Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Would you be willing to spend more on a universal module or switch which could be modified by AHP for use in different locations

Yes, one module or switch, that can be modified depending on what I use it for.
- 4 (30.8%)
No, I want to have to purchase individual components for each location.
- 4 (30.8%)
No, I want to purchase individual components and then purchase different components if I change my mind.
- 5 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Universal Modules  (Read 26508 times)

nklght

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Universal Modules
« on: January 14, 2008, 12:38:12 AM »

As long as X-10 has been around, somehow the technology should be advanced to allow users to purchase one unit and program it to work with what ever load or situation is given.  I should be able to have a lamp module dim, or else decide to use CFL's and dim it, or at least turn the state to either on or off.  If a socket rocket can be programmed to an address then why can't a device be programmed to be act in a different manner.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: Universal Modules
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 02:13:42 AM »

You're probably thinking that a general purpose module will cost only a little more than a plain old module.  It ain't gonna happen!

I'd prefer to pay $10 for a plain old module rather than $50 for a general purpose module, then change it out if necessary for another $10.
If I pay $50 for a general purpose module and it burns out, I'm then faced with paying another $50 to replace it.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 10:48:29 AM »

...I'd prefer to pay $10 for a plain old module rather than $50 for a general purpose module...
My feelings exactly.
Also it's much more likely to see a "buy 1 get 1 free" X10 sale on a $10 module than to ever see one on a $50 module.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 12:28:57 PM »

nklght

www.smarthome.com has "Smarthome" modules that are far more programmable than X10...and of course at considerably more cost.

I agree with Charles and Steve, 10 bucks a pop specific function, is better than 50 bucks a pop generl/programmable function. IMHO

However, I would like to see X10 take the guts out of a Socket Rocket and make a "light load", "silent" appliance module out of it.

You listening Dave Rye?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 03:43:08 PM »

........... I would like to see X10 take the guts out of a Socket Rocket and make a "light load", "silent" appliance module out of it.

I used a couple adaptors to make my own to control an LED lamp.

P.S. I just bought 3 SocketRocket and 2 stick-on wall switches through an X10 deal.. for $19.99. Even paying for shipping that's just over $5.00 per item.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 03:47:07 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 04:32:20 PM »

I did a mod where you replaced the dimming circuit of a Lamp Module and replaced it with a Sharp SSR that controlled AC. I also removed all the local sensing stuff and it worked fine for CFLs and LED bulbs.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 05:05:56 PM »

I think the the most important new modules X-10 could introduce would be non-dimming triac (silent - no relay) wall switches and appliance modules for fluorescents and CFL applications, with no local control (and no sense current).  And if X-10 management has any sense, they'll assign new part numbers and won't repeat the new/old LM465 and WS467 fiasco.  The only trouble is that these wall switches will require a neutral wire in the switch box.

It looks like Marmitek in Europe may have taken the lead on the local sensing issue based on their product descriptions.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

nklght

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 03:58:08 AM »

I did a mod where you replaced the dimming circuit of a Lamp Module and replaced it with a Sharp SSR that controlled AC. I also removed all the local sensing stuff and it worked fine for CFLs and LED bulbs.

I would like to see some more info about your mod
ncklght

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 10:16:35 AM »

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/TParent/HA/LM465SSR.htm
The Author left local control stuff installed. After you look at the mod. I can tell you by silk screened numbers on the PCB what I removed if you are interested.
I did a B&D Freewire Lamp Module [OEM by X10] and a real LM465 old style. I understand the newest LM465s have new surface mounted stuff and maybe soft start. Mods for those I have no data on. The B&D had a slight mod in it. A protective fuse was on the PCB and an original run was cut for the fuse. Still worked fine.
The authors mod was two part. The second change; to a 220 volt module; in this case does not apply.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 10:18:48 AM by Brian H »

nklght

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 11:55:29 PM »

Thanks for the info

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.