Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "soft start" with WS467 wall switch modules  (Read 19532 times)

creggar1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
"soft start" with WS467 wall switch modules
« on: February 08, 2008, 01:56:59 AM »

Hi, I'm new to X-10 and have just started on my home system. Everything has worked pretty well so far but one problem I'm having is that all three of my WS467 wall switch modules have a "soft start". They turn on and off and respond to dim commands but take about 3 seconds to get to full brightness or to turn off.

All of my 3-way modules work normally including one on the same circuit as a WS467. I have installed an XPCR coupler/repeater but there was no change.

I do have a non-responding lamp module (due to TV, A/V etc. on same line) so until I get a filter on it I won't know if that is contributing to my problem. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. This forum has already been very helpful for my "X-10 learning curve"  Thanks.

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
Re: "soft start" with WS467 wall switch modules
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 06:48:24 AM »

I've read this three times (maybe it's the lack of coffee) - and I can't tell what the problem is?
The WS467's are operating as designed - they will NOT do "instant-on" or "instant-off".

Regarding the lamp module - What lamp bulb are you trying to control?  Does the module work with the same lamp, but a different wall socket?
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

Dmeister

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 07:10:52 AM »

The new WS467 now have "soft start" as a standard feature.   My new WS467 does it too.

Hueyt

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 11:25:12 AM »

The soft start feature was added about a year or so ago as an upgraded feature.  The original WS467 didn't have soft start.  I actually like it because your bulbs will last 3 times longer because they don't get that jolt of electricity to the filaments.  Also it remembers the level of brightness that you prefer which can cut down on your bill each month.  Finally, you have the ability to dim and brighten at the switch which was not possible with the old model.  I have 2 older models if you would like to trade.   ;D

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 12:48:57 PM »

I actually like it because your bulbs will last 3 times longer because they don't get that jolt of electricity to the filaments.

I agree with you, and it is a feature I like with our Leviton X10 compatible switches.  The downside is that some CFLs do not like the ramp.  Dimmable CFLs are hard to find, and are much more expensive than standard CFLs.  With the eventual ban on standard incandescents, this new feature may become a problem in the future.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

creggar1

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 02:35:34 PM »

Thanks to everybody for the quick responses. I was beginning to wonder if the WS467's were supposed to do that. Now I know. I guess I don't mind the "soft start" feature for indoor lights but it makes it a little harder to tell if my outdoor lights actually turned on because of the indoor ambient lighting.(small thing)

Thanks HueyT for your offer. I'll think about it. As for my lamp module it works fine in other locations. I just need a filter to use it where I need it. Thanks again for everyone's help.   ;D

kevinvinv

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 02:13:01 AM »

Is there a way to ID whether or not a particular WS467 has softstart or not?

Thanks.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 09:21:46 AM »

Is there a way to ID whether or not a particular WS467 has softstart or not?

With any certainty, not really.  Since X10 didn't change the P/N, one has to try it and see to be sure.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.