Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Remote Control Suggestion???  (Read 8672 times)

caudill22

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Remote Control Suggestion???
« on: January 15, 2008, 03:14:26 PM »

I am looking for suggestions as to what remote control I can use that meets all my needs. I am currently using a maxi controller on my night stand because of it's ability to program the "one touch" buttons to any house code/ any unit code. However, the maxi controller is large and wired, therefore it really isn't that handy. I also have a CR12A, but it really won't work on my night stand because I need to control different devices/macros on different house codes. Is there a small wireless remote control out there that has programmable one touch buttons similar to the maxi controller, but small and wireless??? I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Remote Control Suggestion???
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 03:36:25 PM »

Many use a modified Palm pad (HR12A) with a piece of plastic inserted into the House Code Address selector so you can change house codes ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

caudill22

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 04:00:24 PM »

Now that you mention it, I have seen small plastic adapter pieces for X10 products to change the code wheel. I don't remember where I saw them... maybe eBay??? That would be one option.

I am also thinking about getting an IR543 to use with my universal remote control. The manual for my universal remote control has an X10 code, however I believe the IR from the universal remote control has to be converted to RF for my CM12A or the IR543 will convert the IR and send the signal over the line. I have never used my universal remote for an X10 command, so this idea is still a theory at this point. I have seen some posts for the Harmony 880 in a similar set up, however I love my current universal remote from Sharper Image and don't want to give it up.

Anyone else out there using their universal remote? If so, what is your set up, IR to RF or IR to IR543???
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 04:02:21 PM by caudill22 »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 07:34:49 PM »

Now that you mention it, I have seen small plastic adapter pieces for X10 products to change the code wheel. I don't remember where I saw them...

They are called "Code Wheels" or "Clickers". Also available in Black.

Are you an AHP user? I have considered setting up a nightstand remote that would utilize Active Home Pro Macros to perform functions over several (if not all) my House/Unit Codes.

For example:  An ALL OFF button/macro could turn off lights and devices on several House/Unit Codes. Or a TAPE IT button/macro could automatically scan through all my cameras (maybe a couple times) while recording (the cause of any noise) to the VCR.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 07:37:27 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 07:41:28 PM »

Now that you mention it, I have seen small plastic adapter pieces for X10 products to change the code wheel. I don't remember where I saw them... maybe eBay??? That would be one option.

They're called "Code Clickers".  But  the code wheel on an HR12A PalmPad is recessed deep enough that there's not enough of the Code Clicker left sticking out to get a grip on.  Per Tuicemen's suggestion,  cut a piece of plastic from an old CD case and glue it into the HR12A code wheel slot with superglue.  (A post on this forum some time back suggested this, but I don't remember the author.)

I am also thinking about getting an IR543 to use with my universal remote control. The manual for my universal remote control has an X10 code, however I believe the IR from the universal remote control has to be converted to RF for my CM12A or the IR543 will convert the IR and send the signal over the line. I have never used my universal remote for an X10 command, so this idea is still a theory at this point. I have seen some posts for the Harmony 880 in a similar set up, however I love my current universal remote from Sharper Image and don't want to give it up.

Anyone else out there using their universal remote? If so, what is your set up, IR to RF or IR to IR543???

You ought to consider the groups of Housecode|Unit combinations you're likely to want to control from your nightstand.  You could create up to 16 different macros controllable from a PalmPad without using the slider switch, or 32 macros if you use the slider switch.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

caudill22

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 03:18:28 PM »

Thank you for the link to the code wheels, that is exactly what I was thinking of. I currently use AHP/CM15A for my macros. I have several macros set up in my bedroom (i.e. all on, all dim, movie time, morning, home from work, gone to work, etc.) set up on a KeypadLinc. I currently use house code M for all macros and house code C for the second floor of the house which causes the dilemma with using my HR12A on my night stand. I guess I could always re-organize all my house codes so that my bedroom units and bedroom macros would be sequential, but it would be easier if I could find a programmable remote to assign any code/unit to any key.

I really think I am going to give my universal remote a try in conjunction with the IR543. I will post some updates as I get further along, but this would be the ideal fix, one remote for everything. One thing I am not sure about yet is how to program the unversal remote with the X10 IR command. Although the universal remote is a "learning remote" there has to be a way to initially send it an IR X10 command. Any suggestions???

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 04:04:47 PM »

I am also thinking about getting an IR543 to use with my universal remote control. The manual for my universal remote control has an X10 code, however I believe the IR from the universal remote control has to be converted

........IR543 will convert the IR and send the signal over the line.

Sounds like you've already figured it out.

See the manual for my universal remote control... on how to set it for X10 codes. Then place your IR543 near your TV so pointing it seems natural. The IR543 will convert the IR codes [you've programed into your remote] into X10 line signals.

I am one of those people that have done something similar (with a Harmony 628) in my Home Theater. It works great for one IR signal to trigger a macro of maybe six events.

