Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is there a user Paradigm shift  (Read 5173 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Is there a user Paradigm shift
« on: November 01, 2007, 02:09:32 PM »

It seems to me there has been a shift in usership of X10. A Paradigm shift in the expectations of the technology.

Maybe it's just my perspective, I have no stats to back this up. But it seems to me, people used to come to the forum to find info for setting up simple system. And now... more people come with full expections of complete home automation. Generally they also seem to come with cash-in-hand and a desire and willingness to make there systems state of the art.

It's all good. It just makes me think maybe Home Automation has come of age... and is on the verge of being mainstream.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

Saber Dog

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Is there a user Paradigm shift
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 08:47:10 PM »

I can only spreak for myself, but I think you have a point. When I first used X-10 in was in the mid 1970's, I had a Commodore 64, and I thought it was really cool to turn lights and a fan on & off using it. Now I have internet access and want to monitor a house when I'm not there with cameras. That is a long leap. I'm still having problems with the internet camera thing (can't get a picture), but the point is that I expect to get it to work.

John026

• "Somebody grab the sawsall"
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 03:19:16 PM »

That seems like such a big question with so many factors to determine its outcome. Its a great question and in my mind a complex one due to the "players" involved. It's hard to believe that 2007 is nearing it's end and 2008 is just around the corner and as the main people of home automation and all it's compatible products looks back to analyze the progress and or bring HA to the masses I have one question for them, What is your motivation? The industry is ripe for the picking. The information on how it works is available. All obstacles can be worked around (for the average Joe the obstacles are small anyway). So what is it. Whats your main reason for being in this industry. My main audience hopefully is the industry as a whole, Who will rise to the top and have a clear picture of the industry , If the weak fall off so be it, The industry is intended for us, the paradigm shift will come. Home automation in my mind will be main stream at some point. The road is plowed, people are using it, but every person that goes down the road is hitting the same potholes that the guy in front of him hit. In 2008 it will be hard to believe that a person who uses the road will have to hit the same old potholes. Somebody will force the paradigm shift and blow the lid off Home Automation.

Its a hard question to ask, It maybe harder to answer.

John

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 05:13:04 PM »

.............................. In 2008 it will be hard to believe that a person who uses the road will have to hit the same old potholes. Somebody will force the paradigm shift and blow the lid off Home Automation.

Your right.... but there are new technologies (ZigBee) with the promise of filling technical potholes.

But.. what confuses me (the most) is as nearly everyone is filling their homes with wifi networks, remote controlled fans, wireless speaker systems, and various versions of home theaters..... X10 is no-longer available at ANY local stores.

Yet it seems I see people come to the forums not looking to turn on a few lamps, but to totally automate their entire home. Is this the digital divide?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 06:14:59 PM »

Yes I was happy when I started with X10 and Automation. To just turn on and off some lights. By today's automation standards; I am in the Automation Stone Age ::)

John026

• "Somebody grab the sawsall"
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 06:22:17 PM »

I Knew this subject was a can of worms when I first saw it!!! To be honest I wanted to stay away from it, and found myself coming back to look at it. To stay "on topic" I must say that the everyday user is probally not going to be what brings home automation into the main stream but rather what goes on behind closed doors. The user is really the consumer of the product. The basic proprietary technology as I understand it is no longer hindered by the incubation period of copywrite laws. Its a free for all. Not to say that a better way can't be proprietary, (or that current technology will be the platform), who knows!! But one thing for certain is that home automation is coming to the masses, and nobody is going to be able to stop it. Dave consider yourself a pioneer!! Home automation is bigger than you or me. It's interesting to look at a technology that has been around for awhile now (to be honest) and realize it's still in it's infant stage!! If I were one of the persons behind the closed doors I'm sure I'd be so excited right now, and if I wasn't excited I would get the person who was!!!!!!!!!

Great topic Dave the rest of the iceberg is underwater.

John

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 10:03:37 PM »

But one thing for certain is that home automation is coming to the masses, and nobody is going to be able to stop it. Dave consider yourself a pioneer!!

I have wondered... are my grandkids going to remember.... that I controlled things by voice, and that was interesting. Or will that be the "new normal"?

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 10:07:32 PM »

I have wondered... are my grandkids going to remember.... that I controlled things by voice, and that was interesting. Or will that be the "new normal"?
Yeah they'll say something like "You mean you had to actually say some ting to make it work, Grandpa."  ;)
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.