Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Feel like a monkey with a football bat  (Read 2963 times)

longbow22

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Feel like a monkey with a football bat
« on: January 19, 2008, 10:41:07 AM »

This is my very first post, up until now I have managed to figure things out on my own.
Here is a brief discription of my setup.
CM15 Plugged into an outlet in the basement, connected via usb to my media center PC
In the basement I have 4 wall switch modules (B1 stairs, B2 Fireplace area, B3 Bar Area, B4 Tv Area)
1 Phase coupler, plugged into my dryer plug (Thought this would eliminate phase problems)
I control my lights in the basement via a credit card remote.
All is fine in the basement (Even have it turning my lights down when I press play to watch a DVD, and back up when I press stop)
Main floor
3 wall switch modules (A1 Front porch light, A2 yard light, and A3 back porch light)
2 lamp modules (A4 small lamp, A5 large lamp)
A1, A2, A4 and A5 are controled with another credit card remote.
1 singal booster (on the back wall close to rear door) Thought this would help get the signal going it an old house.
1 Door chime (C1)
3 Door/Window Sensors (Detached Garage has 2, Back door has 1)
Protector Plus security module (P1)
Eagle motion sensors (not being used right now)

Now thats my basic list of equipment, now onto my problem

I bought all this equipment to really control just 3 lights I have timers setup to turn on A1, A2, and A3 at 17:15 and off at 06:30
I cannot get these lights to turn on via a timer. they turn off via the timer fine.
A macro and one of the credit card remotes will also trigger them.
I can watch the signal booster when the on time triggers and it flashes as though it is getting the signal from the CM15
I also for the heck of it put the signal booster in test mode (transmitts P1 on and Off repeatedly) ALL the lights in question turn on and off.
I have moved the signal booster all over the house, you would like that at least 1 of the lights would work, I mean they are on completly different sides of the house.

I been all over the forums and spoke with tech support, who basically said its a noise issue, takes a stronger signal to turn a light on verse turning it off.

I went so far as to turn off all the breakers in my house except for the one my CM15 is connected to and the front porch light, still no luck.

Any Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks LB

Boiler

Re: Feel like a monkey with a football bat
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 11:27:58 AM »

longbow22,

First - welcome to the Forum.
Second - I sympathize, I've operated a number of football bats over the years.

It sounds as if you have a pretty good understanding of X10 and some of it's inherent problems (noise, signal absorption, couplers, etc).

If I understand things correctly, your problems revolve around your outside lights and timer control.  Everything else appears to work properly, and the outside lights function properly when activated manually via AHP?

You didn't mention what type of switches you were using to control your outside lights.  If you are using WS467 modules, there is a chance that they are a new design that doesn't interface well with ActiveHomePro.  Here's a couple of links that will help determine whether these are "enhanced" units and show how to properly interface them:

Distinguishing New from Old WS467 or LM465 modules

The forum has a sticky here:
The "NEW" LM465/WS467 (Early 2007) Don't Work Like the "OLD"..

If you have different (or older modules) you may still have a problem within the AHP interface.  Under the "tools" tab check the setting "tools/preferences/macro options".  Make sure that the "Issue ON in place of Bright 100%" box is checked and save your file.  If this box is not checked, AHP will issue a series of "bright" commands to turn on your timed lights.  These concatenated "bright" commands can be very hard on repeaters (like your plug in unit - boosterlinc??).

The above is a first pass.  Give it a try and get back with us.

Almost forgot - is your plug in coupler (dryer plug) a passive unit or a "Signalinc Active repeater"?

Boiler

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 01:17:43 PM »

...You didn't mention what type of switches you were using to control your outside lights....
Just to cover all the bases, what kind of lights are they? Any CFLs by any chance?
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

longbow22

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 04:08:42 PM »

Alrighty

After reading a couple of links you guys have posted, I found a workaround that seems to do the trick.
I created a macro that turns the offending lights on.
Created a timer that runs the marcos I created to turn the lights on.
Created another macro to turn the lights off (just in case, it seemed like the off function was working with the normal timer)
Created a timer to run the lights off macro.
I also Checked the "Use On Instead of brighten 100%" in the preferences.

So far it seems to be working fine.

So it seems the issue actually has to do with the model of switch I have and the version of software I am running.
Boy that can drive you nuts, heading down this path or that path thinking you are not doing siomething right, come to find out you are doing it correctly.

Thanks a bunch
LB

Boiler

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 04:27:07 PM »

Longbow,

Not to belabor things, but you can't be certain whether the problem is the switch or your repeater. 

You changed a number of things in your configuration.  Checking the "On instead of brigthen 100%" could have corrected a problem with your booster (unable to handle the brighten commands) or your switches (unable to brighten from an off condition - new WS467).

I'd encourage you to follow Charles Sullivan's post "Distinguishing New from Old WS467 or LM465 modules" to determine whether your units are a "new" design.  This should isolate the problem to your switches or the "boosterlinc" and prevent future problems.

Boiler

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.