Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Video Sender - any comments?  (Read 43908 times)

lbgreen

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Video Sender - any comments?
« on: January 16, 2008, 12:36:06 PM »

Just wondered if anyone has comments on the performance of the video sender which is being advertised continually?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Video Sender - any comments?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 03:14:28 PM »

It works! ;)
Since it converts the video to RF you will have the same issues as those that use wireless cams!
Many things can and will interfere with it, once you find them and weed them out you'll have no problems! ::)
Note: hard wired always  gets better quality! :(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

lbgreen

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 03:50:57 PM »

Thanks - I may give it a try. There are several "bundles" available from X10 at reasonable prices. :)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 05:10:59 PM »

Thanks - I may give it a try. There are several "bundles" available from X10 at reasonable prices. :)
Very true! I've had my audio\video sender in use for well over 10 years with very little problems! :D
It came as part of a Cam Anywhere deal, cam (Anaconda) is still in use as well! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

jbourque_99

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 09:44:11 PM »

The x10 Video sender with Lola software may work. If you live in a cave and have NO wireless devices. I have wireless Network, wireless Cards in my computers and Cell phones. And guess what???? THEY ALL USE 2.4 GHZ WIRELESS FREQUENCIES. Even tried hooking this up to a little television in the same room as my computer. Wireless cards close by make it even worse. The best I could get was in the next room where there are no wireless devices. Still, I could only get an intermittent signal. I unplugged my wireless router and was still affected by the active wireless cards being live in my computers. My advice is to find something that does not use the 2.4 ghz spectrum and you might have some luck. However, if you have no wireless network or any wireless devices AT ALL in your house, this MIGHT work. Otherwise, I wouldn't advise the purchase of this device. Wish my experience had been better, because its a great idea, but definitely for the "pre-wireless" world....

drmike29

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 12:35:25 AM »

The quality of the signal in my house was awful. I would think that most people ordering this product have other technology products in their household that use the 2.4 frequency (cordless phones, microwaves, wireless routers). The picture and sound using this product was unwatchable-- even went so far as to test it with the sender and receiver in the same room. I will be returning my purchase within the 30 day grace period. This product did not meet my satisfaction.
Michael

Malisaw

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 10:32:22 PM »

Surprised to see the negative comments -- I'm so impressed with the one I received today (new version with the smaller UFO shaped sender/receiver) that I hunted down this forum to type a review.

The only complaint I really have is that they don't advertise plainly enough what I used it for so the product was slightly tough for me to locate when I started searching for one. 

I live in a 5 bedroom log house and running wires/cables inside the house is rather difficult when you have to drill holes through logs all over the place -- and trying to hide the cables is impossible (it's truly a rustic type log home).  I wanted to hook up a TV in the furthest bedroom from the den which would have required me running about 150ft of cable outside the house and coming in through a window (or drilling a hole through the logs which I'm hesitant to do).  The inside distance from sender to receiver is approximately 65-70ft - both units are on the bottom floor of the house and there are two walls, 12-15" logs plus insulation, separating them. 

What I wanted was to watch something different on the TV in the bedroom than what was on in the den.  Easy enough, hook up the sender to the VCR and use the tuner on the VCR and send that signal to the back bedroom.  Of course I lose the use of the VCR in the den without changing a few cables...but it's not used but a couple of times a year anyway. 

My expectations were a bit low given that I have a wireless desktop about 4 feet from the TV in the bedroom... a wireless desktop about 6 feet from the TV & VCR in the den (that one is directly between the sender and receiver) and the wireless router is in a bedroom upstairs between the sender and receiver.  Bottom line is it works exceptionally well for me!  I *do* get a couple of very small white lines scrolling through the otherwise very sharp video - and those lines seem to cause a slight popping noise which is in the background and does not prevent you hearing the normal audio of the TV at all.  I want to emphasize that these lines are barely noticable - but they are definitely there so I need to mention them....  The IR sender works very well with the existing VCR's remote - but I ordered the learning remote for another ..4-5$? something like 54$ total I think to upgrade to the learning remote.  This allows me to set up the remote for the TV and then learn the channel up/down buttons from the VCR so I don't have to fiddle pressing the device button I want to control -- I leave the VCR turned on all the time just as a matter of convenience so I can do what I just mentioned with the remote (ease of use for the wifie!).

