Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Timer Question  (Read 2122 times)

jissa

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Timer Question
« on: October 08, 2007, 02:37:33 AM »

Hi I am new to this forum and I have a simple AHP setup. My setup consists of a CM15A and a couple of light switches. I have a timer that I only activate when I am on vacation where the lights go on and off at a specific time. Normally, I manually turn this timer on when I go on vacation and turn it off when I get back. What I am trying to do is find a way to be able to turn the timer on or off without having to connect the CM15A to the computer.

I was wondering if it is possible to setup a macro that I can use the remote to activate the macro which in turn enables the timer and another macro that disables the timer. I currently only have the AHP but none of the extra plugins so I do not have the smart macro package but if that package allows me to do that I might buy it.

Thank you for all your help.

jissa

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
Re: Timer Question
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 08:52:40 AM »

Without the conditional macro option, you could set up the timer events to only happen on specific days.  These are what AHP calls "holidays".    There is a option that allows you to change these to any days you want, including your planned vacation days.  They don't need to be, at all, only legal holidays.

However, if you want to get the conditional macro option, you could use "flags".  You would set up one of the flags to mean "I am on vacation".   You could set up a conditional macro, that would test for "I am on vacation" to be true, and only then turn lights 'on' and 'off'.  You would then set up this macro to be triggered on a timer.

Also, you would need to set up a pair of macros that would either SET or RESET the "I am on vacation" flag.    You would just need to remember to execute that macro.  ::)

I, myself, use the flag method.   However, I always seem to think of running the "I am on vacation" flag setting macro when I am at the airport.  I, then, call up one of my friends who has X10, and ask them to drive over to my house with a manual controller, plug into an outside outlet, and do a F10 'on'.   :D
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 11:23:17 AM »

I was wondering if it is possible to setup a macro that I can use the remote to activate the macro which in turn enables the timer and another macro that disables the timer. I currently only have the AHP but none of the extra plugins so I do not have the smart macro package but if that package allows me to do that I might buy it.

1st - Instead of buying JUST the software... buy a entirely new AHP with software suite.... the price is the same.

I would do the "vacation macro" a little differently than Walt2. I would simply create the macro to be a conditional.

The condition would be if this is ON - then run that. The "this" would be a light... and the light would need to be on a MONITORED house code. You could use an actual light.. though it could also be a "pretend, phantom or ghost" module. I think I would use a night light plugged into and appliance module. That way it could be turned on with a remote, and you could see it was on.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 11:51:28 AM »

I basically use Walt's approach. To start with I have a Vacation macro that turns on and dims various lights with the "Security" option checked to randomize when lights are activated. To start and stop vacation mode I use macros that trigger on "F5 ON" and "F5 OFF" to set and clear vacation flags respectively. I also have a reset macro that clears and resets lights and other appliances to their "normal" mode. I include a reset to the vacation flag in that macro as well.

I generally set the vacation flag on a day or so before I leave but not having someone I can call and have come over and set the flag, I just I added it to the items that I can control with my phone controller.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 12:18:31 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.