Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

VOTING HAS CLOSED! Stay tuned while we tally the votes and reveal our winner!

#001: Raymond Little - X10 Camera Spotlight Idea
- 0 (0%)
#002: Steven R - A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words
- 0 (0%)
#003: Cragmor - "OOO isn't that scary?"
- 0 (0%)
#004: TrickTrick - Bought X10 Specifically To Trigger Effects
- 0 (0%)
#005: Austin Pilz - Haunted House Services
- 0 (0%)
#006: Israel Katcher - Capture cute kids in costume for replay
- 0 (0%)
#007: Chris M Tuttle - Vandal Payback!!!!!!!
- 0 (0%)
#008: Daemon: Bobo or Spike
- 0 (0%)
#009: Rebecca Buffington-  Ghouls & Goblins Everywhere!
- 0 (0%)
#010: Juli - First Time was a charm!
- 0 (0%)
#011: MetKit - Haunted house In the Backyard
- 0 (0%)
#012: SteveR - Vanguard Companion
- 0 (0%)
#013: Flashular-Dashular - Local-School Haunted House
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 28, 2007, 12:14:29 AM

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [Closed] X10 Halloween Contest! Time to give away another FREE Sentinel Camera!  (Read 72298 times)

Michael M.

• Typologist
  • Helpful Post Rating: 9
    • X10 Community

Note: 10/29/2007 - Congrats to Steven R!  Contest WINNER for the X10 Halloween Free Sentinel Giveaway!  Steven R's creative display garnered him the most votes, and thus he will be awarded with an X10 Sentinel Camera Kit valued at $600!

Thank you to everyone who participated by either sending in your entry or by voting! And again, CONGRATS goes out to Steven R!  :)

--------------------

Listen up Ghouls, Goblins and X10 Fanatics!

Congratulations to Dave x10 L and his X10 Home of the Future, the winner of the September X10 Idea Contest. We got tons of great ideas from the contest. So, after the resounding success of our first X10 Idea Contest, we have decided to throw A SECOND CONTEST THIS MONTH!

This time the theme will be Halloween! We want to hear and see how you use your X10 products to spice up Halloween! Cameras to see trick-or-treaters, alert systems, special effects - show us! We will let the public vote on the best/most creative idea. And here's the best part: The winner will once again win a FREE X10 Sentinel!

That's right! A FREE Pro-Grade, 44X Zoom, NightVision, Outdoor Camera! This is the absolute BEST camera that we sell!

REPLY TO THIS POST WITH YOUR STORIES, PHOTOS AND VIDEO TO SHOW YOUR WAYS AND IDEAS HOW YOU USE X10 PRODUCTS TO CELEBRATE HALLOWEEN!

For October, we will be accepting submissions until 10/21 at midnight. The poll to determine the winner will be held from 10/22 to 10/26.[/color]

Disclaimer: X10 reserves the rights to award prizes at their own discretion.  Only 1 winner will receive the grand prize of an X10 Sentinel Camera.  Awarded prizes hold zero or no cash value and cannot be exchanged or negotiated.  In the event of a tie at the conclusion of the contest, a runoff between the tied top-vote receivers will occur using a poll-style format.  In the event a winner can not be determined, X10 reserves the right to choose a winner based on their own selection process.  Only 1 vote per IP Address and household will be counted.  Multiple votes from the same IP address will be removed, and the applicant can be subject to disqualification for violating these terms.  In addition, only 1 entry per contest can be submitted, as multiple entries will be deemed void and will not be eligible for this contest.  Winners of past X10 contests up to 6 months prior will be ineligible to participate in future or present contests and receive prizes until the due date of 6 months past the date of their original winning or 6 contests have occured from the time of winning.  With your entry submission, you hereby grant X10 all RIGHTS to use, publish, display, your comments, ideas, suggestions, thoughts, etc. however X10 chooses.  You understand that your entry may be used for advertising or marketing purposes and you hereby release X10, their associiates, affiliates, and all parties involved from any form of litigation or legalities over its use(s).  All entries become the property of X10.  X10 reserves the right to modify these rules at anytime on their own discretion without prior notice.   All entrants must be 18 years or older to participate or have parental or guardian consent.  This contest is void where prohibited by law.  Please allow up to 6 weeks from the close of the contest for delivery of prizes. X10 reserves the right to disqualify any entrant trying to tamper with contest submission process and/or disqualify any entrant violating these rules and regulations. X10 reserves the right to cancel this contest at anytime if unforeseen circumstances arise, such as unauthorized tampering, computer viruses, technical failures and any other causes beyond control pertaining to how the contest is administered. X10 reserves the right to change the provisions set out in this disclaimer at any time without notice.  The grand prize contest runs until October 26, 2007 at 11:59 PM Eastern Time.  These disclaimers and rules are the governing body of this contest and override any and all other notifications, notices, and announcements regarding this contest pertaining to prizes, dates, and all information.  Your entry hereby states that you have read these rules and agree to the conditions of these terms and disclaimers.
Note: Edited title to show contest closed!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 10:06:59 AM by Tuicemen »
Read my blog at www.x10community.com/michaelm