So, same probs a lot have mentioned with the popping noise I think -- but from my perspective.... I paid 50$ (instead of approx 130$ for "outside cable"...) and have a VERY watchable television where I wanted it.

I also tried this upstairs going from another VCR to a little TV without the RCA hookups (old portable TV in an office).  I hooked that up with the 75 Ohm cable and put the TV on channel 3 -- that one is only going about  1/2 the distance but through 1 more wall.  Works perfectly with no video or audio distortion (wireless router is located about 3 feet further from the receiver).  It worked so well I'm ordering another one.

I think the bottom line is that when you appreciate the fact that you are spending 50$ to accomplish a task that you obviously can not do simply and/or cheaply with cable(s)... you can be a little tolerant of an ever so slight nuisance popping sound that in no way makes any program unwatchable.

BEST 50$'s I'VE SPENT IN YEARS and looking forward to spending another 50 tomorrow on a 2nd set!!

ecosse

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 07:53:36 PM »

I wasn't as disappointed with the actual video sender unit as I was with the response I got from X10's Tech Serv. They gave me no answers and ran me around until I gave up on them.   >:(
I'm using the system to send a signal no more than 40' without any major obstructions and only an internal wall in between. I'm now living in Panama and couldn't send it back without major hassle.
The unit itself sends a DECENT picture but the audio interference makes this unit a complete waste of time and money. Tech Serv. obviously didn't have an answer and from what I read here, there isn't one. I did everything they suggested 3 times at least and I cannot get rid of the static.  to Even someone walking near the unit will cause interference and forget all about turning on the microwave.
There's got to be a better anwer, when someone finds please post it here. In the meantime, keep your money in your wallet.

Malisaw

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 09:03:17 PM »

Sorry to hear about your problems with it Ecosse... I don't understand why you can't get a signal 40' -- I just received my 2nd one and am sending that about 35-40' through several walls, shower/metal pipes, etc...with a wireless DSL modem sitting right next to the TV I'm receiving on.  I *did* have to change the wireless channel from 9 to 3, but other than that - no probs with it, picture is perfect and sound is as well.

I'm only a week using these, wish I could help you get yours working.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 04:26:37 PM »

I found the X10 Video Sender/Receiver to be a pretty good product.  I used them for several years and was pleased with their performance.  I used it to "beam" viideo/audio about 100' across my home.

That was until I added a wireless WiFi network.  And, yes, I found the WiFi network interfered with the X10 Video Sender/Receiver, regardless of what channels I tried (and I tried all the combinations).

I now switched to using a non-X10 Video Sender/Receiver that uses 5.8GHz, and there is no interference even with my 5.8GHz cordless phones.  :D
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

lsmall

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 10:14:05 PM »

Just got mine.
I was skeptical. I needed a way of transmitting my PVR output to another TV one floor above. I have been pleasantly surprised. The signal quality is good even with a WiFi access point running about 10 ft away from the video receiver. I don't see any indication of interference.
I am transmitting from an HDPVR to a standard Def TV, so I can't comment on HD transmission, but I have no complaints about the standard Def quality.
The video transmission, as with broadcast Television, works best with line of sight transmission. I am operating through a floor, but the antennas are pretty much facing each other, about 40' apart
The IR relay works perfectly too. This is a great feature.

For $40+shipping, I think this is well worth it.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 03:17:49 PM »

Yeah.... I use the video sender/receivers... both for my cameras video to TV and my Home Theater broadcast to the living room TV.

I have even used it to get Kate (my BVC voice) to the TV.

PLEASE.... keep in mind the videos are "videos of videos" as displayed on my TV... then loaded to (compressed) YouTube.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 01:55:31 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.