Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Phone Controller  (Read 3976 times)

donzi23

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Phone Controller
« on: December 10, 2007, 05:43:55 PM »

I need a new TR16a and I see that they are discontinued.  Is there a replacement item used to control equipement via telephone?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Phone Controller
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 05:58:25 PM »

If you have  A CM19A (USB firecracker) or CM15A (AHP) and a voice modem you can control devices via  a PC!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 06:38:12 PM »

I need a new TR16a and I see that they are discontinued.  Is there a replacement item used to control equipement via telephone?

The TR16A appears to be available elsewhere <click the link.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 06:47:19 PM »

Yes a Google search found a few dealers with them. One is the one Dave linked to.

donzi23

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 07:21:40 PM »

Thanks for your quick replies and info.  I have done the searches you suggested.  What I am trying to control is a computer located in a vacation home.  Once and a while this computer will lock up and I need to reboot.  I normally can communicate with this computer through my home computer, but when it locks up and need to turn it off and back on.  I have it set up to restart when power is restored, but since I can't communicate with it, I can shut it down.  Thus the phone controller to turn it off and it will restart on its own, then I can log in and restart the programs.  I haven't tried wol but have been reading about it.  That still wouldn't let me shut it down if it has become locked. 

Thanks again for your help and if you have any other suggestions, I would welcome them.

Saber Dog

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 06:57:20 PM »

I got one of the phone controllers a few weeks ago. I tried it from a cell phone on some lights etc. and it worked fine. You might need an appliance module and the computer would need to one that shuts off without power (no battery power).

itchibahn

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 04:02:25 PM »

Thanks for your quick replies and info.  I have done the searches you suggested.  What I am trying to control is a computer located in a vacation home.  Once and a while this computer will lock up and I need to reboot.  I normally can communicate with this computer through my home computer, but when it locks up and need to turn it off and back on.  I have it set up to restart when power is restored, but since I can't communicate with it, I can shut it down.  Thus the phone controller to turn it off and it will restart on its own, then I can log in and restart the programs.  I haven't tried wol but have been reading about it.  That still wouldn't let me shut it down if it has become locked. 

Thanks again for your help and if you have any other suggestions, I would welcome them.

There are plenty of devices such as http://www.cpscom.com/gprod/cps.htm, which doesn't require anything else but a phone line.  With these types of devices, you can shut off the power and turn back on if your computer or any other devices locks up.  You can also run watchdog on your computer to reboot automatically on given situation.  Computer lockups occur on two occasions:  hardware issue - in which case you want it fixed and can be restarted with these devices, software issue - in many case, you can use watchdog to reboot your system.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 07:34:15 PM »

.....  What I am trying to control is a computer located in a vacation home.  Once and a while this computer will lock up and I need to reboot. 

Because I am a BVC user (and fan), I run a HA computer 24/7 myself.... and even though it is configured to run that way... from-time to-time it needs to reboot. I think once a week would be more than enough.

I haven't done this yet... but as I understand it... I could accomplish an automatic (scheduled) reboot via AHP and the X10WavPlayer. I would guess, a series of planned reboots, might resolve most of your problems also.

Hopefully Tuicemen will chime in with some instructions.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 12:07:08 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 05:36:51 PM »

Because I am a BVC user (and fan), I run a HA computer 24/7 myself.... and even though it is configured to run that way... from-time to-time it needs to reboot. I think once a week would be more than enough.

I haven't done this yet... but as I understand it... I could accomplish an automatic (scheduled) reboot via AHP and the X10WavPlayer. I would guess, a series of planned reboots, might resolve most of your problems also.

Hopefully Tuicemen will chime in with some instructions.
Actually you don't need X10WavPlayer to do a reboot!
You can setup AHP to do a reboot though!
I posted how to do a shut down in "A BetterVoice for BXVC" I also explained how to do a reboot!
I stated you could then have BVC start the macro, but you could also start it via a timer in AHP say every Sunday night at 11:30 pm!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:45:07 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.