Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Does it matter which transciever I use?  (Read 4239 times)

OFG

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Does it matter which transciever I use?
« on: September 25, 2007, 08:18:27 PM »

Newbie here, looking for a link or some direction.

I have several years experience in industrial controls, but I am brand new to the X10 scene.

I want to control a floor lamp from a switch on a solid brick wall.

I have a SS13A for the switch and an AM466 for the wall receptacle.

I have been reading the specs, and I believe I need either a RR501 or a TM751 transciever.
In looking at their dox, I have not been able to determine which one I should use -
I may be missing the obvious, after a lot of reading my bifocals are getting fuzzy!

Any recomendations or links where I should research this more?
Thanks in advance -

OFG  (OldFatGuy)

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: Does it matter which transciever I use?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 08:25:32 PM »

Welcome to the forum OFG.

The TM751 & the RR501 will both work for what you want to do. The RR501 is a polite transceiver; meaning if it detects an X10 signal on the line it will not send a signal and cause a collision... the TM751 doesn't do this check, it just sends. For a single switch and lamp module, this would not be an issue.

The built in appliance module of the TM751 is fixed at Unit Code 1; the RR501 gives you 2 choices via a switch.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 08:54:28 PM by Puck »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 07:05:58 AM »

One more point. The TM751 does not have a  power line receiver. So in addition to the not being polite as mentioned. It also can not be turned on or off by a powerline signal. Only an RF signal.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 06:58:00 AM by Brian H »

OFG

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 08:36:30 PM »

OK, I never was one to know when to quit. :)

I want the extra flexibility of the RR501's even tho they cost a couple more bucks each.

I think I will add two ceiling fans in the same room. 
Since I have 2 more unused buttons on the SS13A panel, I am covered there.

Both ceiling fans are controlled from their individual chains (no wall switches) so it sounds like I need (2) XPFM's to install inside the ceiling electrical boxes.

I want redunancy and a control panel that does not depend on batteries, so I am getting 1 MC460.

If they are not on the same 120V leg, is the Plug-In phase coupler the best way to go?
My dryer receptacle looks like the 4816B2.  Should I go ahead and get it, or wait and see if I need it or not?

I realize my questions are pretty basic, but I really appreciate the knowlegable assistance.

Comments invited - thanks in advance -

OFG 

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 10:46:46 PM »

OFG: The phase coupler is always a recommended; you are bound to end up crossing phases, especially if you plan on continually added on over time. One other issue you are bound to run into as well is noise generators & signal suckers. If you are just controlling a few modules, chances are you will be able to move any problems items or X10 modules to another circuit. X10 filters are good to have on hand for solving these types of problems, but you may want to wait on these until you see if you do need them.

TakeTheActive has some good informative links here that you might want to read up on while waiting for your modules.

MAP / MEASURE / CORRECT

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 12:33:16 PM »

Newbie here, looking for a link or some direction.

...I may be missing the obvious, after a lot of reading my bifocals are getting fuzzy!

...OFG  (OldFatGuy)

Welcome to the forums!

IMO, Old Fat Guys with bifocals fit right in with the X10 crowd (looking in the mirror :o ). If you're also working through your 2ND Half Century, welcome "Oldtimer". ;D

...I have been reading the specs, and I believe I need either a RR501 or a TM751 transciever.
In looking at their dox, I have not been able to determine which one I should use

Unless your X10 aspirations are the absolute minimum, I would avoid the TM751 and go with either a CM11A/RR501 combo, OR (if you have *PLENTY* of spare time on your hands and enjoy puzzles) a CM15A (an advanced CM11A with a built-in WHOLE HOUSE RR501 with *BUGS* :( - Read my "WAF" CM15A post from ~ August 2006).

I have several years experience in industrial controls, but I am brand new to the X10 scene.

...Any recomendations or links where I should research this more?

As a "Technical-Kinda-Guy", you should enjoy Uncle Phil's Article Series, followed by JeffVolp's Tutorials:

• Don't expect ANYTHING to work the first time (be pleasantly surprised if it does).

• Identify all of your Signal Suckers and Noise Generators while you're Mapping your Circuits.

• As soon as you realize that you're "addicted" to this stuff, pick up an ELK ESM1 Signal Strength Meter and a few Filters.

• Have fun! ;)
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

OFG

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 03:18:29 PM »

OK, the stuff is here and I have a minor start.

I installed an MC460 and an AM486 on the PA amp at our church, where we had been walking across the sanctuary from the sound board to turn it on.
Works great.  Lucky first time.  (There is no other remote anything in the building, so there was no addressing issue).

I installed the same on a lamp at home just to test the equipment, that worked also.

I have not tried the XPFM yet, we are leaving tomorrow for two weeks in San Diego and the Grand Canyon (we are from Ohio so that is a big deal) and I will have to recover from vacation before I try the next step.

Thanks to everyone for the info and the links, it has been extremely helpful!

OFG

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.