Visit the Community Site at www.x10community.com

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10

Entry #002

When trick or treaters approach my house, the front light dims and fogger runs. Last year there was so much fog that one of my neighbors called the fire department.  This year I'm adding a strobe and eerie sounds to the display. Maybe I'll get to meet some firemen from the new fire department near me.  ;)

The motion detector points straight down in front of the door so there's no false alarms. I have an X10 controlled outlet just to the left of the door. (I'd love to add a X10 Sentinel camera at my front door.) The motion detector triggers a macro that I created with AHP times the event perfectly.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words so here goes.

Animated For Your Viewing Pleasure by X10.

FYI... A motion sensor triggers the following macro to trigger the effects. I now have strobe that has built in sounds that come on the same time as the fogger. I intentionally repeat the ON and OFF commands to make sure they aren't missed. A flag keeps the macro from running more than once at a time and gives me time to pass out candy before it resets for the the next group of Trick or Treaters.

Halloween I1 On and
Flag Status Off exactly 6 and
The date is between 10/13 and 10/31 Set Flags [6] Flag Command 
(C1) Front Porch Brighten then dim to 5%
Delay for 1 Second
(F1) Fogger ON
Delay for 1 Second
(F1) Fogger ON
Delay for 10 Seconds
(C1) Front Porch Brighten then dim to 98%
Delay for 3 Seconds
(F1) Fogger OFF
Delay for 5 Seconds
(F1) Fogger OFF
Delay for 5 Seconds
(F1) Fogger OFF
Delay for 34 Seconds
Clear Flags [6] Flag Command 

« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 05:48:08 PM by Michael M. »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

cragmor

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Entry #003

I have a motion sensitive prop on the steps, along with a list of many other props. The idea is that people will see the things, they will make noises, and the people will act all scared for the kids. "OOO isn't that scary?"
When they ring the doorbell, it is wired to a powerflash interface. That will trigger a macro that turns on a strobe, and triggers a smoke machine. The macro will also run a sound file I created with screams, and moans, and the speakers are run around the porch, played in 5.1 stereo, so they will not know where the noise is coming from. Simple to set up with a lamp module, Active home pro software, PC interface, and the powerflash module. I had to build a remote that had a relay that was triggered by a 12 volt DC adapter that would turn on with the strobe.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 05:48:23 PM by Michael M. »

trickrick

Entry #004

This is my first X10 Halloween.  I bought X10 products specifically to trigger my effects.

Imagine this....  As you come closer to my home you see a graveyard on the front lawn.  The first thing you notice is a dimly lit casket with a zombie looking guy trying to escape.  As you get closer, the lights get brighter (via motion sensor and macro) and then a few seconds later the zombie vomits green goo and makes a puke sound. (done with an appliance module plugged into a fountain pump that recycles my green goop into the zombies mouth just like a garden fountain + a looping mp3 player of barf sounds that are amplified by speakers that are also plugged into an appliance module.

Just when you are done being grossed out, you move closer to the walkway.  Your confidence rises as you see a very silly looking ghost that is just a sheet over a stick in the ground.  as you move past the ghost, another sensor and appliance module trigger my garden leaf blower that is hidden under my ghost and aimed right at the visitors legs.  They scream!!!!!  2 seconds later a super bright spotlight shines on them and then everything dies down.

Whew!  Their heart is beating now.  They are greeted by a pirate voice of a pirate skeleton dimly lit and triggered once they get close enough.  Again, mp3 loop, appliance module and speakers.

Plenty of smoke and background sounds.  And this is just the first year.  Wait and see what I have in store next year after I save up for more X10 stuff.  Wahooooo.  Have a scary day.

