Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: x10 pool cover control  (Read 14887 times)

pjonson

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
x10 pool cover control
« on: September 04, 2007, 11:42:35 AM »

Hi,  I have a couple of x10 AM466 modules that I have wired into a rather complex array of relays to automate the opening and closing of my in-ground pool cover.

Problem is,  I have to issue an "ON" command from my remote control,  wait for the pool to either open or close,  then issue an "off" command or else
the pool cover motor continues to run and shuts off due to overheating.

Is there any module,  or way to hack the appliance module to require you to hold down the on button on the remote for the module to work ?

I want to set it up so as long as i hold down the on button on the remote,  the module works,  but as soon as I let go,  the module
needs to shut off.  I have opened up an AM466 and don't see a physical way to modify it,  as it seems as though the control board sends
a pulse to the mechanical relay in the module as opposed to a constant on.

Thanks in advance for any help you can lend !
Paul

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: x10 pool cover control
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 12:23:34 PM »

You can use a Powerflash module to do this. The powerflash can be made to issue an X10 "ON" when you provide a closure and an X10"OFF" upon the open. Or you could completely automate the process using the CM15A and Active Home Pro.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 12:31:16 PM »

Here is a topic for a mod by rms59 to do a similar task with drapes as you are doing with the pool cover. It may give you some ideas.

[USER IDEA] Modification to the AAM80 Drape Controller to Automate Your Drapes

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 12:51:06 PM »

I just install a garage door "open alert" using a wide opening (heavy duty) magnetic reed switch and a PowerFlash module. That would work perfectly for an auto-stop.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

pjonson

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 09:31:16 AM »

And these are all excellent ideas,  but I want the ability to be able to open / close the cover only as I hold down the button
on the remote,  in case I want to stop the cover at any point along the way.  This makes it necessary to have a module
that will only remain in the "on" state as long as you have the "on" button on the remote that corresponds to that module.

I already knew how to automate this pool cover,  but I can't do it because if you don't open the cover for a while,
it sticks to the concrete due to the moisture and heat.  You have to actually do a series of open/close in order
to break it free and get it to open.

So,  as you can see,  I need the versatility of being able to press and hold as I need to open/close the cover.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 12:24:14 PM »

I want the ability to be able to open / close the cover only as I hold down the button
on the remote,  in case I want to stop the cover at any point along the way.

Keeping a button pressed is not a good procedure to use with the X10 protocol.  That saturates the line with X10 traffic.  A better approach would be to build a macro in an automation controller to set up a toggle command.  Press once and the motor starts, press again to stop it.  Or you can use a timed event to run the motor for several seconds at a time.

Some high-end dimmer switches work like this.  Press once and it ramps to a full on (or a pre-set level).  Press again during the ramp and it stops at the present level.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 01:08:12 PM »

...Some high-end dimmer switches work like this.  Press once and it ramps to a full on (or a pre-set level).  Press again during the ramp and it stops at the present level....
However, he wouldn't want to use any form of dimmer for his application, would he?
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 01:26:36 PM »

And these are all excellent ideas,  but I want the ability to be able to open / close the cover only as I hold down the button
on the remote,  in case I want to stop the cover at any point along the way.

X10 isn't the answer here.

A cheap RC car will give you the type of transmitter & receiver you need; you would just have to modify the output of the receiver to interface with a larger motor.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 04:43:54 PM »

However, he wouldn't want to use any form of dimmer for his application, would he?

I never suggested a dimmer be used for this application.  I merely pointed out that there are switches that work with a push to start an action, and another push stops it.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 07:45:47 PM »

X10 isn't the answer here.

A cheap RC car will give you the type of transmitter & receiver you need; you would just have to modify the output of the receiver to interface with a larger motor.

I agree completely (and wish I'd thought of that). But instead of modifying a RC car.... stop at the hobby store and get a decent remote unit... that will also be easier to modify
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 12:38:23 PM »

...but I want the ability to be able to open / close the cover only as I hold down the button
on the remote,  in case I want to stop the cover at any point along the way.  This makes it necessary to have a module that will only remain in the "on" state as long as you have the "on" button on the remote that corresponds to that module.

So,  as you can see,  I need the versatility of being able to press and hold as I need to open/close the cover.

Yes I do see (at least I think so, we do not know what functions you are doing with the relays).

Once again...you can probably do this with a Powerflash module. It will not flood the mains with X10 commands. It will give you an ON when you push the momentary button and an OFF when you release the button. I did not note this earlier, but you will need two PowerFlash modules and two buttons,  for "open cover" and for "close cover", they will each be addressed to your appliance modules assuming you use one module for "open" and one module for "close".

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 10:15:04 PM »

...I have a couple of x10 AM466 modules that I have wired into a rather complex array of relays to automate the opening and closing of my in-ground pool cover.

...Is there any module,  or way to hack the appliance module to require you to hold down the on button on the remote for the module to work ?

SEARCH: Ido Bartana's EXCELLENT X10 Home Automation Database

And be sure to send Ido a THANK YOU E-MAIL for providing this *FREE* service to the X10 Community for all these years!

Some possible candidates:

• Modifying Appliance Modules for Momentary Operation - source: newsgroup post by Dr. Ed Cheung
    Normally appliance modules turn on and stay on in response to an ON command, and off in response to an OFF command. In response to an ON command appliance modules modified as described in this section will pulse on then off twice, returning to the off position.

• Modifying the Mini-Controller for Momentary Operation - source: newsgroup post by Dr. Ed Cheung
    When a Mini-Controller is modified as below, your key presses are undone as soon as you release the key. Thus pressing 'on' and then releasing, sends an 'ON' and then a 'OFF' command. This is also true for 'All Unit' commands. This mod only works on model 'MC460' Mini-Controllers, and not the 'MC260' (If anyone knows how to identify the two, please post).

• Changing the Length of Momentary Mode Time on a Universal Module - no source or description available

...Problem is,  I have to issue an "ON" command from my remote control,  wait for the pool to either open or close,  then issue an "off" command or else the pool cover motor continues to run and shuts off due to overheating.

Why haven't you installed LIMIT SWITCHES to prevent this? ???
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 11:44:45 AM »

pjonson

Kudos to TTA!

The "Modifying the (MC460) Mini-Controller for momentary operation" link will accomplish the same objective as my idea of using two Powerflash modules, and at less cost.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.