Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Where do I get STUFF?!?  (Read 7456 times)

DeltaNu1142

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Where do I get STUFF?!?
« on: June 07, 2007, 11:04:18 AM »

This may be a topic for a more general forum; nevertheless, "STUFF" has become increasingly hard to find over the past 5 years or so.  A perfect example, I used to be able to go to Radio Shack to get just about anything; connectors, capacitors, you get the idea.  Nowadays, however, it's almost a useless stop unless I want to buy a cell phone or some cheap audio equipment.

My current project is replacement of the antennas on my Xcam2's with some RP-TNC connectors & external antennas.  Where should I get the crimp-on connectors?  Any ideas?  (it's particularly hard in this area of Florida where mom & pop shops have gone the way of the dodo).

THANKS!
CM15A with modded antenna - AHP & Smart Macros - IR543 - RR501s - cameras, switches, and sensors oh my!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: Where do I get STUFF?!?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 11:48:17 AM »

I remember when Radio Shack was actually an electronic parts distributor in Boston back before it turned into a franchised consumer shop.

Mail-order is pretty much the only option today.  Mouser and Digikey are probably the best distributors for small orders.  Mouser often surprises me with their diverse inventory.  I ordered two dozen different items for the XTB-II yesterday, and everything was shipped in a few hours.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 06:11:43 PM »

I have also had good luck with Digikey and Mouser. Digikey if memory serves me on small orders has a handling charge, Mouser just actual shipping costs.
www.digikey.com
www.mouser.com

MichaelC

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 07:22:31 PM »

I don't know how techie their inventory is, but for cables and audio/video stuff Monoprice.com is a good, cheap source.

gil shultz

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 09:50:45 PM »

Good Evening,

Just use the web. 
All of the above are good sources.  MPJA.com has a lot of cool items at low prices. 
I believe they purchase  liquidated  inventories.

Hopefully that helps

Gil Shultz

DeltaNu1142

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 11:45:35 AM »

Thanks--yes, this helps.  I've used Digikey on occasion.  But I'm always on the lookout for a local shop I can visit if I need something NOW for a project.
CM15A with modded antenna - AHP & Smart Macros - IR543 - RR501s - cameras, switches, and sensors oh my!

s0urc3f0ur

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 11:36:58 PM »

Not sure if you have a Fry's in your area but they have just about everything.
X10 has brought me closer to my inner geek! But it has aslo made my wife look at me funny!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.