Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: '07 version AM466 modification?  (Read 37975 times)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: '07 version AM466 modification?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 04:46:45 PM »

I have not forgotten the tests on the extended addresses. Was trying to get my new CM15A and Software installed as all my old ones are in the Date Code range of 2004/2005.
Finally got Customer service to email my missing download file and registration codes.

As for the disabling local controls. My Date Code 08A02 doesn't have enough current from the outlet to trigger on things like CFLs. Just senses when a real toggle of the appliances switch is thrown. Also the new ones only have one sensing circuit. Both the 'am I on or off one' and the local sensing. So if you disable the circuit; I fear a machine gun sound as the switch tried to establish an on or off condition.  :'

wbrells

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 03:32:34 PM »

Hello, folks. I'm new to the X10 world & have just encountered the dread "local control" problem. However, I have a new model SR227 rather than the (apparently) more common AM466. I assume, though, that the circuits for both units should be nearly the same. I don't notice any "Date Code" on my SR227, but I'd be happy to look for it if someone can suggest where it might be located! In any case, my SR227 seems to have a much more complex circuit than earlier versions. There is a motherboard plus a daughter board above it. This daughter board is held in place by the large number of wires connecting it to the motherboard. As a result, it is quite difficult to trace the circuit!

I'm not sure if this new SR227 has a problem with CFLs, but it certainly DOES have a problem with the small transformer that I'm using to light an LED (which I'm using to indicate that my security system is armed). When the controlled outlet is OFF, the LED flickers at about 1/2 normal brightness. I assume the transformer must be drawing 3-5 watts or so, which is not enough to keep the SR227 happy.

Based on an schematic for an "old" AM466 I've attempted to defeat the current sensing logic by clipping all likely looking diodes (and then re-soldering them!). Unfortunately, nothing seems to work... BTW, I can only see ONE IN400X-type diode, and that one seems to be associated with the processor power supply... All the other diodes seem to small-signal types....

Since these new units appear to have been out for a year or so I'm hoping that someone has determined how to disable current sensing on these new units (or concluded that it is not possible to do so). If anyone has a schematic for the "new" SR277 or AM466 it would certainly help with any modifications!

Thanks,
Wayne

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2008, 04:15:32 PM »

In the new AM466 there is only one sensing circuit. It does both Local Control sensing and the on or off status. The on off status is needed for the electronics to know if it is on or off. Then it would ignore a command to go on or off if it is in that state already. I believe in mine it is a small signal type but if you cut it it will most likely chatter.
The LEDs flickering also happens with the new AM466s; CFLs seem happy.
Try a small 7 watt night light on the outlet with the LED array. If it is then happy you will know it is the small sensing current.
Rough measurements. Old AM466 2.37 ma AC and 1.69 ma DC [diode actions here] New one 0.33 ma AC no DC component.

wbrells

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 05:18:59 PM »

I apologize for not mentioning that I also have a new AM466 unit with a date code of 08A02. I had been using this unit to control the LED transformer with no problems at all, but I thought it would be "neater" to use an SR227. Based on my "transformer results" it seems the SR227 may NOT include the updated circuitry found in the latest AM466! (If it did, I shouldn't be seeing the "current sensing" problem...) On the other hand, the circuit in my SR227 doesn't seem very close to the circuit of the "old" AM466... Does anyone know if a schematic for the SR227 (any version) is available somewhere? Again, sorry for my first message not being complete.

Wayne

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2008, 06:46:17 AM »

The transformer driven LEDs may not see any problems with the new appliance module. I only saw mine glow 1/2 brightness with direct driven 120 volt LED bulbs. Though CFLs where better.
I will see if I can find any places with schematics.

wbrells

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 02:10:41 PM »

I was not able to find any schematics for the SR227 but did solve my problem of the flickering LED by using a different transformer. Both the original transformer and the "new" one were designed to charge Nokia cell phones and have identical specifications. However, their outside cases are a little different and they appear to have been made by different companies (both in China). There are clearly some internal differences since the original puts out about 2VDC when the SR227 is "off" while the "new" unit puts out less that 0.1VDC and does not light the LED at all! With the new transformer, then, all is well... (BTW, the SR227 seems to work fine with CFLs - it is only the "old" LED transformer that had a problem.)

Wayne

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 04:05:32 PM »

Thank you for the update. Glad it is now working for you.
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.