Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need help on malfunctioned X10 Pro Maxi Controller  (Read 4554 times)

glcax10

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Need help on malfunctioned X10 Pro Maxi Controller
« on: June 19, 2007, 12:21:42 PM »

I have a X10 Pro Maxi Controller installed to control all the lighting fixtures in one room.  The existing lighting fixtures used to be T12 fluorescent tubes c/w magnetic ballast and the whole control system worked very well.  But about two months ago, all the T12 tubes were retrofitted with new T8 fluorescent tubes c/w new electronic ballast and then the control system started malfunctioning.  I havn't figured out a solution yet.  Does anyone have any helpful ideas?  Thanks.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Need help on malfunctioned X10 Pro Maxi Controller
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 12:35:19 PM »

The electronic ballasts emit noise which attenuates or completly blocks the X10 signal. The solution is to put filters between the ballasts and the X10 module you have controlling the lights. Search the forum for "noise" and "filters".
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 10:30:30 AM »

all the T12 tubes were retrofitted with new T8 fluorescent tubes c/w new electronic ballast and then the control system started malfunctioning.

Install the Leviton 6287 noise block between your lights and the switch that controls them.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

markkaye

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 08:59:59 PM »

My problem is different, but T8 related.  I "upgraded" a working fixture controlled by an XPFM to T8 because of the audible noise of the light.  Now, when the light is off by an XPFM, it flashes on dimly.  I put a meter on the AC power and it shows about 17 volts AC when the XPFM is off.  So I took out the XPFM and put in an appliance module.  Same thing.  I cannot turn the light completely out.  Sometimes, it turns off and then after about five seconds, it clicks back on.  If it does stay off, the light flashes, albeit not that brightly, every few seconds.  What is causing this problem and how do I cure it?  I really like the T8 light, it has a nice colour balance and it is completely quiet, no annoying buzz.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 06:53:27 AM »

Not 100% on the XPFM but the Appliance Modules have a Local Control Circuit. This allows you to flip the local on off switch on the controlled device to turn it back on. This circuit has a small electrical current flowing in the load at all times. This is known to trigger fluorescent light back on and flicker some lights. This sounds like your problem. Many hook a small 7 watt nightlight across the load to fix it. Appliance modules [well older ones anyway] have a mod to disable the current at the expense of your warranty.

markkaye

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 07:55:19 AM »

Lying in bed last night, that was what I came up with.  I thought I would put a 20K two watt resistor across the line.  That would be just under a watt of power.  Basically, you are suggesting the same thing.  I will give it a try.
   Where do I find this over ride for local control fix?  I have a spare appliance module that I do not care about the warranty with.  The T8 light is worth the effort.  I think that X10 is going to have to start making products that are fluorescent compliant or go out of business.  We soon will have legislation banning incandescent lights.  Most of our home will be in the dark after that... :)

markkaye

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 11:52:14 AM »

Well, thanks for all of the help and to John from X10Pro.  I googled local control and came up with a circuit diagram that showed me what to do.  In the XPFM, remove the 10K resistor on pin seven of the control chip and the unit does not flicker when it is off any longer.  Strangely, removing the jumper on the AM486 while making the unit not turn back on after the first flicker, did not stop it from flickering.  I am happy to report that I can use the T8 electronic ballast.  I do not have to listen to that horrible buzzing sound over my head while listening to my stereo and soldering at the bench any longer.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 11:55:20 AM »

Lying in bed last night, that was what I came up with.  I thought I would put a 20K two watt resistor across the line.  That would be just under a watt of power.  Basically, you are suggesting the same thing.  I will give it a try.
   Where do I find this over ride for local control fix? 
sounds like you fixed it, but this may help in the future.
http://www.idobartana.com/hakb/Modifying_Appliance_module.htm
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 12:10:44 PM »

You have to cut a diode to stop the local current. The jumper also.
The new Appliance Modules with the surface mounted ICs we have very little data on so far.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.