Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WS467 Wall Switch Module doesn't turn the light off all of the way.  (Read 4424 times)

kmcgillycuddy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I have put in a WS467 to replace a dimmer switch in my living room.  Manual on and off work well.  Dimming all of the way up works well.  Dimming down works about 95%, there is still a low orange glow in the bulbs.  I can then manually turn the switch off and the glow disappears and the lights are off.

I have moved the WS467 to a second switch location with the same affect.  My next step will be to try a new WS467 to see if it's the individual unit.  The overhead lights worked fine on the old dimmer.  It's a basic three light unit with three 60w bulbs.

Has anyone come across this?  If so I welcome your thoughts.

Thanks,

Kevin

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: WS467 Wall Switch Module doesn't turn the light off all of the way.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 04:40:39 PM »

Thw WS467 and LM465s have been changed recently. Like the lamp module now has soft start.
TakeTheActive has compiled a few of the threads in one easy to use message here:
http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=13357.0

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 09:16:09 PM »

I have put in a WS467 to replace a dimmer switch in my living room.  Manual on and off work well.  Dimming all of the way up works well.  Dimming down works about 95%, there is still a low orange glow in the bulbs.  I can then manually turn the switch off and the glow disappears and the lights are off.

I have moved the WS467 to a second switch location with the same affect.  My next step will be to try a new WS467 to see if it's the individual unit.  The overhead lights worked fine on the old dimmer.  It's a basic three light unit with three 60w bulbs.

Has anyone come across this?  If so I welcome your thoughts.

Thanks,

Kevin

The "new and improved" WS467 doesn't dim to darkness like the original WS467.   But the usual reason for doing this is so it can be gradually brightened instead of first coming on full bright and dimming down.  The new WS467 supports the Extended Code commands and can be brought from the Off state directly to the desired dim level.

You can operate the new WS467 with the Extended Code commands by programming it instead as a LM14A.  There are some flaws, but workarounds exist.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

chase

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 05:46:48 PM »

I have been setting up my ws467s as lm14a's in AHP, and you right, they sort of work.  However, this is not a complete workaround so you have to play around with macros (change order of steps, insert delays, use dummy modules, etc.) to get them to work correctly, and even then AHP won't display the status correctly.

Does anyone know why they are not simply fixing AHP?  Is X10 simply a scam marketing company or are they a serious company?  This has been a well known issue for almost a year now.  As it is right now, X10 is a marketing scam. They are knowingly selling a prodct that does not work as advertised.  This is also fraud.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 07:58:08 PM »

I have been setting up my ws467s as lm14a's in AHP, and you right, they sort of work.  However, this is not a complete workaround so you have to play around with macros (change order of steps, insert delays, use dummy modules, etc.) to get them to work correctly, and even then AHP won't display the status correctly.

You can also set them up as a WS467 and macros will work OK provided you click Tools > Preferences > Macros and check the box "Use On instead of Brighten 100%".  Simple downloaded timers however will not work properly - you have to reprogram them as a pair of macros controlled by a timer.

Does anyone know why they are not simply fixing AHP?  Is X10 simply a scam marketing company or are they a serious company?  This has been a well known issue for almost a year now.  As it is right now, X10 is a marketing scam. They are knowingly selling a prodct that does not work as advertised.  This is also fraud.

Nah, the problem with the WS467 is due to plain old incompetent engineering management.   X-10 was forced to redesign the module hardware due to the obsolescence of one of the components.  They decided to improve the module firmware by adding support for Extended Code commands but neglected to insure that the new design is backward compatible with the old design and with AHP.  It remains to be seen whether X-10 will fix the module firmware, kluge up AHP to compensate, or do nothing.

Other users have gotten an RMA and returned the WS467 units as defective and obtained replacements which are compatible.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.