Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Which Home Security System (and Components) Should I Buy?  (Read 11662 times)

Mr Bob

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Which Home Security System (and Components) Should I Buy?
« on: September 14, 2007, 04:02:53 PM »

A couple of weeks ago, a guy climbed up onto the porch roof, removed the screen from my 16 year old daughter's bedroom window, opened the window, and broke in to her bedroom.  I NEED a home security system.  I was about 99% certain that I wanted the X10 system because of it's low cost and flexibility.  But lately I've been hearing negative things about the X10 technology (I just read the Insteon-X10 Comparison).  So what say ye?  Should I buy the X10 now, or wait a couple weeks and buy a more current system?  Also, which items should I buy?

The guy involved is the relatively new neighbor's 28 year old son who was just released from prison for drug related offenses.  He is currently pending felony prosecution . . .

Thanks!
Bob H
[/size]
Cheers!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Bob H.
Southern Maryland

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: Which Home Security System (and Components) Should I Buy?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 05:55:55 PM »

The guy involved is the relatively new neighbor's 28 year old son who was just released from prison for drug related offenses.  He is currently pending felony prosecution . . .

After what he already did, I personally would not wait any longer.

The X10 DS7000 is a good system. Like all security systems they have their pros & cons (no pun intended).

At least with the X10 system you will have some lights flashing to go with the siren. Just make sure you get enough door/window sensors for all access points.

It's inexpensive, relatively easy to set up, and you can always expand with more X10 products later to enhance the security features and enter into home automation. Or use it to compliment another security system down the road.

Regardless of the route you take, come back and post again to let us know how things go.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 06:25:49 PM »

There is a lot of discussion on the forum including some from me regarding alarm systems. Please search the forum and read up on some of the comments.

To sum up my opinion, I love X10 but would not want to exclusively rely on it to protect myself and property. I don't think the X10 system gives you a monitoring service option. (Someone please let me know if I'm wrong.) I recommend a professionally installed system that lets you pick your own monitoring service. If you shop around, you can find a reasonable monitoring service. I only pay $107.40 a year ($8.95/month).

The advantages of a monitored system hands down beats you being called or relying on a neighbor to call. e.g. With a monitored system a fire alert will result in an immediate call to the fire department. Suppose you were out of town and had an automated system call you and tell you your house was on fire. The lost time for you to call, perhaps long distance, to a fire department could be tragic. Suppose you just happened to be out of cell range?

Don't forget physical security also. Lock doors and windows.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 01:07:47 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 06:34:01 PM »

...a guy climbed up onto the porch roof, removed the screen from my 16 year old daughter's bedroom window, opened the window, and broke in to her bedroom....
I hope your daughter is doing well. A burglary is traumatizing enough. It's even worse to fear for the safety of your children and loved ones.
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Duck69

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
  • Unselfish Love
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 08:27:19 PM »

Mr Bob,
I hope your daughter is well and coping.
Ordinarily I would suggest the X10 system using the DS7000.
However with children in the home, I would heartily recommend that you get a monitored system.
I see that Smarthome has apparently teamed up with Alarm Relay. Their service is $8.95 a month.
I believe the X10 PRO2000™ monitored system is compatible, however I can't say for sure as I don't have one.
Check out the Smarthome page @ http://www.smarthome.com/alarm.html?src=HML07RB73
Call Alarm Relay (number is on Smarthome's page) and ask about compatibility.
"I'm not lazy, I'm just Resistant to exertion."

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 12:11:41 PM »

After reading your story, I think I would go for Wells Fargo Security and a 9mm.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Duck69

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
  • Unselfish Love
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 11:48:39 AM »

I just got off the phone with Mariah @ Alarm Relay. 1-800-624-6866
She faxed me a list of compatible systems. The PRO 2000 was not on the list.
However when she checked into it, I was told that  the PRO 2000 is compatible with their system.  ;)  ;D

UPDATE: Another call to Alarm Relay indicated that the information I received earlier was incorrect,
That Mariah thought that I was asking about a different product.

This time I was told that the Pro 2000 is NOT COMPATIBLE with their system.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 08:49:38 AM by Duck69 »
"I'm not lazy, I'm just Resistant to exertion."

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 01:31:18 PM »

I just got off the phone with Mariah @ Alarm Relay. 1-800-624-6866
She faxed me a list of compatible systems. The PRO 2000 was not on the list.
However when she checked into it, I was told that  the PRO 2000 is compatible with their system.  ;)  ;D
While just about any alarm, unless programming is blocked, can be programed to call Alarm Relay, will it advice them as to the zone that was tripped and whether it is a fire or burglary? My alarm system has separate zones for each point of possible entry and the triggered zone is transmitted to the monitoring service. Each door and each window is on a separate zone. If a false alarm should occur, I'd like to to able to easily know what sensor failed.

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 03:18:27 AM »

A couple of weeks ago, a guy climbed up onto the porch roof, removed the screen from my 16 year old daughter's bedroom window, opened the window, and broke in to her bedroom.  I NEED a home security system.  I was about 99% certain that I wanted the X10 system because of it's low cost and flexibility.  But lately I've been hearing negative things about the X10 technology (I just read the Insteon-X10 Comparison).  So what say ye?  Should I buy the X10 now, or wait a couple weeks and buy a more current system?  Also, which items should I buy?

Thanks!
Bob H
[/size]

Say Bob check out my review on the system it might help you in making your decision.

Tom j

http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=13473.0

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 01:09:43 AM »

After reading your story, I think I would go for Wells Fargo Security and a 9mm.

