Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Insteon - X10 Compability Question  (Read 25569 times)

acima

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Insteon - X10 Compability Question
« on: January 10, 2008, 09:33:08 PM »

I have an other newbie question in relation to my previous thread:
http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=14311.0

I found this Insteon module that comes the closest so far to my needs:
http://www.insteon.net/2475d-in-linelinc-dimmer.html
From what I read it seems that Insteon is in principle compatibel with X10. What are the limiations?
For example if I would like to use a X10 controller like Leviton HCC3D-1TW:
http://www.levitonproducts.com/catalog/model_HCC3D-1TW.htm?sid=4046CCCE9223EF10C5E2E664A79805A0&pid=1208
Would that controller work with the Insteon dimmer?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Insteon - X10 Compability Question
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 10:43:31 PM »

Although some users here use other brands in there setups you may have better luck or at least get a quicker answer by posting in the Insteon section of the Smarthome forums ;)
You are more apt to get a more detailed responce there! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 12:08:05 AM »

From what I read it seems that Insteon is in principle compatible with X10.

Insteon and X10 are two completely different PLC technologies that use similar frequencies.  Many Insteon devices include a X10 compatibility mode so they can be controlled by X10 signals.  X10 controllers will only work with Insteon devices that offer that compatibility mode.  The module you referenced does offer that mode.

There is an "in-line" X10 dimmer module similar to the Insteon one you referenced if you want to stay in X10 land.  That is available in both X10 (XPDF) and Leviton (6376) flavors.  It is essentially a re-packaged lamp dimmer module, and does not offer the advanced features of the Insteon product.  However, you can get the XPDF for about 10 bucks plus shipping on eBay.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 06:53:34 AM »

That module can be set with an X10 Primary Address and should react to an X10  command on its address.
It is basically a wall switch with the paddles removed and some extra coverings over openings where dirt may get in. Since it is a two way device. It can absorb some X10 signals when installed. The X10 AM14A and LM14A two way devices would also absorb some signals. It can do %dim commands that I don't believe X10 controllers can send.

If you go that route make sure you have enough room to install it. Mine would not fit in my fixtures box as it is a wall type switch. You can break off the mount tabs to make it smaller.

Download the full users manual from the site for a better understanding of the way it works.

As Jeff mentioned the X10 Pro line also has a fixture module in both relay and dimming types.

acima

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 10:55:27 AM »

Thanks. I would prefer to stay in X10 land and in general use X10.
Unfortunately, I just can't find a wire-in dimmer that work with LV transformers (not working: according to the web site notes).
XPDF and Leviton (6376) flavors both have a note on web pages stating not to be used with LV.

Therefore I was thinking to use the Insteon modules in this case but keep using X10 modules for other applications.  Also, I need a controller that goes into the wall that is not a dimmer. Insteon has only wall controllers with integrated dimmer. Therefore, I would like to stay with a X10 wall controller.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 06:37:55 PM »

The specification sheet for the InLineLinc Dimmer does not say it can do Inductive or low voltage lighting. It says Incadescent.
So more investigation maybe needed.

acima

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 07:15:01 PM »

Well, I'm hoping that one vendor will come up with one... ;)

But in the meantime, I'm confused as well. This web site claims it supports low voltage lights:
http://www.smarthome.com/2475d.html

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 07:04:41 AM »

Seems to say both things and I too am confused.
Near the top of the screen is does say LV lights.
In the specifications sheet near the bottom is says 300 Watt Incadescent and nothing about the other types of lamps. The relay type of that module gives resistive; inductive and incandescent ratings?

Added data:
On the web link you gave. near the bottom is a download link for the Full Users Manual. Read the percautions page. It says to reduce risk of overheating and damage. Use Incadescent type bulbs only. Unless the lights vendor specfies it can be dimmed. Also Smarthome says you are responsible if dimming a inductive device and damage happens.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 01:16:01 PM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.