Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WS4777 4 Way Switch Problems  (Read 27298 times)

3ric

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
WS4777 4 Way Switch Problems
« on: October 21, 2007, 12:14:34 AM »

I have a light that is controlled by four different light switches. I bought a WS4777 and three companion switches. I installed the WS4777 and got it to work fine. I then installed one of the companion switches and got that switch to work. The problem that I'm running into is that I cannot get the two other companion switches to work. I have them both wired in and the master switch and the first companion switch still work, but the last two companion switches don't work at all. The way I was hoping the wiring to be was that all four of the switches were on the same line leading to the light. But, the way I believe it to be is that the first two switches (the ones I wired first) are on one side and the second two switches are on the other side of the light, with the light being in the middle. I saw a diagram of this on a website listing different 4 way switch diagrams. My question is this: how can I wire the last two companion switches to work? Or is there something else that I have to do to get everything to work correctly? I will answer any questions in the best way I possibly can. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
Re: WS4777 4 Way Switch Problems
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 09:06:38 AM »

Do you have the means to test for voltage in your wiring such as a meter or neon bulb line tester? A meter, even a cheap one would be best. The companion switches are simple push buttons and you need to be sure that there is "power" (leakage or regular) going to them so they'll work.  Let us know and we'll move on to the next step.  If you don't have the means of testing for power I'm not sure how we're going to help you.
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

Boiler

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 12:32:22 PM »

... The way I was hoping the wiring to be was that all four of the switches were on the same line leading to the light. But, the way I believe it to be is that the first two switches (the ones I wired first) are on one side and the second two switches are on the other side of the light, with the light being in the middle. I saw a diagram of this on a website listing different 4 way switch diagrams. My question is this: how can I wire the last two companion switches to work? Or is there something else that I have to do to get everything to work correctly? I will answer any questions in the best way I possibly can. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

3ric,
Electrically speaking, the lamp can't be wired in the middle of your switch circuit.  There are many ways of bringing power into the switch circuit and different ways of routing the wires.  This is what many of the Web resources are trying to describe (power entering through the light fixture, etc.).  These are practical considerations when performing the initial wiring of the circuit.

While the practical diagram deal with wire routing, number of conductors and such, the electrical diagram for the circuit is far simpler.  Your mechanical switch installation should comply with circuit #3 in the attached regardless of where power enters your installation.

Rules for multiway mechanical switch installs:
  • Unswitched power (from your electrical panel) will connect to one of the 3-way switches
  • Switched power will be delivered to the load from the second 3-way switch.

Hopefully this will allow you to draw a diagram of your original installation.  With that in hand, you should be able to determine the problem with your WS4777 install.

As Oldtimer was indicating, you'll need a meter to determine which 3way is receiving uninterrupted power from your electrical panel.  The second 3way will then be the switch delivering power to the lamp. 

When installing the WS4777 and slaves you will may need to "re-identify" some of the existing traveler wires.  If you find yourself needing to use a white (neutral) wire for a hot connection, re-identify it with a marker or appropriate color electrical tape.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 01:36:37 PM »

They say a picture is worth a 1000 words. That proves it.

Great diagram Boiler!
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 02:27:28 PM »

They say a picture is worth a 1000 words. That proves it.

Great diagram Boiler!

I concur... nicely done and very easy to follow and understand.

3ric

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 03:23:40 PM »

I'm going to pick up a voltage meter today and will post my results. I do believe that I have the master switch wired to the three way that comes from the panel. I believe that I understand some of what Boiler is saying and the diagram was a great help. Thanks for the help and the replies.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 04:12:47 PM »

I'm going to pick up a voltage meter today and will post my results. I do believe that I have the master switch wired to the three way that comes from the panel. I believe that I understand some of what Boiler is saying and the diagram was a great help. Thanks for the help and the replies.
Grab a tester while you're at the store. They're cheap and can tell you what you need to know faster sometimes.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 04:15:13 PM by steven r »
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 05:16:31 PM »

3ric

You need to find your 4-way switch and it will be in the middle.
Using Boiler's diagram and the "4-way wiring" diagram for the x10 web site should get you running
http://www.x10.com/support/support_manuals.htm
The "4-way wiring.pdf " shows how to wire the companion switches.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

3ric

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 06:36:05 PM »

Thanks for everyone's help! I got it working. I bought a voltage meter and that helped out a ton. Also, Boiler's diagram helped was great. I had the first two switches wired incorrectly. I fixed those two switches and wired the other two down the chain as described in the diagram and every switch is working. Thanks again. Boy, am I glad that this forum exists. I don't think I would have figured it out otherwise.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 06:49:59 PM »

Ok with problem resolved, I'll compliment you on your diagram again. What software do you use to draw?

Boiler

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 08:10:26 PM »

Thanks for everyone's help! I got it working. I bought a voltage meter and that helped out a ton. Also, Boiler's diagram helped was great. I had the first two switches wired incorrectly. I fixed those two switches and wired the other two down the chain as described in the diagram and every switch is working. Thanks again. Boy, am I glad that this forum exists. I don't think I would have figured it out otherwise.

3ric,
A 4-way install is definitely diving into the deep end of the poor in terms of a X10 install (lot's of wires and color codes to contend with). 

Congrats on successfully troubleshooting this problem. 

Ok with problem resolved, I'll compliment you on your diagram again. What software do you use to draw?

steven r,
Touche - the software used was Microsoft Excel (latest version - I think it's the Vista compatible).

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of this latest version (I'd give you the actual version, but there doesn't appear to be a "help/about" menu item).  Being an oldtimer, I'm accustomed to doing things from the keyboard.  This new version seems to be entirely point and click oriented (none of my previous keyboard shortcuts work). 

It does have nice graphics capabilities.  I suppose it's just another in a long line of learning experiences as technology progresses.

Boiler

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.