.
How sensitive is the motion sensor? If too sensitive, it might make almost continuous clips. Even so, 500 clips would go a long way.  ;)
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2008, 08:14:12 AM »

I just added a new YouTube Video which demo's a portion of my perimeter detection setup. Although you can't tell from the video... I can easily tell who is in it here.

It's a 23 second clip that shows the TV on, in early morning. I play the part of intruder... and get "caught on tape" and well as automatically displayed on the living room TV. As many that read the posts here know... I am a big fan of BVC and have found it very easy to intergrate into my Home Security setup.

The (BVC) voice announcement is broadcast outside (the neighbors are ok with that) as well as inside.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 07:36:47 AM by Dave_x10_L »

HA Dave

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2009, 07:00:47 PM »

This device isn't new or even new to the forum. Others have mentioned it before... but now smarthome has added video demos of the fake TV light projector and I think even lowered the price.

With vacation time approaching.... its worth some thought.

HA Dave

« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2009, 12:53:10 PM »

I know this is a dead old thread.. and maybe I should just let it rest in peace.. however.

I've recently been working on Occupancy Sensing and SARA [an automation project] and because I can now tell if anyone is home.. or not.. I have added a new security feature. Although this same feature could also be added to a setup with fewer bells and whistles. Like an addition to setting the alarm.

I made a WebPage for this Daytime Voice Warning and Video Recording using an X10 floodlight (PR511).
Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.