Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Triggering with a UM506  (Read 7048 times)

cragmor

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Triggering with a UM506
« on: September 29, 2007, 09:27:57 PM »

I was sold a UM506 to connect to my doorbell. When someone rang the doorbell, and the contacts on the UM506 were closed, it would send a signal to the computer interface, which would activate a macro which would turn on a lamp module. This is not working. As far as I can see, the UM506 is meant to have devices connected to the screw terminals to be controlled. Nothing I have read says that I can use the terminals to control the module.
Is there something that was not explained to me to get this to work. Does it require a certain voltage? A nine volt battery did not work. Does it need to be AC?
Anyone have any info they can give me?
TIA.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Triggering with a UM506
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 10:34:07 PM »

The UM506 Universal Module is a switch. A X10 PLC (power line) signal triggers the switch and closes (or opens) the low voltage contacts. This unit is GREAT for automatic (timed) sprinklers and such.

The module you need is the powerflash unit (PF284).

Sorry.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

cragmor

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 11:27:27 PM »

Looking at the description of the item, can it just be used to trigger a macro. Set it as a condition? I would also like the PC to issue a command. I guess that if I just used the all lights on feature, and when my lamp module is on, the macro runs the command on the PC, then turns everything off after a certain amount of time. Would this work?
To give detail of what I am trying to do, the door bell is rung, this triggers the macro. The macro turns on the lamp module, then runs a command, then after x time, turns the lamp off. Wait for the door bell to be rung again to repeat.
If need be, is there a motion detector that will work the same? If so, will it transmit over power lines, or use RF?
On a side note, can someone make sure that sales people are versed in what items do what? I have had several sales people tell me that the UM506 can be used to trigger something using the terminals. I have the chat logs to prove it.

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 11:56:16 PM »

Looking at the description of the item, can it just be used to trigger a macro. Set it as a condition?

No

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 12:22:59 AM »

Looking at the description of the item, can it just be used to trigger a macro. Set it as a condition? I would also like the PC to issue a command. I guess that if I just used the all lights on feature, and when my lamp module is on, the macro runs the command on the PC, then turns everything off after a certain amount of time. Would this work?
To give detail of what I am trying to do, the door bell is rung, this triggers the macro. The macro turns on the lamp module, then runs a command, then after x time, turns the lamp off. Wait for the door bell to be rung again to repeat.
If need be, is there a motion detector that will work the same? If so, will it transmit over power lines, or use RF?
On a side note, can someone make sure that sales people are versed in what items do what? I have had several sales people tell me that the UM506 can be used to trigger something using the terminals. I have the chat logs to prove it.

Sorry, Dave is quite correct.  The universal module takes an X10 signal from the power line and opens or closes its contacts.  The powerflash module takes a voltage or contact closure and generates an X10 signal on the power line.

I would say you have good reason to get X10 to return for replacement!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 06:58:16 AM »

Yes you need a PF284 Powerflash module. I use one myself to trigger some SC546A Chime Modules when the doorbell rings. I use a ELK ELK-930 doorbell detector to sens either the front or rear bell being activeted. The PF248 can be triggered directly by the bells low voltage signal.

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 11:16:25 AM »

No

I am so sorry about my brief response. It was late and I should have explained more..... somehow I thought a short answer may say it all. I didn't mean to sound rude.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 12:21:13 PM »

This might be a case of you talking oranges and the X10 sales folk talking apples. i.e. " ...the UM506 can be used to trigger something using the terminals..."  this statement is 100% true.

When the UM506 is sent a X10 ON code, it provdes a closure across it's terminal screws which CAN be used to trigger something, such as closing the garage door.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.