I use a S&W 40 cal myself, that and a DSC security system.   ;)

Tom j

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 11:50:27 AM »

Yup, the S&W 40 CAL alarm system with the loud 120dB audible alarm and the protective impact system is a dandy.  :D
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Mr Bob

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 12:48:58 PM »

I originally posted this directly to Bill, who suggested that I re-post it here.  Since then, I've read Tom's comments on why NOT to go with x10 home security.  Thanks for providing that, Tom. 

Also, I tried to gather info on the DSC systems - with little or no success.  Their .pdf catalog inplies that their system will communicate with the x10 home automation side to , for example, flash all lights.  Am I not reading this correctly? 

I would like to thank anyone who would be gracious enough to respond.  All advice and suggestion are welcome. 

The original post follows:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 5:33 AM
To: bill@wgjohns.com
Subject: X10 System Needs

Hello Bill,

I found your website via the X10 forum.  I am hoping that you will help me design and build a system for my home.  A couple of weeks ago, my new across–the-street-neighbor’s 28 year old felon son climbed up onto my garage roof, walked over to my front porch roof, and proceed to remove the screen to my 16 year old daughter’s bedroom, open the window and enter her bedroom at 4:00 am!  I have an immediate need to protect her/warn me should he ever get out of prison!  It’s been done once – it can happen again.

I have been interested in the X10 technology since the days of my Commodore 64 computer when I first heard of it.  There are so many components today it is overwhelming.  I read about a component, dicide that I need it, then move on to the next, decide that I need it too . . .  It seems never to end. 

Here’s what I’d like to do:

Security

2 or more motion sensors outside to trigger floodlights and sound chimes in the house when anyone approaches from the front.  Probably need the same to alarm of approaches from the rear of the house.  (My back yard joins the woods with uncontrolled access)

Another motion detector on the front porch which would flash the lights if anyone comes on the porch after setting the alarm.   

A new siren to replace the 20-year old one in the garage attic vent.  (do I need 2: – another one in the house attic vent facing in the opposite direction??)

Window/door sensors:
    4 windows upstairs that face the porch roof
    4 windows downstairs living room (we were burglarized 10 years via one of these)
    2 kitchen windows
    2 garage windows

Entry Doors:
   Front door
   dinning room-front porch door (French door)
   laundry room door
   sliding glass patio door
   door from house into garage
   (2-car garage door??)
   outside basement door

Automtion
[/b]

Additionally, I’d like some X10 home automation features.  The following outdoor lights are now controlled by wall switches:

Outdoor post light in yard with outdoor outlet (for hedge trimmer, etc.)
   Outside light fixtures at 5 other entry doors

Interior Lights (wall switches):

2-way switches: 

entry hall light
   family room single switch controls ceiling fan and attached lights
   master bedroom and three children’s bedrooms (each room has 2 separate 2-way switches: 1 for ceiling fan and 1 for the lights attached to it)
   kitchen table ceiling light
   kitchen sink light
   garage lights
   basement light
   laundry room

3-way switches: 
   downstairs hallway light
   stairs light
   kitchen light (fluorescent)
   dining room light

Interior lamps (lamp modules):

lamp on gun safe
   File Cabinet lamp – This outlet also powers a computer and printer
   Family room lamp 1
   Family room lamp 2
   Dining room lamp – This outlet also powers a computer and printer
   Night stand lamps (5) : one of these also drives CPAP and Oxygen Concentrator  machine
   Living room lamp – This outlet also powers a computer and printer
   ??Stereo and TV outlets – is there a need/benefit to these??

There are 2 adults and 3 children (2 teenagers) who will all need portable remotes to control lights, e.g. walking the dog at night.  Also, I would like to control and manage this via my computer running Windows XP, and from remotes (downstairs for lights & TV, etc, and upstairs bedroom.  I’m handicapped and can only navigate the stairs once / day)   

Is Lola worthwhile?  We have an older stereo system in the family room and I have several thousand .mp3 files on my PC.  ‘twould be real cool to be able to play and control those files from the family room . . .   But only if it really works . . .

Other suggestions/comments?  I am completely at your mercy, and open to recommendations.

I intend to purchase this equipment within a week or so.  Can you please send me a proposal/price list?  Please call if there are any questions.  Thank you very much.       

I sure hope this makes sense!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers!

Bob Hendry
Southern Maryland

(301) 870-8744

[/color][/size]
Cheers!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Bob H.
Southern Maryland

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 11:20:20 PM »

...I tried to gather info on the DSC - with little or no success.  Their .pdf catalog inplies that their system will communicate with the x10 home automation side to , for example, flash all lights.  Am I not reading this correctly?...
I think all the DSC systems have a low voltage output that can be used to trigger a powerflash module. Perhaps Bill can confirm this.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2007, 01:44:00 AM »

...I tried to gather info on the DSC - with little or no success.  Their .pdf catalog inplies that their system will communicate with the x10 home automation side to , for example, flash all lights.  Am I not reading this correctly?...
I think all the DSC systems have a low voltage output that can be used to trigger a powerflash module. Perhaps Bill can confirm this.

Most alarm systems (period) can trigger a powerflash module.  Either by tapping the voltage output for the siren, or sometimes a contact closure.

Let me look at DSC, I have access to "inside information" as an installer.  Off the top of my head, I think certain DSC panels can do more than just trigger a powerflash, but I will have to research a little.
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Mr Bob

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2007, 10:23:27 AM »

Thanks for all the great info.  I think I'll go ahead and start-in on the AHP side - and hold off on the security system side until Bill has a chance to check into the DSC compatibility issues.

Where is the best place to buy x10 components? 

Thanks.
Bob H
Southern Maryland

Cheers!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Bob H.
Southern Maryland
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.