📝Reviews > ActiveHome Pro Reviews

How Not to Automate your home with Active Home Pro and X10 devices...

<< < (2/4) > >>

javawizard2539:
I would like to add my rants to this forum post, as it came up top for a search on "video disconnected", which brings me to my problem...

Whenever I connect using MyHouse Online, I get this stupid "video disconnected" thing printed out in the myhouse status window, and the video doesn't work. Wasted money big-time.

Another rant. I was over at a friend's house, who uses X10 and 2.4GHz cordless phones. Guess what? His cameras have static and lines through them! Perhaps X10 should consider adding some channels out of the 2.4GHz band.

tom j:
partial quote. 

Who thought up the antennae on the Ninja's? What should I do? Rotate the house and the receiver around to maintain perfect alignment with the camera?

That's funny! and I agree.  rofl

Tom j

devedsmith:
BRILLIANT, HRHKEE!!!!!! I have had all of the same problems. Bravo. Yea, so much for "pro" when your electrician won't install it nor will your inspector approve it. I have spent hundreds of dollars on this junk only to find out that it's not code, it's not reliable, and it's not programmable the way they claim.

devedsmith:
Ok, first thought: NEVER, and I mean NEVER use x10 for security. That's just dumb given their YEARS of reliability problems and lack of product/support updates.

Second, they are nothing more than a marketing engine. Having met with them in person they know nothing about their product except how to sell it. Really!

Third, there are much better products on the market for the same price. smarthome.com will tell you that - and they know their product.

Fourth, I have dozens (yes DOZENS) of x10 modules. Only the oldest (Radio Shack, circa 1985) modules work the best. ALL of the newer products have problems or have mind-boggling differences too many to count.

Fifth, the shear volume of product variations make x10 a nightmare to plan, purchase, and configure.

Sixth, they haven't made any significant updates to the ActiveHome Pro application in years. Knowing them, they just aren't interested. And yet, it's an entirely custom application. Every control, button, slider, window, menu, and checkbox has been custom programmed. Talk about a bloated waist of budget on no-talent programmers.

Seventh, their current software doesn't even include all of their product in the interface. Ever tried to add a camera? Suprise!

Eighth, PLC is a novelty. It's that simple and nothing more.

Ninth, x10 is slow. The AcitiveHome Pro application just makes the problem worse with a slow scripting language behind the macros.

Tenth... I could go on and on....and on....

Any thoughts?

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: devedsmith on February 17, 2009, 03:50:40 AM ---Tenth... I could go on and on....and on....

Any thoughts?

--- End quote ---

Yes.. I have some thoughts. Not only did I read your ten "points" in your post... I took the time to read "all ten of your posts". My thoughts are:  You may be an X10 basher. Maybe I am mistaken...  if I am I apologize. But in all ten of your posts I didn't see even once where you sought help with your system... or offered helpful information to anyone else.

Are your rants your way of asking for help? You say you "have dozens (yes DOZENS) of x10 modules" some since 1985. So you just seem to be having trouble with the newer stuff (like AHP?). Did you move or things change to cause your power lines to now have noise?

Maybe... if you post YOUR actual problem(s) someone can chime in and help you out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version