Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Appliance Module working with RF, not with ActiveHome  (Read 17302 times)

1madman

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Appliance Module working with RF, not with ActiveHome
« on: February 12, 2008, 10:21:58 PM »

I have an Appliance Module AM466 that works fine with an RF transmitter like my RSS18 Slim Wall, but refuses to honor a request from ActiveHome either clicking on the on/off in the software or with stored timers.

The history shows that the ActiveHome software is sending the signals, but no response. It also shows the RF received and command transmitted from the remote that works.

Any Ideas? Are the 2 signals somehow different if initiated from the remote, as opposed to the software?

Thanks.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: Appliance Module working with RF, not with ActiveHome
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 01:10:52 AM »

Please specify:

Do you have Active Home with the CM11A computer interface, or Active Home Pro with the CM15A interface?

Can't give you an accurate answer without knowing which you have. :(
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

1madman

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 09:49:43 AM »

Good point, thanks.

I'm using a CM15A interface module

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 12:12:16 PM »

Are you using the CM15A to transceiver the switches signal or an additional transceiver?

jtykal

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
  • It was working fine yesterday...
    • Casa Bella - Vacation Condo in Fort Myers, FL
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 12:15:52 PM »

I'm having a similar issue. I'm using a DS7000 as my transceiver for the affected house code (instead of the CM15A). My RF signals are processed by the DS7000, which then sends the command via the powerline. These commands are getting through. The commands from the CM15A are not. I suspect my DS7000 is on the same power phase as my light module, while my CM15A is on the opposite phase. I verified this by disconnecting my DS7000 and configuring the CM15A to act as transceiver for the affected housecode. I see the RF signal being processed by the CM15A, but it does not reach the module. I have a plug-in coupler on order that will hopefully resolve this.

If you are using a transceiver other than the CM15A for the affected house code, this may be your problem as well.
AHP-CM15A(ext.ant)-SmartMacros-OnAlert-DoorMonitor(custom)-Win7

1madman

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 03:03:58 PM »

Only using the C15A as the transceiver

jtykal

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 07:36:10 PM »

Please indulge me the long post -- I'd like to explain my situation as thoroughly as possible. Hopefully the experts can reassure me that I'm on the right troubleshooting track, and other "newbies" like myself can see that it takes more than "plug & play" to get X10 working as advertised...

I'm using a DS7000 security console on House code J.  When I add in the MS15A, I did NOT specify it as a transceiver for house code J. (If I did, I run the risk of repeating commands and potentially causing powerline collisions, right?) So, with this setup, I have two sources of powerline commands -- the DS7000 ("transceiving" the RF commands) and the MS15A (sending AHP-generated commands).

Now, if these two devices are on opposite phases of my house wiring (i.e., DS7000 on phase A, CM15A on phase B), I can see how some modules would operate from remote control but not from AHP, and vice versa. (This is, indeed, happening.) In fact, if the two phases were completely isolated, I would expect RF commands to control all modules on phase A (since they are transmitted by the DS7000), and AHP commands to control all modules on phase B (since there are transmitted by the CM15A). However, I have a bunch of modules that work from BOTH command sources.

So, even though some commands seem to be crossing phases, I figured that a SignaLinc signal coupler plugged into my 240V dryer outlet couldn't hurt, right? Unfortunately, this did not solve my problems.  So, after reading through EL34's very thorough "Fixing your X10 problems..." posting and website (http://www.el34world.com/Misc/home/X10_0.htm), I'm going to try an "active" plug-in coupler/repeater next -- hoping that this will strengthen the X10 signal enough to reach all of my modules.  I don't have ANY available space in my main distribution panel to add circuits for a hard-wired coupler/repeater without replacing the entire panel. Hopefully, the plug-in coupler/repeater will be my magic bullet.  I'll respond with the results of that test next week.

jtykal

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »

Of the three modules that I had trouble with, two of them began working properly with the addition of the SignaLinc 2826B Coupler/Repeater. The remaining module works when I send commands via the CM15A, but not from the RF remotes. The same module plugged into a different outlet works, so I figured the problem may be due to electrical noise at this particular outlet, since it is the wall outlet where my A/V power distribution strip is plugged in. Unplugging my A/V power strip solved the problem, so my next step is a noise filter for the power strip, and maybe a few extras for my other electronics -- just for good measure!

Now if I could just get my AHP macros to behave consistently -- but that's a topic for another thread...  :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.