Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: CM15A will not turn on XPD3  (Read 8816 times)

tucsonuser

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
CM15A will not turn on XPD3
« on: January 14, 2008, 12:53:26 PM »

Hi all,

This past weekend I replaced all my WS477 switches. I ordered the WS 12A and was sent the XPD3. Contacting sales I was told that they were out of WS 12As and the XPD3 was a heavy duty replacement.

So I replaced all the WS477 switches with XPD3 switches and now have a problem. My CM15A controller which was programmed by Active Home Pro 3.204 will not turn the switches on with programming control i.e. Sunset/Sunrise. It will turn the switches off with programming control. If I use my Palm Pad remote (HR12A), I can turn on and off the switches.

Technical support tells me it a noise problem, and that the signal generated by the CM15A is weaker than the signal passed through from the HR12A. If this is correct then why does the switch turn on when I request “all lights on” which has to be generated in the CM15A controller? And why does programming control turn the switches off?

Calling technical support I was told I needed the WS 14A.

Now I’m looking for help from you.
1)   Can the CM15A run the XPD3 through programming control?
2)   Would changing the switch type in Active Home Pro 3.2.04 from “3-way wall switch module” to “Levitron wall switch 6381” or “Levitron   wall switch 6381” help?
3)   One last question. I just did a search and saw that there is a definition for a Pro 3-way wall switch module. Is this the answer?

Thanks In Advance

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: CM15A will not turn on XPD3
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 05:40:18 PM »

Hi all,

This past weekend I replaced all my WS477 switches. I ordered the WS 12A and was sent the XPD3. Contacting sales I was told that they were out of WS 12As and the XPD3 was a heavy duty replacement.

So I replaced all the WS477 switches with XPD3 switches and now have a problem. My CM15A controller which was programmed by Active Home Pro 3.204 will not turn the switches on with programming control i.e. Sunset/Sunrise. It will turn the switches off with programming control. If I use my Palm Pad remote (HR12A), I can turn on and off the switches.

Technical support tells me it a noise problem, and that the signal generated by the CM15A is weaker than the signal passed through from the HR12A. If this is correct then why does the switch turn on when I request “all lights on” which has to be generated in the CM15A controller? And why does programming control turn the switches off?

Calling technical support I was told I needed the WS 14A.

Now I’m looking for help from you.
1)   Can the CM15A run the XPD3 through programming control?
2)   Would changing the switch type in Active Home Pro 3.2.04 from “3-way wall switch module” to “Levitron wall switch 6381” or “Levitron   wall switch 6381” help?
3)   One last question. I just did a search and saw that there is a definition for a Pro 3-way wall switch module. Is this the answer?

Thanks In Advance

I suspect the "noise problem" is only from the X-10 support technician talking through his hat.

Try programming the XPD3 as a LM14A and operating it by sliding the brightness slider on the icon up and down (stopping at some intermediate points).  If the lamp controlled by the module responds (you won't see any change in the icon), that means X-10 is shipping XPD3 with redesigned firmware, similar to what they've done with the WS467.

Let us know if that's the case; then we can advise you further.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

tucsonuser

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 10:27:57 AM »

I suspect the "noise problem" is only from the X-10 support technician talking through his hat.

Try programming the XPD3 as a LM14A and operating it by sliding the brightness slider on the icon up and down (stopping at some intermediate points).  If the lamp controlled by the module responds (you won't see any change in the icon), that means X-10 is shipping XPD3 with redesigned firmware, similar to what they've done with the WS467.

Sorry it took so long for me to respond. I didn’t have "notify when replies" or whatever it's called turned on.  I will look for the definition of the LM14A. today. If you know where it is would you reply with direction where to find it, to save me some time?

I’ve done a lot of tests since I last posted. I even bought another CM15A and a BoosterLinc with no success. What a sucker I am!!!!!! I went out to my circuit breaker box and assured that all the switches that are currently not working correctly, the BoosterLinc and the CM15A were all on the same phase of the box. I redefined the switches from PRO 3-ways to just plain 3-ways and some of the strange behavior has gone away. The BoosterLinc does not show nois on the line and does show the signal going down the line.

At this time I still have the switches not turning on when the CM 15A attempts to turn the individual switch on through program control. They however turn on with the PalmPad (8 button wireless remote) individual signals, all lights on signal, and individual control from the PC when connected to the CM15A.

During my testing I attempted the Brute Force Method. I created a macro to do ALL LIGHTS ON then turn off the ones I didn’t need. This didn’t work until I increased the delay of the turn offs to 5 minutes. Currently (not wanting to spend any more $$$$) I do All Lights On, then run a macro that turns off the units I don’t want a minute latter. I may try seeing what happens if I attempt to run the turn off macro at the same scheduled time. Maybe Off comes after On, who knows.

If this sounds like I’m using the Brute Force Method or Kentucky Windage you are correct. Since technical support appears to be un-trained and totally unprofessional I have to use my past 20+ years of computer programming and my electronics experience to attempt to get it to work correctly.

In summary: I believe that the XPD3 switches require either a different signal than my previous switches (not sure of the model, they were probable close to 17 years old), and the CM15A has some undocumented features (errors). Oh yeah my 25 year old Radio Shack (looks like a clock radio) turns them on correctly.

Oh PS,
Are you saying the definition of the different switches in Active Home actually send different signals to the different modules?

Oh PSS,
If I sell this house my next house will most likely not have X-10 units. I’ll look for something mire current, Yeah I know, more current = More$$$$$

Thanks for the help.

