Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Starting out question  (Read 5433 times)

greymouse

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Starting out question
« on: January 23, 2008, 02:27:00 PM »

Much like the title sais I am just starting out with x10 and I am trying to build an x10 system and looking for a few answers.

I have looked around the stores in my area and there isnt one that sells x10 so I am trying here.

I am building a security system which would check a person fingerprint before sending a signal to an device to open the door.  Not being very familir with hardware I asked around and x10 was suggested as the best solution.

My question would be if anyone has tried to set up system where the computer controls a device.

Planning on using

Electric Door Strike 8-16vac - http://www.smarthome.com/5190.html
Power supply for the lock - http://www.smarthome.com/5191.html
X10 Universal Module - http://www.smarthome.com/2010.html

and active hope pro software.

Since I dont have any experience with x10 I am hoping to get a few answers if these devices are best suited to this task, if anyone would recomend using anything different from the list above, and if anyone has any tips on how to proceed.

I am posting this in the General because this is a basic usage question but I will be posting under the Home Security so if you run into this more then once I am sorry.

Thank you for reading this and any suggestions you can provice.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: Starting out question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 05:11:19 PM »

Much like the title sais I am just starting out with x10 and I am trying to build an x10 system and looking for a few answers.

I have looked around the stores in my area and there isnt one that sells x10 so I am trying here.

I am building a security system which would check a person fingerprint before sending a signal to an device to open the door.  Not being very familir with hardware I asked around and x10 was suggested as the best solution.

My question would be if anyone has tried to set up system where the computer controls a device.

Planning on using

Electric Door Strike 8-16vac - http://www.smarthome.com/5190.html
Power supply for the lock - http://www.smarthome.com/5191.html
X10 Universal Module - http://www.smarthome.com/2010.html

and active hope pro software.

Since I dont have any experience with x10 I am hoping to get a few answers if these devices are best suited to this task, if anyone would recomend using anything different from the list above, and if anyone has any tips on how to proceed.

I am posting this in the General because this is a basic usage question but I will be posting under the Home Security so if you run into this more then once I am sorry.

Thank you for reading this and any suggestions you can provice.

One thing you should know is that X10 is not very secure.  If your plan is to have an X10 signal activate your door strike, then anyone who can plug an X10 Mini- or MaxiController into an outside receptacle on your house (or maybe even on a neighbor's house) can open your door.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

greymouse

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 12:01:39 AM »

Yes I do realize that x10 is not very secure but I am working on a project for school and I just need something inexpensive for proof of concept.

I dont have much (i.e. any) experiance with trying to integrate non-computer parts with a computer, or signal processing so this is a learing experiance.

If our project expands we will be looking for a devices that are more secure but for now it will be enough to build one that opens when it gets the signal.

Thanks for the warning.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 12:30:16 AM »

Yes I do realize that x10 is not very secure but I am working on a project for school and I just need something inexpensive for proof of concept.

I dont have much (i.e. any) experiance with trying to integrate non-computer parts with a computer, or signal processing so this is a learing experiance.

If our project expands we will be looking for a devices that are more secure but for now it will be enough to build one that opens when it gets the signal.

Thanks for the warning.

The Universal Module can switch 100 VA at 30 VAC so ought to work if the door strike doesn't draw much more than around 3 Amps or so.
You can have AHP send an X10 signal to actuate the UM by executing a one-line command using the AHP Software Development Kit.

Your major effort will be getting the fingerprint data into the computer and analyzing it.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 01:05:41 AM »

If the fingerprint device can signal a successful recognition with a voltage or contact closure output, you can use a Powerflash module to signal the UM506 (universal module), or use the Powerflash's powerline signal to trigger a macro in Active Home Pro.
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

greymouse

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 05:50:49 PM »

I didn't want to start a new post so I am going to be asking my question here.

I finally received my hardware and tested the lock with x10 and it works great.

My question now is if there is way to communicate with the x10 without Active Hope Pro open. 
Just having a macro/file that I can activate from a web server that would unlock the door for set amount of time and lock it again.

I will be taking a look at MisterHouse for perl code but if someone has already solved this problem I would really appreciate hearing about it.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 11:28:19 PM »

I didn't want to start a new post so I am going to be asking my question here.

I finally received my hardware and tested the lock with x10 and it works great.

My question now is if there is way to communicate with the x10 without Active Hope Pro open. 
Just having a macro/file that I can activate from a web server that would unlock the door for set amount of time and lock it again.

I will be taking a look at MisterHouse for perl code but if someone has already solved this problem I would really appreciate hearing about it.

Sounds like a job for the AHP SDK!   ;)
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 05:20:35 PM »

greymouse I'm not sure exactly what your looking to do? There are lots of third party x10 software out there. I could add the ability to fire an x10 command with PC Companion  when started with command line or from a batch file if thats what your looking for? ;)
It could open send the command then close!
Of coarse you can do this now with the SDK and AHCMD.exe as -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) stated!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 05:36:06 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

greymouse

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 07:17:00 PM »

Yeah, I realize that my question was poorly worded but Bill gave me the tool I needed to finish with this part of the project.

Thanks a lot Bill.  :)

I might take a look at PC Companion lather but x10com32.exe provides everything I need right now.

Thank you all for all the hints and advice, I really appreciate it.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.