Ricky

PS.  If I win, I will use the camera to see guest way before they get to my house.  I will have a speaker in the bushes and talk to them.  I will have a reciever so i can hear what they say.  They will see no one near but I will know what they look like and ask them to do all sorts of silly things.  Hop up and down on one foot and I will give you candy.  Junk like that.  You can imagine the possabilities.

Please, please, please vote for me.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 05:48:40 PM by Michael M. »

Michael M.

• Typologist
    • X10 Community

Thanks for sharing so far everyone!  Definitely some very creative ideas!  Especailly love the photos to illustrate Steven R's awesome setup!

Love the creativity and continue to keep on sharing, as someone is going to win another X10 Sentinel for their idea!

Cheers,
Michael M.

Austin Pilz

Entry #005

I would use X-10 for haunted house services. I would use the light sensors to control spooky lights and i would use cameras to view customers security and health. I would also use a power controller to shut on and off my fog machine. Finally I could use the motion sensor to tell when customers enter a specific room! And best of all, X10 has web enabled products so I could do this all at home!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 05:48:56 PM by Michael M. »

Israel Katcher

Entry #006

I would use the camera to capture all of the cute little kids in costume and play this video next year on a TV set for the newcomers. i
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 05:49:14 PM by Michael M. »

chris m tuttle

Entry #007

>:(    it's payback!!!!!!!!!

my family and i have live on a corner of a seemingly nice neighborhood for the last 7 yrs, i like living here.  there are some exceptions though.  our house has been egged hundreds of times as well as our vehicles.  permanent damage to our side panaling of our house.  twice we had car stereos stolen from our garage, they walked in from the side door in the middle of the night.  my truck was stolen.  graffitti on our fence and just recently graffitti on our fullsize white van, the suspects spray painted         F*** YOU D**K!!!!!!!!      >:( >:( >:( >:(

the gloves are off!!!

i've been researching security systems for awhile and i like the sentinel.  i could use it.

hope you lied my idea .

i just thought up another thing that happened.  one day i was driving my child to school. i pulled out of my street an i was amazed at what i saw.  there, half on the street and half on the sidewalk was an old luv luv seat, recliner, a couple of lawn chairs, stand up lamps and a little bit of misc. stuff.  that floored me .  if i had a camera system i would of had a rad bust on some horrible people, wouldn't you agree?

well, good luck you guys.

so long , crazychris

« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 05:49:53 PM by Michael M. »

Daemon

Entry #008

This year we are adding two new props to our house using X10 products. The first is a set of legs under the garage door with the sounds of screaming as the legs rock back and forth.  :o
Thes are motion activated by an x10 outdoor Security Motion Sensor wired to the garage door opener so it doesn't start until the child is walking up the driveway. Then the garage door raises as the legs get yanked into the dark garage and the screaming suddenly stops. Then out of the darkness rides a remote controlled electric wheel chair that has an XCam2 NightWatch Wireless setup so it can chase the children!
The only problem so far is deciding which monster to put in the wheelchair. Do we use Bobo
the evil clown (he’s 3 feet high and creepy as can be) or do we use Spike the evil eyed freaky child monster (about the same height) who has no legs...Hmmnn... ???

« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 05:50:08 PM by Michael M. »

Michael M.

• Typologist
    • X10 Community

Haha... Definitely some great suggestions and ideas from all of you.   Thanks for sharing, and for the laughs....

Chris Tutttle, it definitely sounds like you would have a need for a camera system, or even an alarm system to help you..

Daemon, keep us posted on whether you decided to go with Bob or Spike....  I'm definitely intruiged in learning more about how that goes for you...

thanks and keep on posting those stories!
Regards,
Michael M.

Rebecca Buffington

Entry #009

I just love taking pictures. I have so very many wonderful memory books! Halloween is one of my favorite holidays and as you can imagine I try to take tons of photos!
Alot of parents forget to bring their camera ,or cannot afford one, to take pictures of their child Trick or Treating . So I thought if I had an awesome X10 Sentinel Pro-Grade, 44X Zoom, NightVision, Outdoor Camera, I could finally do something REALLY cool!!
Every year we always decorate the house and have lots of ghouls and goblins everywhere but the best part is when my brother dresses as Jason from Friday the 13th.We partially bury him (mostly with straw) next to the porch and he raises up and scares the Trick or Treaters!
If I had one of those awesome cameras , I could take a picture of the children as  he jumps out and be actually able to see the photo clearly ! Then for the children whose parents are with them, I could offer to give them a photo of their child (for free of course! I mean heck prints don't cost much at all, but the memories will last a lifetime!!)! If the parents want a photo of their childs scary Halloween moment they could let me know and I'd mail it to them. It would be a nice memory for the parents and the children ! That would be so awesome!!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 05:50:24 PM by Michael M. »

Michael M.