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 11:10:56 AM »

Sorry it took so long for me to respond. I didn’t have "notify when replies" or whatever it's called turned on.  I will look for the definition of the LM14A. today. If you know where it is would you reply with direction where to find it, to save me some time?

I’ve done a lot of tests since I last posted. I even bought another CM15A and a BoosterLinc with no success. What a sucker I am!!!!!! I went out to my circuit breaker box and assured that all the switches that are currently not working correctly, the BoosterLinc and the CM15A were all on the same phase of the box. I redefined the switches from PRO 3-ways to just plain 3-ways and some of the strange behavior has gone away. The BoosterLinc does not show nois on the line and does show the signal going down the line.

At this time I still have the switches not turning on when the CM 15A attempts to turn the individual switch on through program control. They however turn on with the PalmPad (8 button wireless remote) individual signals, all lights on signal, and individual control from the PC when connected to the CM15A.

During my testing I attempted the Brute Force Method. I created a macro to do ALL LIGHTS ON then turn off the ones I didn’t need. This didn’t work until I increased the delay of the turn offs to 5 minutes. Currently (not wanting to spend any more $$$$) I do All Lights On, then run a macro that turns off the units I don’t want a minute latter. I may try seeing what happens if I attempt to run the turn off macro at the same scheduled time. Maybe Off comes after On, who knows.

If this sounds like I’m using the Brute Force Method or Kentucky Windage you are correct. Since technical support appears to be un-trained and totally unprofessional I have to use my past 20+ years of computer programming and my electronics experience to attempt to get it to work correctly.

In summary: I believe that the XPD3 switches require either a different signal than my previous switches (not sure of the model, they were probable close to 17 years old), and the CM15A has some undocumented features (errors). Oh yeah my 25 year old Radio Shack (looks like a clock radio) turns them on correctly.

Oh PS,
Are you saying the definition of the different switches in Active Home actually send different signals to the different modules?

Oh PSS,
If I sell this house my next house will most likely not have X-10 units. I’ll look for something mire current, Yeah I know, more current = More$$$$$

Thanks for the help.

The LM14A module is found in AHP along with all the other Lamp Modules.

Yes, AHP sends different signals depending on what type of module the signal is destined for.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

tucsonuser

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 01:09:55 PM »

Man you are something!!!!! It appears you may be correct. I’ll know 100% (I think) after tonight.

Now I have a few questions:
1)   How did you know that?
2)   What the heck is a 2-way lamp module? I thought 2-way-anything were controlled by 2-switches. 3-ways were controlled by 2+ switches.
3)   How do we get the X-10 technical support to know this? It took 2 years+ to get them to even look deeply into my daylight savings time problem.
4)   Do you work for X-10, SmartHome or some other company like that?

I’ll get back with you after I see how things go tonight and tomorrow morning.

THANKS A BUNCH.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 02:12:58 PM »

#2 A two way module is one that can sent its status back over the powerline when requested or it locally change its state. It has a powerline transmitter in it.

Boiler

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 04:26:17 PM »

Tucsonuser,

Charles is far to modest to "toot his own horn", so I thought I'd chime in.

1)   How did you know that? - Charles is obsequious and clairvoyant (i.e. expert adviser)!

Actually Charles led the charge to identify changes in "new X10 design" units back in '07.
Here are a couple of links to test methods, and results:

Distinguishing New from Old WS467 or LM465 modules

The forum has a sticky here:
The "NEW" LM465/WS467 (Early 2007) Don't Work Like the "OLD"..

2) Answered by Brian.
3) No polite way to answer this question.
4) An X10 employee?  Charles will probably get a chuckle out of that.  Do a forum search on his name (and all the CO's and advisers).  You won't be wasting your time - there's a lot of knowledge there.

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 06:44:57 PM »

4)   Do you work for X-10, SmartHome or some other company like that?

I work for HEYU  (http://www.heyu.org).   We've been so successful I've been able to give myself a 100% raise every year.   ::)

After expenses though (about $35 last year for some of these new design LM465 and WS467 modules for testing purposes), my bank account is unfortunately still about $35 in the red.   ;D

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

tucsonuser

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 11:59:05 AM »

Here I am as promised. A BIG THANKS to Charles. It appears that I'm back in business. I wanted to make this reply more verbose, but I have an appointment. I forced myself to logon because I wanted to thanks Charles.

THANKS AGAIN   I have different words for the official technical support people.

tucsonuser

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 03:28:06 PM »

I took a look at the links. Of course I now have a headache. BIG question is how do I get AHP 3.206? I have 3.2.04 with all the updates (so they say) Do I really need 3.206?

Boiler

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 03:53:29 PM »

I took a look at the links. Of course I now have a headache. BIG question is how do I get AHP 3.206? I have 3.2.04 with all the updates (so they say) Do I really need 3.206?

In a word - NO.  I'm running 3.204 as well.  The 3.206 version adds OnAlert. 

Boiler

tucsonuser

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 04:01:08 PM »

Got it, but where is 3.206 coming from?

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 04:52:38 PM »

Got it, but where is 3.206 coming from?

If you buy OnAlert ($49.99 from X-10 or $2.69 on eBay), AHP is upgraded to 3.206 (at least it's supposed to).

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

tucsonuser

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 05:09:28 PM »

Strange. I just bought a CM15A from X10.com and checked for updates. On well, as long as I'm not missing anything critical.

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 05:17:20 PM »

Strange. I just bought a CM15A from X10.com and checked for updates. On well, as long as I'm not missing anything critical.

I should have said "ONLY if you buy OnAlert is AHP upgraded to 3.206".   AHP 3.206 has something added which is required to support the OnAlert plugin, that's all.  It's not a regular upgrade.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.