Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My story - Some advise for a noob please~!  (Read 19395 times)

azmp1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
My story - Some advise for a noob please~!
« on: November 01, 2007, 06:22:28 PM »

Hi all,
Just found this forum and have been reading for most of the day. Wealth of info here!

Anyway, I've been looking to setup a decent wireless CCTV system for a while now and had not much success (though quite truthfully haven't really spent that much time researching).
So I would really appreciate some advice.

Here's what already have: 4 port (expandable) DVR card in W2K3 server with PY Software's Active Webcam. Server is located in the basement.

Here's what I'm trying to do: 4 wireless cams (to start) throughout my house ranging from first to second floor with good enough quality (not looking for perfect quality) to monitor kids and the nanny during the day, and ofcourse for some additional security. Note: Camera receiver(s) would all be located in the basement next to the DVR server.

Now that said, I've tried few wireless cams off eBay (i know, i know) and as expected they turned out to be POS. After searching around and relay not finding much (other then cheap POS cams or mega $$$ pro stuff) i stumbled upon the X10 website, the prices for the cams look manageable and the name speaks for itself. Plus i love the 30 day return policy.
So after looking around i figured 2 wide lens and 2 regular cams will do the trick for me, but i do have concerns.
So here goes.
1.  Which models are better/worse and what is the overall quality of the x10 cams and a typical range i can get through walls/floors (i have a 3k sq/f home, drywall, no brick or shielding)?
2. I see that x10 cams are CMOS cams and not CCD, is this a problem? I read that CMOS cams are not that great.
3. From what i can tell each cam comes with its own receiver, correct? Or i can get one receiver for all 4 cams? How many channels does each receiver has? Are there better/worse receivers?
4. All my wireless phones are 5.8ghz, so they shouldn't cause a problem, HOWEVER, my biggest concern is my wireless LAN. I have 802.11B/G with access point in the basement and repeaters on each floor. I'm not planning to go 802.11A so how much of a problem do i have here? Can anything be done (other then getting rid of my WLAN)?
5. Are there some specific setup tips/caveats you guys can give me?

I think this just about covers it, sorry for the long post, looking forward to some expert advice!
Thanks

Alex

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: My story - Some advise for a noob please~!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 06:43:51 PM »

1.  Which models are better/worse and what is the overall quality of the x10 cams and a typical range i can get through walls/floors (i have a 3k sq/f home, drywall, no brick or shielding)?

The quality of the X10 cams are as good as any of the other comparatively priced cameras I've seen. And the X10 cams are tough little work horses.

2. I see that x10 cams are CMOS cams and not CCD, is this a problem? I read that CMOS cams are not that great.

CCD is generally better than CMOS.... but indoors.. at that kind of range, it shouldn't make much difference.

3. From what i can tell each cam comes with its own receiver, correct? Or i can get one receiver for all 4 cams? How many channels does each receiver has? Are there better/worse receivers?

Generally... it is one receiver per camera "package deal". One receiver can handle several cams. The cameras are switched on and off to allow the viewer to select the view.

4. All my wireless phones are 5.8ghz, so they shouldn't cause a problem, HOWEVER, my biggest concern is my wireless LAN. I have 802.11B/G with access point in the basement and repeaters on each floor. I'm not planning to go 802.11A so how much of a problem do i have here? Can anything be done (other then getting rid of my WLAN)?

I run a wireless LAN, 2.4ghz phones, and wireless cameras and receivers. It's not that hard to do.

5. Are there some specific setup tips/caveats you guys can give me?

Start with a one camera deal... maybe a wide-eye with a ninja mount. There is a learning curve to cameras. I think some users get over-whelmed when they jump into cameras big-time right out of the gate.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 06:51:49 PM »

First welcome to the forum here! You should get several replies with more information than I have to offer.

...2. I see that x10 cams are CMOS cams and not CCD, is this a problem?...
The state of the art X10 sentinel camera is CCD and can be wireless or hard wired. Due to it's ability to pan to view up to 330 degrees, it can often replace 2 or more regular cameras.

...4. All my wireless phones are 5.8ghz, so they shouldn't cause a problem, HOWEVER, my biggest concern is my wireless LAN. I have 802.11B/G...
I currently have 2 floodlight cams on opposite sides of the house. My computer with it's 2.4GHz router is about 3 feet from the receiver. By playing with the specific frequencies of my cameras and the router, I've minimized interference but I still have some. My main problem is that having the 2 cameras in opposite directions from the receiver it's impossible to point the receiving antenna as they put it "...so that this side is facing... ...[both] cameras". I plan to hard wire the Sentinel when I get it.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 08:11:50 PM »

Here's what already have: 4 port (expandable) DVR card in W2K3 server with PY Software's Active Webcam. Server is located in the basement.

If you are planning on 4 simultaneous active cameras (one on each port), wireless cameras will likely be a challenge to get working together without interfering with each other. You would need 4 receivers each set to a difference channel. I don't know how well that will work out; plus you have a wireless network in the mix.

If you want 4 cameras on at all times, you might want to consider wired.

Also be aware that not all 5.8GHz phones are created equal. Some are advertised as being that frequency, but what they don't say is that is just one direction, the other direction is at 2.4GHz. The user manual should mention it in the specifications section.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 08:25:53 PM »

...Also be aware that not all 5.8GHz phones are created equal. Some are advertised as being that frequency, but what they don't say is that is just one direction, the other direction is at 2.4GHz....
Panasonic use to to be one of the worst offenders. Now most of their 5.8Ghz phones say "WiFI friendly". i.e. 5.8GHz both directions.
Never have seen Uniden do a split frequency with their 5.8GHz phones, however.
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 09:18:30 PM »

We just bought new wireless phones as our old one died.  The new one is a Uniden 6.0 and X10 operates like it's not even there.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 09:43:12 PM »

The new one is a Uniden 6.0

I've lusted after the 6.0 digital phones!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 01:06:01 AM »

I've lusted after the 6.0 digital phones!
Me too. Some day when my 2.4GHz ones die or I get sick of them, I'm getting DECT 6.0 phones, most likely Uniden.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.