Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X-10 and remote car start  (Read 10986 times)

Bell

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X-10 and remote car start
« on: October 16, 2007, 07:58:15 PM »

Hey fellow x-10 members, dont you think life would be better if x-10 and remote car starter go together, I mean
think of this your x-10 cams keeps your cars safe, how about if your active home pro can start your car on those
super cold mornings before you take the kids to school? my x-10 cams are on my cars 24 hours a day, but in the
morning I have to pick-up my remote, to start the van to take my kids to school, but if x-10 had there remote
start control by activehome pro those days would be over, because activehome pro would start my car on those
super, chilling, cold mornings................

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: X-10 and remote car start
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 10:16:09 PM »

If you have a spare car starter remote you don't mind sacrificing and some patience and soldering skills, you could use a UM506 module to receive an X10 power line signal and short the contacts on the car starter remote!   8)

One drawback... it would then take only a single X10 powerline command to start your car when it is parked close enough to your home!   ::)
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 10:56:57 PM »

...One drawback... it would then take only a single X10 powerline command to start your car when it is parked close enough to your home!
Do remote starters have a lockout to keep them from trying to start a car if it is already running? If not, another thing to worry about is if a 2nd start signal was triggered by X10.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 11:00:51 PM »

...One drawback... it would then take only a single X10 powerline command to start your car when it is parked close enough to your home!
Do remote starters have a lockout to keep them from trying to start a car if it is already running? If not, another thing to worry about is if a 2nd start signal was triggered by X10.

Good point!

While I would assume most "good" ones do... that is definitely something to check out with your particular starter unit!   ;)
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 12:06:54 PM »

My $50 Wal-Mart special does. It is one of the least expensive Bulldog unit and is surprisingly sophisticated for the price.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Boiler

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 12:38:06 PM »

Most of the newer cars (US anyway) come with the remote start feature already installed (de-activated).  It's cheaper for the manufacturers to install the system on all of the vehicles and enable it on the units that have the proper check mark in the option box.

In order to enable the system you need a properly coded transmitter and the function "enabled" on the Engine Control Unit.

'03 and newer GM vehicles - tap the ignition key and the Engine Control Unit will continue to crank the engine until it starts or a timeout period is reached.  This is the same function that is utilized for a remote start (the source is RF rather than a contact closure).

Personally, I opt not to use the remote start on my vehicles.  There are way to many failure modes that can creep in at start up (frozen radiator, oil pump failure, etc).  I want to hear what that engine is doing after it starts.

zach1234

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 04:50:08 PM »

I would not do that. Lets say you have a x10 problem that is very common you thne have no GAS and you are screwed.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 07:41:53 PM »

Why not use Bill's idea of a remote hack...
If you have a spare car starter remote you don't mind sacrificing and some patience and soldering skills, you could use a UM506 module to receive an X10 power line signal and short the contacts on the car starter remote! 

Combined with AHP timers, macros, an outside thermostat, and BVC.

When the temperature outside drops to freezing, at a certain time, BVC would be triggered to report the temperature (I use weather aloud). Then ask you if you would like the car started (setting up a confirmation macro). If you said yes... BVC/AHP would then turn your camera (and TV if needed) on, so you could both see and hear your car start.

The camera (and TV) would stay on.... and BVC could reminded you (every few minutes) that the car is running.

The entire thing could be setup in about 10 minutes! (ether X10 or metric minutes).

Edited to repair links. 07/19/08 by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 01:32:27 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 12:21:22 PM »

I would not do that. Lets say you have a x10 problem that is very common you thne have no GAS and you are screwed.

Can't speak to the GM remote start system that Boiler is discussing, but the $50 Bulldog Remote Starter (posted above) has a 15 minute time out, which is programable. If the ignition is not switched ON within 15 minutes of the remote starting, the engine is stopped.

A second remote could easily be hacked so Bills idea of the Universal module applying a momentary closure across the Remote starter switch contacts would work great on the Bulldog system I have.

Bill H

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 06:04:01 PM »

Every once in a while a light comes on or a drape closes or a camera switches off in my house. Am I alone or should a warning of the car starting all by itself at some time of the day or night be brought up?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 07:56:23 PM »

Every once in a while a light comes on or a drape closes or a camera switches off in my house. Am I alone or should a warning of the car starting all by itself at some time of the day or night be brought up?

That's why I mentioned the confirmation macro:

(setting up a confirmation macro).

I thought the idea of using 2 modules, on two codes, (one of which may not transceived).... was a standard idea/practice for securing X10.

Edited to repair links. 07/19/08 by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 01:35:30 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Bill H

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 08:52:39 AM »

Oops, sorry Dave. Missed that.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 07:23:51 PM »

MY 2 cents!

I have used Dave X10's "two module safety" for a long time. (opening garage with X10, turning on old 120V firehouse siren for security alarm with X10 [you did NOT want that baby coming on accidently] , security autodialer with X10, etc)

I have never had a false trigger using two modules. Make sure your macro turns the modules ON and OFF in the proper order, and periodically check your number one module in the sequence to make sure it isn't sticking (Also, I always sent redundant OFFs just to be sure).

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.