Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New to X10 - DS10A (Door/window sensor)  (Read 7917 times)

shadowhywind

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
New to X10 - DS10A (Door/window sensor)
« on: October 27, 2008, 03:55:04 PM »

Hi all, I am new to x10, So far I am loving it (my wallet on the other hand isn't to happy). My question
is I just ended up buying a DS10A and an RR501. However on some closer searching i found out that the RR501 can
not recieve the security signal from the DS10A is that correct? If so, is there any other product that i could pick up to either
translate the signal into the 'over the powerline' or to take the signal and translate it right into the computer? Also if it helps,
I am planning on buying a few more (motion sensors, security cameras, etc). So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: New to X10 - DS10A (Door/window sensor)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 05:32:03 PM »

Hi all, I am new to x10, So far I am loving it (my wallet on the other hand isn't to happy). My question
is I just ended up buying a DS10A and an RR501. However on some closer searching i found out that the RR501 can
not recieve the security signal from the DS10A is that correct? If so, is there any other product that i could pick up to either
translate the signal into the 'over the powerline' or to take the signal and translate it right into the computer? Also if it helps,
I am planning on buying a few more (motion sensors, security cameras, etc). So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

ActiveHome Pro together with the OnAlert plugin can receive X10 security signals and trigger macros.  It requires that the PC be running.

The WGL V572RS32 (http://www.wgldesigns.com) can transceive standard X10 signals and also map X10 security signals to standard X10 powerline signals without benefit of a running PC (other than for initial configuration).

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 01:32:28 AM »

It gets kind of tricky though in terms of programing from what I've read, but Welcome! and do your homework first so that you're know what to expect. For example I love my AHP but at least for me the range is poor, any other questions just ask hopefully someone be able help or point you in the right direction. Good Luck!!

Tom j.

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 07:44:18 AM »

Shadowhywind -  (boy are you in for it! rofl) - but you're going to have fun!  This forum is your best source for information.  Read the sticky tips & tricks!

Since you're starting - remember to keep copies of all of your orders, receipts, and packing slips - scan them in to a folder and include that folder in your back-up routines.

When you talk to X10, tell the nice sales folks what you want and most of them will find a "package" (past or current) that will give you the best price.   Also, look on ebay for guys who sell a lot of stuff.  1's and 2's are ok, but beware the seller's warranty.

What Mr. Sullivan wrote contains  an important piece of data.  If you use OnAlert (plugin) you can then use the security sensors as 'triggers" for macros, BUT the macros will ONLY run if the PC is on - macros triggered by security sensors cannot be stored in, nor run from the CM15A.

However, as he also pointed out - The V572RF32 from WGLDesigns converts RF from security sensors (and remotes) into user-defined PLCs.  PLC triggered macros CAN be stored and run from the CM15A without a running PC.  The V572 is also a "whole house" transceiver.  Its range is great!  An un-modified CM15A sometimes has less range than you can spit.

Since you're just starting, read about Jeff Volt's XTBIIR.  Read, ask, read, ask - there are some guys here that have been doing X10 since Thomas Edison was in short pants.

Welcome to the club!  >!
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

tom j

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 04:56:25 PM »

Hello PajamaGuy I was actually thinking about installing On Alert myself but seems like I read somewhere that when the window/door sensor attempts to report AHP see's this as an open or close signal is this true and whats' the work around this again. Reason I haven't installed it yet is that I heard that you can't uninstall these plugin once installed. Thanks

Tom j.

PajamaGuy

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 06:55:39 AM »

Tom J. - For the plug-ins - you are correct, you pretty much have to uninstall AHP, them reinstall.

But I don't understand why anyone would want to uninstall OnAlert?  If you're worried about the Security Sensors' "heartbeat" where the DS10A's broadcast their status every hour (the MS10A's every 90 min), so what?   ???

Explain what problem you have, or think you will have, and they guys here will help you solve it! ;D
PajamaGuy
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

tom j

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 10:55:08 PM »

Hi PajamaGuy say is it true when this things heart beats  ;D  does AHP see this as an open or closed door? Just want to make sure I read and understand this correctly. Seems like it would really be a great addition but because of the unintal thing just want to know as much as possible before I install it you know what they say if it aint broke..........  Thanks!

Tom j.

PajamaGuy

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 07:14:26 AM »

Yes.  Responses to AHP from DS10A's are "Sensor Triggered" or "Sensor Closed"; from the MS10A they are, "Motion Detected" and "Motion Reset".

I don't understand why you are so concerned about the ability to uninstall OnAlert?
PajamaGuy
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.