Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HELP. Desperate senior  (Read 10327 times)

papapaul

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
HELP. Desperate senior
« on: November 08, 2007, 06:37:11 PM »

I am using a X10 Minitimer for 4 years. Everything (10+) modules working well. I was looking forward to use AHP for better, centralized control of my appliances.

2 months ago I received the package. SInce then, I spent hours plugging and unplugging, loading et erasing the software, calling X10 pro. Trying all sort of test and... AHP still do not work. No control of my modules.

I am now giving up. It is my last call. Do one of you have a plan of the last things I should try before putting my CM15A in the garbage can...

Thanks.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: HELP. Desperate senior
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 07:18:45 PM »

Sorry about the problems you've had so far. You've come to the right place for answers. I'll start things off with the basics.
Other than equipment failure, signal problems fall into 1 or more of these categories.

• Phase problem -  most often solved by a phase coupler
  • Noise problems -  most often solved by filters
  • "Signal sucker" problems -  most often solved by filters and/or signal boosters

Knowing that is the easy part. Figuring out which of those is your problem requires some step by step tests and at times a lot of patiences. Searching this forum will give you more information on all of those "challenges".

The first quick test I suggest you try is to unplug your CM15A (the box that AHP software downloads to) and plug your minitimer in it's place. See if the minitimer works from that outlet. Then download a timed event to the CM15A and try plugging it in the same outlet where the module is for which you've set the time.

Let us know the results of those tests and some of the experts here can give you more ideas from there.

X10 can be challenging at times but it is hands down the best home automation value for the money!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 07:21:51 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

papapaul

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 07:33:48 PM »

The first quick test I suggest you try is to unplug your CM15A (the box that AHP software downloads to) and plug your minitimer in it's place. See if the minitimer works from that outlet

This part does not work. My minitimer PHT02 do not control my ligts.

papapaul

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 08:12:01 PM »

The first quick test I suggest you try is to unplug your CM15A (the box that AHP software downloads to) and plug your minitimer in it's place. See if the minitimer works from that outlet. Then download a timed event to the CM15A and try plugging it in the same outlet where the module is for which you've set the time

Steve

I did the test:
- the Mini did not work on the plug whre my AHP interface was plugged and not working
- I set up a timed event on the interface and moved the CM15A interface to the plug the mini was working. The timed event did not worked.

And now...

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 09:03:01 PM »

Do one of you have a plan of the last things I should try before putting my CM15A in the garbage can...

Hang in there! AHP works... and it's all good when it does. This could be a minor little problem (or slightly larger than little). As much info as you can give us about your setup and tests you've already conducted might be helpful.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Saber Dog

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 09:08:35 PM »

Have you tried controlling the modules from the computer? I like to make sure they work that way first.

Did you download the info to the interface? Seems silly, but I made that mistake. I confused saving the info and sending it to the interface.

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 09:16:30 PM »

.............. I confused saving the info and sending it to the interface.

I also made the same or similar mistake. I had been using AHP for a few weeks at the time... wrote a new marco... uploaded and it would NOT work. It sounds silly, but I had simply forgot to save the file.

papapaul

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 10:10:26 PM »

Have you tried controlling the modules from the computer? I like to make sure they work that way first.

Did you download the info to the interface? Seems silly, but I made that mistake. I confused saving the info and sending it to the interface.

I have no control of the modules from the computer.    AND GOOD NEWS... I dowloaded to the interface (more than saving!) and it worked... on the plus that my mini timer was working. I conclude that the system AHP (at least for one module) is operating. Now, how does it not work  on the plug next to my computer and reachable by my USB?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 10:27:00 PM by papapaul »

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 10:59:07 PM »

........GOOD NEWS... I dowloaded to the interface (more than saving!) and it worked... on the plus that my mini timer was working. I conclude that the system AHP (at least for one module) is operating. Now, how does it not work  on the plug next to my computer and reachable by my USB?

I use a USB extention on my AHP, and an extendion cord to the CM15A.

s0urc3f0ur

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 11:22:15 PM »

it sounds as if this is a phase problem. ... you could purchase one of these  fromhttp://www.smarthome.com/4816b2.html or http://www.smarthome.com/4816a2.html depending on what dryer type you have.. that and a noise filter( plugged in where your computer plugs in) should help to solve your problem better.. at least it did for me
X10 has brought me closer to my inner geek! But it has aslo made my wife look at me funny!

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 08:58:16 PM »

There's also a cheap way to bridge the phases if you have an electric stove:  you can get a 0.1 uF 250 VAC Capacitor at an electronics store and mount it in the electrical box the stove is plugged into.  The capacitor is mounted across the conductors, it draws no power and bridges the phases for X10 signals.  I put one in my stove's box 20 years ago and it's still bridging my phases.  X10 works anywhere in my house I need it.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Boiler

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 01:11:30 AM »

I have no control of the modules from the computer.    AND GOOD NEWS... I dowloaded to the interface (more than saving!) and it worked... on the plus that my mini timer was working. I conclude that the system AHP (at least for one module) is operating. Now, how does it not work  on the plug next to my computer and reachable by my USB?

papapaul,
Congratulations - it may not feel like it, but you have made progress.

Your minitimer, CM15a interface, and your modules work from a given outlet.  They do not work from the outlet next to your computer.  Now we need to figure out the differences between the locations.

As has been suggested, a phase coupler may indeed solve your problem.  This implies that the "good" outlet is on the same phase as your X10 modules and the "bad" outlet is on the opposite.  Unfortunately, I don't think we know enough yet to make that conclusion. 

You've had 10+ modules working with your minitimer for four years.  It's possible that all of these units and your minitimer were on the same electrical phase which allowed them all to function (I've never had that kind of luck). 

It's also possible (in my mind more likely) that your "bad" outlet is near a noise or signal absorption source (your computer for instance).

If you are willing to invest some time mapping out the circuits in your house, we should be able to arrive at the correct solution for this problem.  This will also pay dividends down the road (decreased hair loss) the next time you have a problem.  Yes, if you use X10 long enough, there is always a next time.

Have a look at the following links-
Circuit Mapping and Electrical Phase Mapping-This will allow you to determine which electrical phases you modules and mintimer/AHP interface are on: Map Your Electrical Circuits
Troubleshooting - Since you probably do not have a signal tester, you will need to simply unplug possible noise generators/signal absorbers to test for interference.  The following gives instructions on how to isolate things with a meter (still useful):MAP / MEASURE / CORRECT

The diagram below is from one of my electrical sub panels.  It shows phases A and B.  It shows breakers 1 and 2 (opposite sides of the panel) as being connected to phase A.  Breakers 1 and 3 are on opposite phases.

You could start by simply unplugging your computer, and any other devices on the same circuit as your "bad" outlet, and trying to operate your units with the minitimer. 

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 11:21:58 AM »

A fine (and very HELPFUL) post Boiler.

papapaul

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 05:46:59 PM »

THANK YOU SO MUCH so far...

- I did not DOWNLOADED to the interface - i confused save and download. This may have been a problem
- now all (except one) modules work with AHP when it is plug to the same outlet that the minitimer was working

... and I am excited about x-10

Over the few days, i will try to plan my circuit, but the outlet that was not working for both the CM15 interface and the minitimer is the one to wich is plugged 2 bars for my computer...

I keep on with your suggestions and let you know in a few days

:D  ;D

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 06:30:25 PM »

Do you have any X10 filters between the outlet and the surge strip with the computers? Both computers and surge strips can absorb X10 signals and computer power supplies also can make noise on the X10 powerline signals frequency.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.