Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Restoring old X10 Lamp modules  (Read 13097 times)

JeffVolp

• Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Restoring old X10 Lamp modules
« on: December 09, 2007, 02:09:42 PM »

This year we must have more Christmas decorations because we ran out of lamp modules.  So, I dug out the box of “problem” units, thinking I would do some troubleshooting.  These modules haven’t seen the light of day since we moved here 4 years ago.  Two were the old brown BSR lamp modules, and two were newer Powerhouse units.

Surprisingly, the two brown BSR modules now work fine.  They were probably retired because they wouldn’t work in some areas of our last house.  Apparently, the stronger signal from the XTB-IIR has solved that problem.  The two Powerhouse units had a lot of internal corrosion, probably from being used for outdoor Christmas lights back East.  We had wrapped them in plastic, but that apparently did not stop the internal condensation.  Cleaning with alcohol and a brush, followed by compressed air, and re-lubricating the switches brought one back into service.  Unfortunately, the case was also broken on the last one, so that will be kept as spare parts.

Update - Tenax-7R solvent welded the broken screw posts back together, so even the last one is back in service.

Considering some of these are almost 30 years old, that's not bad reliability.

Jeff
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 03:24:30 PM by JeffVolp »
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Restoring old X10 Lamp modules
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 06:48:38 PM »

Sounds good. Thanks for the information.
I have seen the house and unit switches get flaky and the module resorts to a different address. Many times just rotating them a few time helps. M13 is the code if both are completely not connecting.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.