Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why won't X10 Mini Timer control whole house?  (Read 7852 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Why won't X10 Mini Timer control whole house?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 05:37:35 PM »

So it sounds like the extension cord is sort of a pot luck solution. Try it and if it works great. If not move on to "the next wall to beat your head against".

I have never used a extendion for "attenuation"... just to leak some of the noise created by wall-warts. So far... it has saved a little wall-denting.

I'd be curious if a replacement outlet would make a difference.

I don't know... it wouldn't cost much as a DIY project.

Electrical system updates and upgrades aren't very sexy! Even though my "professional" wire-pulling days where only (?) 36 years ago... we did on occasion work around and add-on to old wire-and-tube systems. I have wondered... how much wire-and-tube is still out there. But I've digressed.

I don't believe in just replacing parts to see if that fixes things! But I would do a little "testing & checking" for sure. Then on the other hand.. if an electrical part has been deemed defective or re-called.. how would we know.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

NGN1000

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 11:56:13 AM »

Thanks for the assistance.  As you have guessed, I am a new user of X10 hardware.  Appreciate the guidance. 

Here is a new question having read your replies. 

Can I use one controller on one phase and a separate controller on the other phase - using a different house code on each phase?  I increase the number of control points (and timer logic) by doing this - from 8 to 16 - 8 control points from each mini timer. 

Seems like that might be a more economical solution to the phase problem instead of buying phase couplers and signal amplifiers! 

Anyone experimented with this approach in the past?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 12:20:43 PM »

Sure one on each phase would work. As long as you only want to control what is on each phase. remember some rooms may have circuits on both phases. My kitchen outlets are on one and the overhead light on the other.  Just something to think about.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008, 12:50:36 PM »

I can't guess at what your home wiring is like... or what futre plans you may have for Home Automation. I (and many others) resolved their phase issue with a simple dryer-plug adapter <link. It's cheap ($20 + shipping), fast and easy (no wiring involved).

When my step-daughter lived in an apartment.. it wasn't as easy. The apartment used some of each phase, there was NO dyrer plug (or any 220) and I didn't have access to the electrical panel(s).

I placed (plugged-in) a transceiver on each phase. I placed a plug-in controller on an end-stand in the living room (harder to loose than a remote control). I attached a stick-on remote at the bedroom door, and gave her two PalmPad remote's (for nightstand and coffeetable) and a keychain remote (for her purse). Although the living room (plug-in) controller would only control the "TV watching lighting" it was always where it should be. The wireless PalmPad remotes controlled everything. The Stick-on and Keychain remotes controlled all the limited buttons allowed.
Home Automation is an always changing technology
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.