• Typologist
    • X10 Community

I had the opportunity to check in With Dave x10 L, to see how he was enjoying his Sentinel prize from the last contest giveaway and here's what he had to say:

I just received my Sentinel Camera yesterday and only got to do a little testing with it last night.

Although I have been using security cameras (of various brands, including X10) for over a year, I felt like a newbie. This camera is in a class of it's own! Totally awesome optics, with a quick and pin-point accurate pan, tilt, and ZOOM (and I do mean ZOOM). I don't recall reading about the auto and manual focus anywhere so that was a nice surprise too. The quality of the video is equal to the type of video camera used to take home movies.

Setup is FAST easy and straight forward, the manual was clearly written and easy to understand. It didn't seem technocal at all. I am totally impressed with the Sentinel.

I use several cameras in my setup now, but I could easily replace most of them with this one camera... AND get better results. I could have saved considerable time money and hassle if I would have went top-of-the-line at the beginning. I have often read of people wanting to identify trespassers or read automobile license plates with a security camera. This is the camera for those difficult tasks.

Keep those posts coming in folks!  We're going to give another Sentinel away to someone!  And maybe, just maybe, it might be you?

Juli

Entry #010

It"s the first time in my life I try the X10 color instant on Cams with Ninja Pan &Tilt and the Vanguard software.
I have to confess I was kind of sceptically sure they were of limited use.Since I  have a frontal view on the street at home I installed one in front of the bay-window.
I live in Montreal and had to travel oversea for a week.At my big surprise,the Cams not only have a tremendous view and zoom over the Net.But I also could get almost  perfects snapshots of the street up to 100 feet from my window.
When I came back I also program one Cam to view who is on my front door and tilt down  toward a big message on a paper over the table (also close to the window and door )which says I"ll be back in few hours :-when I'm working with my PC and visitors are on the Grey  Zone.
I love them ;)

« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 05:50:44 PM by Michael M. »

metkit

Entry #011

We have a halloween party every year. This year we are going to try using x-10 componets. First off we are going to have a haunted house in the back yard. We are setting up a table saw with a butcher behind it that will be motion activated. when the saw comes on we also have strobe lights come on and a fountain pump to shoot blood at the clear plastic wall that the guest will be behind that will look like he is cutting up a body. The blood will shoot out of the table saw. We also have flying ghost that will come out from behind a black plastic curtain and fly towards the people. We then have a mist system that will be running and a fan will turn on to blow the mist at them at the same time the blood is shooting. We have a black plastic tunnel that people will walk through and when they get 1/4 of the way in a discoball will turn on and put multicolored lights all through the tunnel. We are also doing a grave yard scene that will have many animated creatures in it. We are setting up a camera with a projector shooting onto a 10' screen so all the guests will be able to see what is going on. It is set up so you have to go in all of this before you see the screen. So far all x-10 items are working perfect.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 05:51:01 PM by Michael M. »

stever

Entry #012

I have been using 6 of the Vanguards ever since they first were released. They have worked flawlessly for years and the price/quality is still unmatched! I decided to use them indoors which may be overkill, but it's features provide much wider coverage with an unparalleled zoom, low light and picture quality. They are great for Nanny cams and their mere sight keeps strangers, workman etc. on notice. If I could, I would replace them all with Sentinals for their superior features over Vanguards. I monitor every room in our house with the ability to zoom to the smallest details.I have it setup with ,motion triggers that Will automatically turn on the lights in the room (including the garage) of the camera,sends me emails and records for as long as motion is sensed. They then pan from room to room seeing what they can and records all. A motion trip in another room automatically redirect the scan to that camera.  I have been an x-10 customer for almost 18 years and their products are the best value...period. I have compared tons of other cameras costing more than double and they are still unmatched! I really need two to 4 Sentinels and hope to win this one for my front door and then put them in my rear door, over the garage and in our side yard patio for 100% coverage. I wish x-10 made window stickers and yard signs which are proven to be the greatest detriments. Alarms systems can be defeated, accidentally not turned on etc. Cameras scare would be intruders more than alarms, but the two together will scare off almost everyone!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 05:51:20 PM by Michael M. »
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.