Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: phase coupler?  (Read 5013 times)

just4fn

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
phase coupler?
« on: May 10, 2006, 04:14:06 PM »

I have overhead lights that work fine with a timer and lamp module work fine with a timer when my cm15a is plugged in in the same room. If I move it up stairs, only the overhead lights will come on and not the lamp modules that are plugged into sockets. I purchased one of those phase couplers that looks like a big capacitor and installed it in my fuse box. I also measured the volts on both circuits and it registered 240. I thought this might do the trick. Still doesn't work.

One of the things i noticed in my fuse box is that the wires don't go red,black,red,black. They will go red,black,red,black,black,red,black black black. Do I need to change this and alternate the red and black wires or does this matter?

Would a better phase coupler do a better job?

Thanks for any help, Doug

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: phase coupler?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 04:35:05 PM »

If the voltage was 240 Volts between the capacitors leads. You have it on both phases.

Both the commercial couplers and the cap you installed basically do the samething. Some may have a tuned circuit in it to only pass the X10 signals. Couple the level of the signal as it is at the breaker box. So lets say your cm15a is about 6V PP and by the time it gets to the breaker box it is down to 1V PP. The signal back to the other phase starts at 1V PP to the other half of the house. The signals may still be too low at the modules in question.  A repeater maybe needed. It retransmits the signal on the other phase back at full voltage.
Before going further. Have you tried unplugging things like TVs; Stereos; computers to see if they are making noise or absorbing the signals. If disconnecting a device [off doesn't disconnect the standby power supply and may not show the problem] an X10 type filter may be what is needed.

just4fn

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 05:25:09 PM »

Is there a part # for a repeater? is it sold by x10? Thanks for the help, Doug

I have tried unplugging the tv,computer, etc.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 07:58:38 PM »

Do you want one for the breaker box or plug into a dryer outlet?
Not 100% sure if X10 may have one listed in the AHP area under modules. I know many dealers list them.
Not sure if it has been fixed yet; but some have reported that the Leviton HCA-02 can start a fire storm of signals with a cm15a.
X10Pro Smarthome and ACT all make repeaters. Will dig and hope to find more for you.

just4fn

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 09:42:58 PM »

my dryer is in a different circuit box.  I don't think that would help. I have 2 box's, one for the 120 the other for 220.

drbernie

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 02:26:01 AM »

I have a rural home... this means three sub-panels as we expanded.

I have great control over all the x10 units on one side of my house... BUT NO control over ANY x10 units of any kind on the other half of th house.

so I put in a phase coupler in my main box.  I tied to the box by coming off of the 220v breaker that routed to my first sub-panel.  I thought that the 220v breaker would be sitting on each half of the supply. 

All the wiring looked good... double checked... NO SMOKE .... but I still have NO CONTROL  over any devices powered through the other panel...

any suggestions?  perhaps another coupler in the sub-panel box?

thanks

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 06:24:37 AM »

Phase Couplers basically couple the signal from one phase to the other at the received level.
Lets say your CM15A is sending at 5 Volts on one branch line. It gets to the breaker at maybe 1 volt. The 1 volt is then coupled back on the other phase and encounters more losses. Repeaters resend at the full level on the other phase. Though some brands of repeaters are prone to signal firestorms where they lock into a constant set of signals on the powerline. My ACT CR134 is OK in that department as it has a setting to not resend known repeated signals.
I have no experience with them but many say the XTB and XTB2 are excellent X10 devices.  http://jvde.us/xtb/xtb_description.htm
Jeff also has a great set of troubleshooting tutorials.  http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
ACTs Engineer Phil also has great data on all types of X10 signaling.  http://www.act-solutions.com/PCC/uncle.htm

Have you tried things like noise and signal sucker troubleshooting?

:-[ Yes I know I was in a redundent mood and retraced the coupler thing from a earlier part of the thread.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 12:58:28 AM by JeffVolp »

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 04:43:59 PM »

One of the things i noticed in my fuse box is that the wires don't go red,black,red,black. They will go red,black,red,black,black,red,black black black.

Here is my guess...

red   \
black - 240v branch

red   \
black - 240v branch

black - 120v branch

red   \
black - 240v branch

black - 120v branch

black - 120v branch
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.