Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: No remote on/off - 3 Way Switch  (Read 6898 times)

seansdca

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
No remote on/off - 3 Way Switch
« on: April 18, 2008, 11:32:17 PM »

This is my first x-10 install, and up until today I've had great success; AHP installed and ran perfectly, lamp modules and single pole switches all work as advertised. The problem I am having is with a 3-way switch (WS-4777), the first one I installed works fine, local and remote from cm15a, the second one though I am running into a rather baffling problem. I wired it up per the directions, and left the switches hanging outside the plastic wall switch box for testing before I buttoned it back up. I first checked local switching, worked fine, tap the master lights come on, go to the slave tap it lights off, repeat in reverse order etc., no problems. Next, go to pc check remote operation through AHP, remote on/off command both work fine. I then place switches back in plastic switch boxes, tap master and slave to ensure connections still good, both work. Go to pc again issue remote command, no go. Both switches still work fine locally, but will only accept remote command when the master is out of the switch box. I double checked (remote command off AHP) a single pole switch on same breaker and it works fine, I'm at a loss as to what could be causing the problem. The master switch is in a single box, but does have quite a bit of wire in it, black and white, twisted and wire nutted together. The 3-way switch controls 4 60w can ceiling lights.   I have gone through numerous searches and articles, but haven't seen anything that resembles my problem enough to put me on a troubleshooting path. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You. 

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
Re: No remote on/off - 3 Way Switch
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 08:20:20 AM »

Both switches still work fine locally, but will only accept remote command when the master is out of the switch box.

I had a similar problem recently with a different model 3 way master.  The solution in my case was a loose connection in the rest of the haywire in the box that was effected by the pressure of the module when it was installed.  Good luck.
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

seansdca

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 03:51:48 PM »

Pulled master out tightened all connections, checked for nicks, cuts, etc., nothing found. I then placed master switch back in place same symptoms: works w/remote cmd o/side box, no go back in, local good.  Went to Frys bought a new master, replaced old one, everything works fine now, remote/local; go figure.

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 07:15:13 PM »

Pulled master out tightened all connections, checked for nicks, cuts, etc., nothing found. I then placed master switch back in place same symptoms: works w/remote cmd o/side box, no go back in, local good.  Went to Frys bought a new master, replaced old one, everything works fine now, remote/local; go figure.

The good news is that it works now.  The bad news is you had to buy a new one.  Is the bad one in warranty so you can get a replacement?  I've had this happen too.
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

seansdca

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 08:18:01 PM »

The switch should be, just bought it a few days ago. Tried it in another 3-way, different branch, for the heck of it (already had a new x-10 switch for the location), same issue, so I will be returning it. Not bad though, out of roughly 20 devices installed that is the only one that failed, and it wasn't a complete failure could still operate locally.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 09:32:56 AM »

These kind of problems can be a real problem to trouble shoot. I'm glad you found your problem. While you may never now why your switch is defective, at least you have determined that it was the problem. Maybe the defective switch has some thermal problems that only show up when mounted in an enclosed wall box.

Anyway welcome to the forum!
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.