Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Are the Powerhorn/Lamp Module Compatible With Inverters?  (Read 11333 times)

spencex

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Are the Powerhorn/Lamp Module Compatible With Inverters?
« on: September 08, 2007, 12:12:56 PM »

I recently installed the X10 home security system in a remote cabin that is powered by solar/batteries and a modified sinewave inverter.

I have both the controller and the powerhorn connected to same outlet on the inverter, but the powerhorn does not work. Could this be because the inverter is not a PURE sinewave inverter?

If I knew for sure that a pure sinewave inverter would solve the problem, I'd consider buying one--although they're pretty pricey and I wouldn't want to buy one not knowing for sure that it would take care of the issue.

Thanks,
Spence

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Are the Powerhorn/Lamp Module Compatible With Inverters?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 04:12:07 PM »

Very well could be the modified sine wave. Others that have tried it have reported problems and I am sure that they will give data on switching to a pure sine wave type.
I have personally burned up a TM751 on an UPS as a test for a users question here. It also has a modified sine wave output.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 07:48:21 PM »

I recently installed the X10 home security system in a remote cabin that is powered by solar/batteries and a modified sinewave inverter...

...If I knew for sure that a pure sinewave inverter would solve the problem, I'd consider buying one...

Do an ADVANCED SEARCH with Keyword(s): cottage UserID: Tuicemen

and you should get several hits (discussions, beautiful photos, LINKs to other Solar sites) since Tuicemen has been working on his "Retirement Cottage" for years! :D

I like the idea of running the DS7000 through the 9VDC backup battery connection, saving TWO inversion steps. ;)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 07:51:51 PM by TakeTheActive »
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 08:02:18 PM »

The reason why most X10 modules do not like modified sine wave inverters is because they use inexpensive transformerless power supplies.  The rapid rise time causes the current limiting resistor in the transformerless power supply to absorb much more power than normal.  Transformerless power supplies will work properly with a pure sine wave inverter.  However, it must produce a clean sine wave without a lot of high-frequency content.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 09:51:00 PM »

spencex:
Running any thing that uses the power line for X10 is dangerous with a modified sine wave inverter!
Your lucky the DS7000 still works! running the DS7000 in backup mode (9volts) is the only way to go unless you wish to invest in a Pure sine wave Inverter!
i've also burned up a TM751 with the modified sine wave inverter! ;)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 09:52:51 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 06:28:32 PM »

I would think the X10 units that use a small power transformer. Like the TR16A; PH508A and others I can't think of at the moment; may fair better. probably the noise would kill the X10 signal but not fry the supply.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 10:47:31 PM »

I would think the X10 units that use a small power transformer. Like the TR16A; PH508A and others I can't think of at the moment; may fair better. probably the noise would kill the X10 signal but not fry the supply.
Walwarts seem to protect the device but if the device plugs directly into a wall outlet and has a transformer inside these seem to have problems! Not just X10 stuff either,they just don't work well and will eventualy fail if used with the modified sinwave inverter! :(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.