Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Coupler-Repeater Options?  (Read 2678 times)

Geewiz

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Coupler-Repeater Options?
« on: December 24, 2007, 12:44:31 PM »

I have the SignaLinc Repeater 3-Wire Dryer plug-in module, but still have a few circuits where the signals to lamp modules aren't getting through.

Our 10 year old  house is about 4,200 sq ft on three levels.  Main service panel is in the basement, and the dryer is on the 2nd floor.  I'm wondering if having the dryer coupler two levels up from the service panel is creating too long a circuit path to get the signal back to the lamp module on the opposite phase? 

Would a coupler-repeater that's hard-wired at the service box in the basement , such as the X10 PRO XPCR, shorten the loop and improve the signal to those modules?

Thanks,
Joe

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Coupler-Repeater Options?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 01:08:53 PM »

Would a coupler-repeater that's hard-wired at the service box in the basement , such as the X10 PRO XPCR, shorten the loop and improve the signal to those modules?
Yes, but before you rush out and install one, check for noise/signal suckers!
No need to get it if it isn't needed! ;) Long wire runs will result in degraded signals! If the module is on the end of the run a new Hardwired coupler may not help much!
Have you mapped your circits to be sure it is on the opposite phase?
Topic: How-To: Map Your Electrical Circuits  (Read 5561 times)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 01:12:42 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 02:24:27 PM »

Yes it may.
I second the thought of trying to find signal suckers or noise makers if only a few devices are not working.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 02:57:26 PM »

I had a SignaLinc coupler-repeater that plugged into my dryer outlet.  I had nothing but trouble with it.  Apparently, it is simply bad design, and simply a isolated defective item.  In my 20+ years of X10, it was the only time I flat-out returned an item.

You might want to, however, check into the SignaLinc Booster.  I found that works far better.  You can place it in the middle of a long run, and it will keep the X10 signals strong.

What you need to figure out, is if the circuits which aren't getting signals, are all on the same phase or not.  You could do this by checking out which breakers feed those circuits, and using the diagram found inside the service panel, if they are all the same phase feed.  Let us know the results, and possibly we could offer some solutions.

* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

zach1234

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 07:32:48 PM »

The vast majority of homes in North America have the electrical power divided into two phases (commercial buildings often have three phases but we will ignore that since I am intending this tutorial for home users). About half of the 110V lights, appliances and outlets use one phase and the rest use the other phase (220 V appliances use both phases and kitchen duplexes typically have one plug on each phase). You don't need to know why your house is set up this way, just trust me that it is.

Phase Coupling is allowing the X10 powerline signals to travel from one phase to another. This is needed so that if the transmitter (transceiver, plug-in controller or 2-way module) is on one phase and the receiver is on the other phase the receiver will hear the X10 signal.

Every home has a small level of coupling between the two phases at the transformer that supplies power to the house. This coupling is inductive which means that the higher the frequency, the more it attenuates (a fancy word for weakens) the signal. When combined with the signal reduction caused by traveling to the transformer and back, it is typically assumed that the signal will be 1/10 as strong on the opposite phase. This would be fine if there wasn’t anything else to weaken the signal or generate noise on the line, but this usually isn’t the case.

Some people will say to test if a problem is due to poor phase coupling by turning on an electric stove or dryer and see if the module starts working. This will sometimes work because a dryer (or stove) provides basically a resistive (yes the motor is inductive, but lets ignore it) load between the two phases. This means that it will attenuate all frequencies by the same amount. The resistance in the dryer is reasonably low, so it will improve the coupling, but it won’t be great. That is why even if the problem doesn't go away when performing this test, a phase coupler may still solve your problem. Every house will benefit from a phase coupler, so I highly recommend installing some type of phase coupler if you want to have more than a couple X10 modules in your house.

refer to: http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Phase_Coupling

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.