Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lights are at 50% when turned on via ActiveHome Pro USB  (Read 11353 times)

Autoguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Lights are at 50% when turned on via ActiveHome Pro USB
« on: December 24, 2007, 10:19:45 PM »

Help:

I recently upgraded to the ActiveHome Pro USB system configured as follows. 4 LM 465 lamp modules and 4 WS467 wall dimmer modules.  Units one and two control 1 ea 60w halogen bulbs, unit 3 controls a 60 w incandescent bulb and unit 4 controls 5 14w florescent and 2 60w halogen bulbs.  The 4 LM465 lamp modules control one ea 14 w compact florescent bulbs.  I am not experiencing any problems with flickering, and the lights are cycling on or off as programmed.  I am not running macros, nor are any being stored.  The WS467 wall modules are programmed to cycle on and off based on sun rise and sun set.  The LM465 lamp modules are programmed to respond to specific times, based upon the security feature.  The repeat function is not utilized in any of the programs.  All of the modules are on the same phase and I am utilizing the XPCP phase coupler (passive model) just in case.  My problem is that when the lights come based upon the on and off cycles they are at 50% brightness.  The bigger problem is that this problem is random.  Sometimes they come on at 100% and at other times they come on at 50%.  I have reprogrammed the individual modules and have downloaded the new programming to the ActiveHome Pro USB.  When I cycle the lights on manually they come on at 100% brightness.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Lights are at 50% when turned on via ActiveHome Pro USB
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 06:20:19 AM »

Where the wall switches and lamp module part of the upgrade?
Some of the later units act differently than older ones.

Autoguy

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 09:06:41 PM »

I replaced all of the original modules with new units when I upgraded my system.

zach1234

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 10:40:32 PM »

Check to see if the software is programed to turn onto 50%. I dont know that much about AHP. I got rid of it within the first hour of reciveing it.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 01:13:39 PM »

Autoguy: 
When you stated you upgraded to AHP did you upgrade from AH ?
Did you build your AHP rooms from scratch or use the old AH file to create your program?
Did you have every thing working correctly then after a AHP update notice issues?
Sorry for the questions but the issue is most likely software related (most likely a corrupt AHX file)

Priority Support
I dont know that much about AHP. I got rid of it within the first hour of reciveing it.
You can't give advice for something you yourself weren't willing to take the time to understand!
(Consider this: Replying to threads about topics that you have very little experience or no knowledge about will only increase your unhelpful dings)
AHP has many adds and isn't plug & play ;)
It proves to be difficult for even experienced longtime X10 users to pick up!
Others have no problems with it but it still takes more then an hour to set it up unless you only run one device!

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Autoguy

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 06:44:26 PM »

Previously I was using the Programmable Control Center and Timer from Radio Shack.  The Cat. No is 61-2470.  When I began using the AHP I deleted all of the existing macros and set up my own configuration and timed events.  During the first few days I did not experience any problems with the brightness function.  However, a few days ago the current problem reared its ugly face.  When I enter a timed event under the advanced feature the brightness level is set at 100%. I have gone into the "MyHome file to review the individual setting for each timed event, and each entry indicates a brightness level of 100%.  I cut and pasted the following line of code for my kitchen settings for your review and comments.

</room>
   <room t="Kitchen" id="1000001" header="0" ts="128425740403341856" origid="1000001"  >
      <mod id="2000001" type="LM465" t="Kitchen" code="A2" lifestyle="0" room="Kitchen" origid="2000001" ts="128430267814233472" />

Again, thanks for all of your help.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 08:22:04 PM »

Autoguy:
I don't know if it has a bearing on the problem, but neither the LM465 nor WS467 is intended for use with anything but incandescent bulbs.

One thing that will have a bearing is whether you have the original or new design LM465 and WS467.  X-10 has not been consistent in what they've been shipping, and there's no difference in appearance or labeling between them.  You should test each module to determine which is which.

The new design modules have a "soft start" feature - slowly brightening from Off to On and vice-versa over about 2 seconds - however this will be apparent only with incandescent bulbs.

The new design supports the extended code preset dim commands, similar to the now-discontinued LM14A 2-way lamp module.  Start a new file in AHP and drag in the icon for the LM14A.  Set the housecode/unit address to match one of your LM465 or WS467 modules.  Click the On/Off button on the icon to On, then Off.   The lamp attached to either an original or new module should respond accordingly.  Now drag the brightness slider on the icon all the way to the top (100%) and release.  A new design module should respond and the attached light turn on.  An original design module will not respond at all.

Change the address in the icon in turn to each of your other LM465 and WS467 modules and repeat the above test.  Let us know what you find out.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

* Cor *

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 05:31:36 PM »

I ran into something like this with my system. I also use AHP with the WS467 wall switches but mine was in the timer. It would preset to 50% when given it a on or off command.  ??? What seem to work for me was to change the 100% to absolute comand  under the option settings. Not sure if that was the fix or not but did work for me. That was when I had a lot of self created bugs. Still have a couple thou but finding that you fix one problem and two more get corrected.  :o
Hope this helps shed some light for them switches. Good Luck Cor

DaveH

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 10:17:37 AM »

Here's an idea that may fix the '50% dimmed' issue...it might help, and it might not:

In AHP, go to the 'Tools' menu, select 'Preferences', and then select 'Macro Options'. There, you can select the box for 'Issue ON in place of 100% Bright'.

Autoguy

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 08:25:30 PM »

I tried changing the "Issue On in place of the 100% brightness".  No luck!  I decided on starting fresh by deleting all of the controllers and I cleared the My Home file and the ACP controller.  Same problem.  I replaced any CPF bulbs with incandescents.  Still no luck.  A few of the modules are the newer type (soft start feature), but the problem affects all of my controllers.

Boiler

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 12:26:03 AM »

Autoguy,

Now that you have eliminated the CFL's, please go back and take a looks at Charles Sullivan's post.  If you do have "new" design units they have a number of new features and don't interface well to the "standard" modules within AHP.  One of these features is "resume dim" which could produce some of the symptoms that you are seeing.

Charles had a detailed thread on how to determine if your module was a "new design" here :

Distinguishing New from Old WS467 or LM465 modules

The forum has a sticky here:
The "NEW" LM465/WS467 (Early 2007) Don't Work Like the "OLD"..

Try to take your testing one step at a time.  Check your LM465's first (locally) and verify with are the "new" design.  Then proceed to your WS467's (more painful - assuming you have stairs). 

I believe that all of the "new" units can be properly operated using a LM14a interface within ActiveHomePro.  Charles has a number of posts on this topic as well (sorry, I'd provide provide links but it's getting late and I'm feeling lazy).

Boiler

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 05:24:47 PM »

I replaced any CPF bulbs with incandescents.  Still no luck. 

I wonder if you might have done some permanent damage to your lamp modules by using them with CFL.    ???
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 05:13:44 PM »

I tried changing the "Issue On in place of the 100% brightness".  No luck!  I decided on starting fresh by deleting all of the controllers and I cleared the My Home file and the ACP controller.  Same problem.  I replaced any CPF bulbs with incandescents.  Still no luck.  A few of the modules are the newer type (soft start feature), but the problem affects all of my controllers.
Try creating a NEW AHX file! Clearing it will not help if it became corrupt! ;) :( I had a Corrupt AHX which a whole room vanished from view in AHP but the program still seen all modules and macros in that room! ::)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

zach1234

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 08:58:17 PM »

Thanks for the unhelpful DING!!! I love those

Autoguy

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 08:26:52 AM »

I went back and tried Charles Sullivan's suggestion concerning the LM14A.  Each of the existing lights worked when switched on and off with the LM14A.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.