Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CM11A gets hot  (Read 2723 times)

gadgetman

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
CM11A gets hot
« on: February 21, 2008, 08:58:29 AM »

I have a CM11A interface that has only one lamp programmed into it. I noticed there was an odor of a hot resistor coming from it. When I touched it I almost burned my hand. Why would this get so hot? This is the second CM11A that I have tried. They both act the same. They control the lamp alright but I am afraid of starting a fire.
                                             Thank you
                                                 Bob

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: CM11A gets hot
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 10:29:24 AM »

I have a CM11A interface................ I noticed there was an odor of a hot resistor coming from it. When I touched it I almost burned my hand.Why would this get so hot? This is the second CM11A that I have tried. They both act the same. They control the lamp alright but I am afraid of starting a fire.

That's not right... it should NOT smell or get hot! I wouldn't [trust] use it.

Could you be using it or a receptacle that is controlled by dimming?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 11:03:52 AM »

...When I touched it I almost burned my hand...
...it should NOT smell or get hot! I wouldn't [trust] use it...

As Dave said, this is not normal or safe. If more that one CM11A is having the same problem, then there's something wrong with your power source.

Is it a standard AC power source? i.e. True sine wave not and inverted source with a square wave.

Have you checked the voltage at that outlet?

Does it make any difference if the CM11A isn't connected to the computer?

By all means, do not use the CM11A till you resolve the problem.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 11:38:15 AM »

I have a CM11A interface that has only one lamp programmed into it. I noticed there was an odor of a hot resistor coming from it. When I touched it I almost burned my hand. Why would this get so hot?

There have been reports of hot CM11A's in the past.  The theory was that they get into a continuous transmit mode that loads down the power supply.  From the beta test, I do know the CM11A can do flaky things if its RS232 cable is detached from the computer without being unplugged from the CM11A first.  We also learned to clear its memory before downloading a new program to insure there wasn't something left from before that could cause trouble.

Googling "Hot CM11A" in Groups turned up over 300 messages.  Some of them may also be helpful.

Jeff

X-10 automation since the BSR days

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.