Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OT: Ideas for replacing refrigerator water & ice dispenser  (Read 17252 times)

DeltaNu1142

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
OT: Ideas for replacing refrigerator water & ice dispenser
« on: November 20, 2007, 12:34:38 PM »

I am in the process of installing a kegerator conversion kit into a spare side-by-side refrigerator.  On the freezer door is a functional ice & water dispenser, and a 120VAC night light with on/off switch.  I do not have water piped to the fridge, nor do I intend to anytime soon, so I'd like to do something creative with this space on the freezer door, something that takes advantage of the available power.

Since this group is chock full of inventive/innovative folks, I thought I'd poll this forum to see if anyone could come up with anything interesting.

Ideas I've had so far:
--lighted beer sign (boring)
--draught beer system cleaning using the water pump (lots of work, and maybe impossible due to removal of other parts for the keg)
--coffee grinder (useless)
--miniature motorized disco ball (hmm)
...?
CM15A with modded antenna - AHP & Smart Macros - IR543 - RR501s - cameras, switches, and sensors oh my!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: OT: Ideas for replacing refrigerator water & ice dispenser
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 03:07:32 PM »

...miniature motorized disco ball...
I like the miniature motorized disco ball but not everyone would want to be that "retro".  :)
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 03:23:30 PM »

How about a touch screen?
Or a small flat pannel display (tv)?
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 11:16:03 AM »

How about a touch screen?
Or a small flat pannel display (tv)?

Along Tuicemen's same idea.... a digital picture frame.... with pictures taken of friends while enjoying the "kegerator".
Home Automation is an always changing technology

DeltaNu1142

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 11:36:55 AM »

Just an update to this...  someone on another forum said, "Wouldn't it be cool if you could just get it to dispense liquor?"  And I thought, "Yes, wouldn't it...?"

So that's what I did.  I realize now (as with a lot of other projects) that there is a much simpler way I could have approached this, but to keep the story short I installed an aquarium pump electrically parallel to the solenoid valve that allows water to flow from the house supply into the refrigerator in a stock setup.  This pump is piped to a liquor reservoir in the freezer, and eventually, the door dispenser.   ;D

Thanks for all of your suggestions!
CM15A with modded antenna - AHP & Smart Macros - IR543 - RR501s - cameras, switches, and sensors oh my!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.