Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 3 basic AHP questions  (Read 7701 times)

mikebhoff

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
3 basic AHP questions
« on: December 28, 2007, 02:12:24 PM »

I apologize in advance if these have been covered. I really did spend time searching, but there is so much out there and my search skills are limited.

1.  Since AHP on the home computer must be up and running to log on remotely to myhouse, is there a method of starting an unattended home computer and booting up AHP say at 5PM every afternoon for an hour or long enough to check on cameras remotely.  Like on a 2 week vacation.
2.  When I log on remotely (I'm excited I can finally manage this much), I have to expand a small screen then all the buttons and videos are way out of proportion.  Was wondering if this had something to do with both computers set to different resolutions.
3.  When starting up AHP after waiting for all the plugins to register etc. whatever, I get a featured plug in, home security, remind me in X minutes screen. Doesn't seem to do anything. Whats it for?

OH and one more while I'm here please:
Whats that double bar thing at the bottom of the screen next to the time that reminds me of the fabric feeder part of a sewing machine under the needle

THANKS     All this X10 stuff is very challenging and I'm having loads of fun making everything work. Besides being beneficial, its cheap entertainment  and a inexpensive, worthy hobby

mike   x10 fan

murphy

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: 3 basic AHP questions
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 06:01:30 PM »

1.  Since AHP on the home computer must be up and running to log on remotely to myhouse, is there a method of starting an unattended home computer and booting up AHP say at 5PM every afternoon for an hour or long enough to check on cameras remotely.  Like on a 2 week vacation.

I do this when I am away.  You need the ability to send a "magic packet" to your computer and your computer must be be able to turn on when it receives a "magic packet".  I use an IOGear GWA504 Wireless-G broadband router which has the ability to send a wake-up packet to an attached computer.  The early SMC Barricade routers also had this capability.  I log into the router remotely and send the wake-up packet to the computer.  When I am done I shut the computer down.  I use pcAnywhere for remote access to the computer.   I don't have myhouse so I can't answer your other questions.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 06:03:32 PM »

Yes! Place AHP in your start up folder.
You'll have to go into your PC Bios some (but not all PCs) have options for starting others have wake on lan or modem options! Then use "magic packets" as discribed by murphy
You can then create a Batch file that can be triggered  to shut down the pc with the windows command option for macros!
2.  When I log on remotely (I'm excited I can finally manage this much), I have to expand a small screen then all the buttons and videos are way out of proportion.  Was wondering if this had something to do with both computers set to different resolutions.
It is most likely the dispay settings of the client PC

3.  When starting up AHP after waiting for all the plugins to register etc. whatever, I get a featured plug in, home security, remind me in X minutes screen. Doesn't seem to do anything. Whats it for?
The home security plug-in (ONAlert) allows AHP to monitor security modules you can turn off the featured plug-in notification by unchecking the box next to Show Featured Plug-in in Tools/Preferences
OH and one more while I'm here please:
Whats that double bar thing at the bottom of the screen next to the time that reminds me of the fabric feeder part of a sewing machine under the needle
The double bar thingy is the incoming and out going info!(commands recieved, video\pics\info sent to update the info on the X10 Server)

Glad to see your enjoying your need hobby!
WARNING: HomeAutomation can be come addictive! ;) :D ;D
It then starts to get expensive! :'(
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 06:07:36 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

AdamF

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 05:13:26 PM »

Everything described so far will work.  Just another idea for you...  I found it easier to just get to my computer remotely and control everything right through the computer.  I don't use any X10 cameras so I can't say how that would work.  I simply control lights.  So, this is just an idea.  It's also a good safety in case you can't get AHP to connect for some reason and you want to get to your machine to see why.

I use something like LogMeIn.com (FREE) and have that installed on my computer.  I then can get to it from any machine with a web browser (albeit there are some limitations like some corporate networks might block you but you'd probably have that problem with AHP as well).  Then I can control my computer as if I were sitting at it.  I can bring up AHP and use it and control all of my X10 stuff.

Good luck.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.