But you may want to consider the ultimate Home Automation upgrade.... and simply activate your macros by voice command. You can catch a glimpse of my set-up via a YouTube Video from my BVC Web Site.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:48:13 AM by Dave_x10_L »

caudill22

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 04:23:44 PM »

I don't know if I have it all figured out or not, maybe....., but I am going to test my theory to see if it will work. I have to get an IR543 first thing and then go from there. Since I have never used IR signals to initiate X10 commands this will all be new to me. I checked out your link. I have a home theater set up in my basement with 120" screen and projector, however I have yet to do much with home automation in the home theater except for setting up scenes to dim the lights and set the mood. My home theater is on my list of to do items with X10 that I just haven't gotten to yet. I think I am going to steal your bathroom idea, I have a bathroom off my home theater and it would cool to put a tv in the bathroom so you don't miss anything in the middle of the movie, awesome idea!

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 09:29:26 PM »

I really think I am going to give my universal remote a try in conjunction with the IR543. I will post some updates as I get further along, but this would be the ideal fix, one remote for everything. One thing I am not sure about yet is how to program the unversal remote with the X10 IR command. Although the universal remote is a "learning remote" there has to be a way to initially send it an IR X10 command. Any suggestions???

I may be mistaken, but I think the IR543 will only transmit X10 signals on a single housecode (selected by a code wheel).  If so, I suppose you could use two of them.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

caudill22

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 12:49:21 PM »

Wow, that will cause a problem. I will call X10 to get clarification, if so then I will need to reorganize my house codes and unit numbers. That would be a huge pain in the ass! Thank you for the heads up.

caudill22

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 01:07:20 PM »

Just some FYI, Charles Sullivan is correct. I called X10 to verify, the IR543 will only convert one house code IR signal to the powerline. It looks like I am either going to need more than one or I am going to reorganize some of my house codes and units so I only need one IR543. Thanks again for the heads up :o

Galileo2000

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 12:11:00 AM »

IMO, the best ever remote control solution is the PDA of your choice with the good CIR, the RemoteControl II program, IR-543 and Powermid(s).

It is customisable to every pixel possible.

I am going to post screenshots from my remote X10 screens some day.

Yes, IR543s are using one house code at a time. It is no problem having 2 or more of them in the different locations.

IR543HA (the mode of the IR543) allows multiple house codes and 256 devices to be addressed, it is around $100 I believe.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 12:16:21 AM by Galileo2000 »

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 12:57:44 AM »

IMO, the best ever remote control solution is the PDA of your choice with the good CIR, the RemoteControl II program, IR-543 and Powermid(s).
............  IR543HA (the mode of the IR543) allows multiple house codes and 256 devices to be addressed, it is around $100 I believe.

WOW.... that does sound impressive! Links and images would be nice Galileo2000.

However... as a user (and huge fan) of BVC... I can't but think that voice control of X10 isn't the ultimate remote control device. Admittedly, I do have a PalmPad remote in my end-stand drawer (I just checked.. it IS in there) but mostly I simply tell my Kate what I would like.

I run my Bill's Voice Commander Software (I think it is still only a $30 donation) on an old curb-side quality PC (saved from the landfill). I also run WeatherAloud so I can get current weather conditions and/or reports by just asking. But I think Tuicemen's PC Companion will do that and more. I use a "baby-monitor" microphone system, although many BVC users use intercoms.

If you haven't tried it.... you should check it out the trial download.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 12:22:13 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »

Galileo2000

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 01:22:33 AM »

............  IR543HA (the mode of the IR543) allows multiple house codes and 256 devices to be addressed, it is around $100 I believe.

WOW.... that does sound impressive! Links and images would be nice Galileo2000.

However... as a user (and huge fan) of BVC... I can't but think that voice control of X10 isn't the ultimate remote control device. Admittedly, I do have a PalmPad remote in my end-stand drawer (I just checked.. it IS in there) but mostly I simply tell my Kate what I would like.

I run my Bill's Voice Commander Software (I think it is still only a $30 donation) on an old curb-side quality PC (saved from the landfill). I also run WeatherAloud so I can get current weather conditions and/or reports by just asking. But I think Tuicemen's PC Companion will do that and more. I use a "baby-monitor" microphone system, although many BVC users use intercoms.

If you haven't tried it.... you should check it out the trial download.

Dave,

Thanks for the reply.

Screenshot is below.

I also want to mention that this remote replaced around 10 different remotes, controls all my A/V equipment in all rooms. Really easy to configure and create macros once you master it. I have no affiliation whatsoever with the makers of RemoteControl II, it is just $29 that I spent very well. Link to the RC II manufacturer: http://www.wincesoft.de/html/remotecontrol_ii.html

Tap on the picture invokes macro with the x10 device code and "On". The rest (I guess) is self-explanatory. Hard buttons of the PDA are assigned to Dim/Bright/On/Off/All On/All Off so I don't have to tap the screen If I don't want to.

Tap on the images on the top invokes a different panel with the remote control corresponding to the device taped (TV, Satellite receiver etc.).

No doubts I will try BVC before long. However, I have to mention that I already have one voice-controlled device, my wife. Works perfectly, very reliable.

Best regards.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 03:06:35 PM by Dave_x10_L »

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 09:11:57 AM »

I too, have the MyWife Version 1.0. However, I do have some reliability issues when it comes to the X10 interface.  She just sits there and says "Do it yourself."   Could you please post a link to the newer software/firmware upgrade?  Any help would be appreciated.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.