Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Phantoms OR Flags trip, but not both??? Mr. Puck?  (Read 12527 times)

Boiler

Re: Phantoms OR Flags trip, but not both??? Mr. Puck?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 08:42:49 AM »

PajamaGuy,

Now I'm a bit confused.  I thought you were having flag problems with the CM15a?  How does your DS7000 fit in?

If your RF receive was working up until two weeks ago, I wouldn't think an additional SR731 would be required.  Unless you just installed a metal wall in your house, RF range should not be the problem.

I don't know much about the DS7000, but I can help with the SR731 and CM15a.  Could you post some code (your macro problem) and give a bit more description on your security layout?

Boiler

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 09:43:08 AM »

Sorry - 2 different issues.

The basic problem is the range on the CM15A RF Reception.  At times yesterday, I had to hold the sensor against it to get it to receive (I think the antenna has an internal loose or almost broken connection.  So, I first got an SR731 and stuck it upstairs and everything was OK (as ok as x10 gets :D)

I then started having issues with the DS7000 NOT receiving sensor RF, so I moved the DS7000 AND the SR731 - and I'm still in the prosess of "repositioning" them.  (WAF is very low)

I read this board all the time, and it seems the experts (you included) all use the whole-house tranceiver, so I ordered one - should be here today!!! :o

Once I get the dedicated PC to "see" all activity via the monitor, and get the DS7000 to receive all the sensor RF, I'll continue refining macros.
I'm going to a business conference so I'll be off the boards until next weekend. - But I still have a bit of confusion.

In talking about RF Commands from AHP - and when I read the multiple CM15a's have their receivers disabled - do the RF commands actually run the powerline?

PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

Boiler

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 10:14:37 AM »

Sorry - 2 different issues.

The basic problem is the range on the CM15A RF Reception.  At times yesterday, I had to hold the sensor against it to get it to receive (I think the antenna has an internal loose or almost broken connection.  So, I first got an SR731 and stuck it upstairs and everything was OK (as ok as x10 gets :D)

I then started having issues with the DS7000 NOT receiving sensor RF, so I moved the DS7000 AND the SR731 - and I'm still in the prosess of "repositioning" them.  (WAF is very low)

Since you're not having problems with 2 receivers (CM15a and DS7000) I'd begin to suspect a source of RF interference.  Any chance you have a palmpad or other rf device that's stuck in the couch or low on batteries (flooding your house with RF)?  Do you see any unexplained RF in activity monitor?
Unfortunately, RF interference is rather tough to isolate.   

I read this board all the time, and it seems the experts (you included) all use the whole-house tranceiver, so I ordered one - should be here today!!! :o

Actually, I don't have a VT572.  I know people who do and it appears to be a rather capable device.  I use the little CM15a for all the RF in the house (no security).

In talking about RF Commands from AHP - and when I read the multiple CM15a's have their receivers disabled - do the RF commands actually run the powerline?
I'm not sure I understand this.  The only way that I know of to "disable" a CM15a receiver is to open the device and physically disable the circuit. 
Disabling a transceived housecode within AHP prevents the CM15a from translating the received RF and placing it on the powerline.  It does not prevent the CM15a from actually receiving the RF.

I'm currently running both of my CM15a's with the transceive option disabled on all housecodes.  Both devices still receive the RF and use it to trigger macros.  These macros may then put a X10 command on the powerline.

Hope that answers the question,
Boiler

PajamaGuy

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2008, 04:31:20 PM »

Actually, I think it's Puck who's disabled his dual CM15a's - -my question is, when you send an RF command from AHP, or from 1 CM15 to another, is it really RF over the air (what does the transmitting) or is it a PLC from one to the other?

And after 2 days and a bunch of hours since I got the 572, I forgot my own advice - get the CM15a as far from the PC as possible.  While/after hooking the 572, i layed the CM15 on the table between my laptop and my Linksys wireless router - DUH....dummy!!!!  After taking my wife to get her nails done (to improve the WAF), it dawned upon me - and I got out my 16' USB cable and moved the CM15a to the other side of the room.  Things seem to be much better.

My DS7000 seems to be receiving all its sensor input, overnight will tell.   Oh, I almost forgot.  The townhouse has METAL doors, after a shot of Dewar's, it occurred to me to extend the DS10a's wire as far as possible - moving the unit away from the door - seems to transmit farther now!
PajamaGuy
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 12:11:11 AM »

Actually, I think it's Puck who's disabled his dual CM15a's - -my question is, when you send an RF command from AHP, or from 1 CM15 to another, is it really RF over the air (what does the transmitting) or is it a PLC from one to the other?

I only disabled the receiver in each of my CM15As... the transmitters are still active (they are separate circuits inside). Yes it is an RF signal that gets sent with an RF command.

PajamaGuy

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2008, 04:59:41 PM »

So then how does a CM15a receive/use the command?  I'm confused as to how you use RF commands?  (sorry for being thick)
PajamaGuy
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2008, 02:25:33 PM »

So then how does a CM15a receive/use the command?  I'm confused as to how you use RF commands?  (sorry for being thick)

When the CM15A receives an RF Command, it demodulates it into its X10 signal. The signal can now be use it to trigger a macro and, if set to transceive, send it out as a PLC signal. The macro itself does not know the difference between an RF or PLC generated signal (unfortunately.. and a requested change).

So there is nothing different in your macros, etc. for using a received RF signal.

Since the CM15A has a separate transmitter, you can use the RF Functions to transmit an RF X10 Signal to another device (like a 2nd CM15A or any other transceiver) instead of sending the signal out as a PLC.

E.G. If you have a TM751, the CM15A will have to send an RF X10 command in order to activate the internal appliance module. As well, you need to send an RF command to a VCR Commander to have it start a recording if your motion sensors do not trigger it directly.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 02:28:14 PM by Puck »

PajamaGuy

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2008, 08:16:25 AM »

Since the CM15A has a separate transmitter, you can use the RF Functions to transmit an RF X10 Signal to another device (like a 2nd CM15A or any other transceiver) instead of sending the signal out as a PLC.
Sorry, but if both CM15a receivers are disabled, how do either of them RECEIVE an RF command?
PajamaGuy
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2008, 12:51:39 PM »

Sorry, but if both CM15a receivers are disabled, how do either of them RECEIVE an RF command?

I think the confusion may be the 2 different ways mentioned in this thread about communicating betwen 2 CM15As.

It was Boiler who talks between the 2 CM15As with RF. You are right, I can't / don't because my receivers are disabled. I can however still transmit RF signals from my CM15As to my DS7000, VCR Commander and TM751s.

PajamaGuy

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2008, 09:46:33 AM »

That clears it up - I was confusing you'alls installations.
PajamaGuy
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

PajamaGuy

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2008, 05:34:47 PM »

transmit RF signals from my CM15As to my DS7000

Can you transmit sensor signals?  or just Arm commands. 
PajamaGuy
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2008, 07:05:42 PM »

transmit RF signals from my CM15As to my DS7000

Can you transmit sensor signals?  or just Arm commands. 

Just the arm signal from an OnAlert installed remote.  ;)
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.